What car did you trade in for your CX-5?

Traded a 2010 Mazda 3 S Hatch with 23,000 miles.I've never traded a car that new in my life but I grew to hate it .Couldn't see traffic out the passenger side and the gas mileage was a bad joke with the 2.5 engine.I owned a 2005 3i and really liked it so I guess I should have test drove the 2010 awhile longer.
Mazda has got to redesign that thick A pillar mirror combo.Maybe drop the mirror down on the door like the CX-5

Our old faithful 2005 Mazda6 got totalled. We made do with 1 car for almost a year to find the perfect car and finally decided on the CX-5.
I am a sedan/coupe person and didn't really like SUV's before I drove this.

2001 Subaru Outback Sport, 215,000mi.
Was set to get a replacement Subi but frankly, don't like the current models offered with auto-transmissions. Was waiting for the XV but once I saw the CX-5 AWD I fell in love. Wife has a 3, which replaced a Protege; all Mazda family now :)

Sold my 2002 Protege5 with 92,000 km's on it just yesterday. A sad day as it was super fun to drive but the CX-5 is super fun to drive with the MT + nav (with far better gas mileage).

How much did you guys typically get for your trade ins? was it close to Kelly Blue Book value or a lot less.

I have a white 2006 Altima SL package, leather, heated and power seats, foglights, premium Bose system with about 90,000 miles on it. Now KBB shows the lowest value (fair value) at around $7000. I wanted to trade this in for yet another CX-5 but the base model with FWD with the Bluetooth and touchscreen radio package. What should I be looking for realistically if I choose to trade this Altima in? like $5000 or less?

if I sold it privately I could get upwards to $8,500 or more for it. but I don't want to go through that hassle of dealing with people coming to see it and everything.

Traded a 2003 Nissan Murano with 159k that I had bought for cheap a few years ago. Never really liked it, but it was cheap. Much fail after I acquired it - cracked exhaust header ("oh, this is fairly normal" says the dealer ...), failing wheel bearings, replaced tie rod ends, front struts each replaced several times (under warranty after the first) and blown again when I got rid of it, and as the coupe de grace, what I believe was a failed fuel pump AT the dealer AS I was trading it in. Yeah, got a great deal on that ...

Was used to getting 200k + miles on my japanese vehicles before this with very few issues. And, this car had the honor of being the only one to ever strand me away from home in my long history of driving. Another Nissan? No, that's ok thanks. It WAS great in snow however.

Last edited:
My Altima has a crack in the exhaust manifold too!! replaced the wheel bearing on front passenger side as well. It sounds horrible on startup especially the colder days but as it warms up it's not so noticeable. Been driving it like this for 6-7 months now. The car is strong, very good on gas and drives beautifully other than the initial startup noise.

This is why I'd like to trade it in for another CX-5 but I would need to get something decent back for it, otherwise I'll just hold on to it. Maybe I'll take it to the dealer to get a quick quote on what they would give for it. I just don't want them to be freaked out by the crack in the exhaust manifold which will probably cost like $800 to replace.

Yah I didn't repair mine either. Just kept the vent in recirc mode to keep from asphyxiating myself and passengers ... It didn't sound too bad.

Just traded my 2010 Mustang GT! Damn this thing is slooooow. Expanding family and work commute made the stang very impractical. Kind of excited to get back into a mazda though, as I have previously owned a 3 and a speed3.

what i can suggest is get a quote from carmax. i traded a 2004 corolla w. 120k miles on it. It was a little banged up too. KBB in fair value suggested 5k i ended up getting $6200 for it. i found that i didnt have much leverage with them lowering the price on the cx 5 but they did increase the trade to compensate... be firm!! it will work

This is my first post! I am currently trading in a 2010 Honda Ridgeline for a CX5 (I say currently as my CX5 is still in transit from Japan) I won't see it for another couple of weeks.

Basically I love the truck, but it loves the gas station way too much. My office moved and I now park in a crowded parking garage with hundreds of university students who drive way too fast and park way too carelessly - it's hard to find a spot to park such a large vehicle (and the RL is small compared to Fords and Chevy's) and finally the finance rate Honda is charging me is outrageous. I figure I'll save easily $200 a month in reduced fuel and financing costs...just have to be patient for my CX5 to arrive **update, hopefully Aug 29!**

Last edited:
2010 Accord LX. The Accord was a 24K vehicle while the CX-5 was 5k more at 29k. The 5K premium was well worth it imo.

The CX-5 actually as good or better driving dynamics. Fits in garage much easier since its about 10 inches shorter. Much Much Much better braking performance. (Accords had recalls on their brakes). Ours did not qualify for a recall and Honda wanted $600 for new brake pads/rotors for a 24K mile car. What a joke. CX-5 has comparable gas mileage which isn't too bad for a high SUV when compared to a lower sedan. Much more space to haul stuff since back seats pull down completely with no obstructions. Bi-Xenon HIDs and foglights vs halogens and no fogs. 6-speed auto w/manual mode transmission that can rev match vs Accord's 5-speed auto only thats been around for at least 12 years. CX-5 has turn signals on headlight corners, rear, and mirrors plus blind spot monitoring while Accord had turn signals at the rear and front of the car which means someone beside you wouldn't/can't tell if you're switching lanes. 10x higher quality keys vs Honda's super cheap keys. Leather sport style steering wheel and shift knob vs plastic/rubber. USB ports vs none. Better supportive seats for both spirited driving or long trips too. BMW style/sized shark fins.

I traded in my 2007 CX7 touring that i bought new back in 2007. There wasn't anything really wrong with the vehicle and while I do miss the power advantage, I was getting 18 MPG at best on premium. I am getting 30 MPG in my CX5 and loving that it's fully loaded!!

Returned to Mazda

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR-5 4WD. Liked the truck but did not care for the maneuverability nor the gas mileage (was getting about 18mpg overall). Also, bobbed and pitched around quite a bit on rough roads. Got my CX-5 3 weeks ago and loving it. Averaging about 28mpg overall with about 1190 on the odometer so far. I expect the mpg to get better as time goes on. :) I had a 2006 Mazda3 GT and loved it, but was too small as my needs changed and needed to upgrade to a bigger vehicle.

^ Welcome Frisco and nice report. Your mileage so far is near the EPA combined rating and is better than other competing compact SUV's. Enjoy your new ride.

Trading in Saab 9-3 sport wagon 1.9 diesel auto, 42k on the clock. Reluctant in as much as been a good car, but since GM dropped the marque, lack of support and poor supply of parts is frightening.

Moved to Saab after Volkswagen as I fancied a change. Now will be an even greater change.

Alex

Sold Private Party

I put my 2002 Nissan Maxima SE on craigslist and the bulletin board at my work. I expected the sale to take 3 to 6 months, however a friend of mine forwarded it to his Sr Director who's child was having their 16 birthday that week. The car was in great shape and we struck a deal the day after I posted it at work. Now I am car less. :)

We have a 2000 Ford Taurus Wagon that we use for all our family trips...that's my ride now.

I plan to order a Mazda CX-5 GT (White/Sand) around mid August.

Traded my Blue Flame 2012 F150 Supercrew XLT 4x4 in on my 2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 18 days and 950 miles ago. We really like the CX-5, it does everything we need it to like haul both our little ones and still has room for my fishing poles with the 40-20-40 seats (not to mention twice the MPG's of the truck), but I just miss the utility and ruggedness that my truck offered. I will be getting rid of my 2003 SVT Focus and getting another F150 next year some time (preferably 2009 Supercab FX4). But, like I said, we do love the CX-5...no complaints about it and we have gotten 30 mpg on a 90 mile trip with lots of hills. Taking it 340 miles next weekend to see her family and hoping to get closer to the advertised 33 mpg, but still won't complain too much about 30 mpg when the best we were getting in the truck on the highway was 16.5 mpg (rated at 18).

Plans for it? Husky Liner flow mats front and back, Mazda cargo liner, 18 inch wheels with 225-60-18 tires that are slightly more robust than the Toyo (for the dirt roads getting to my fishing spots, and only after the Toyo's wear out...might even keep the 19's if they have more than two tires to choose from by then), and maybe a roof rack for a kayak.

Back