What car did you trade in for your CX-5?

Had a 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L 292hp V8 6 speed. I wasn't using the tow capacity, offroad ability or hauling capabilities of the Explorer. Kept the much quicker whips/sport sedans.

Last edited:
I had a Mazdaspeed6, which was totaled from an accident where I was rear-ended. Wanted another car that had AWD, had a similar feature set(keyless entry,technology,decent sound system, etc. -miss the auto-down/up windows on all 4 windows and ability to automatically open all 4 windows with the FOB) and got good gas mileage. I miss the ole Speed6, I even tried to find a used replacement, but closest one was 700 miles away. Maybe Mazda will create a new Speed6 based on Takeri with SkyActive and maybe even a little Alfa Romeo thrown in. :)

So far I am pleased with the CX-5. :)

I had a Mazdaspeed6, which was totaled from an accident where I was rear-ended. Wanted another car that had AWD, had a similar feature set(keyless entry,technology,decent sound system, etc. -miss the auto-down/up windows on all 4 windows and ability to automatically open all 4 windows with the FOB) and got good gas mileage. I miss the ole Speed6, I even tried to find a used replacement, but closest one was 700 miles away. Maybe Mazda will create a new Speed6 based on Takeri with SkyActive and maybe even a little Alfa Romeo thrown in. :)

So far I am pleased with the CX-5. :)

Sorry about your Speed6. Still enjoying mine after 5.5 years. I would be saddened to lose mine.

We traded a 2003 Altima. 2.5L i-4. Was a great car. Just getting kinda ragged and didn't want to worry about reliability. Really should have just kept it, we got so little trade in...

I traded my Acura Mdx 2008 for this cx5 and i like this vhicule for is fuel conomy is magic

Traded in a Speed3 for '13 CX5 AWD Grand Touring.

Needed another automatic vehicle in the family.
28mpg on regular versus 22mpg on premium.
Larger and more comfortable for daily driving.
HOLY FEATURES BATMAN! The GT is loaded. backup camera, blind spot monitoring, automatic everything, leather, heated seats, awesome HD stereo, moonroof, etc. It would cost over $6000 MORE to get an equivalent 2013 Ford Escape.
Insurance is $30 more per year than the 5 year old, 80k mile Speed3...ain't that some s***!?
Month to month cash out of pocket is almost identical to what it cost to maintain and drive the Speed3.

Many many more reasons...

Last edited:
I traded in my 2003 Protege 5. I loved that car, but started to show its age. Started to rust around the rear wheel wells, and my front wheel bearings needed to be replaced. Gas mileage wasnt the best either. Needed something with a bit more interior room, nice styling, and better gas mileage. The CX5 was a good fit.

I traded my 1994 red 4 door Acura Integra LS. That was a great car---I am counting on the CX-5 to be just as good!

Mazda 3 2008.5 sport gx. We didn't get enough features in it when we purchased, it's not going to be terribly missed. Our mileage was quite bad in the city with that as well. Going from auto, air con and power everything to a cx-5 gt was a huge leap. Hope to take delivery in less than 2 weeks!

Last edited:
2006 Ford Focus ST. Not the European version, the American version, which was just the regular Focus with a slightly larger (2.3L) engine and some suspension bits from the SVT.

I liked the car, it was a lot of fun to drive. But it just wasn't that well built. It had some obvious interior defects, it was fairly loud, and it was pretty small for a guy as tall as me. I fit but my knee always touched the center console. Also very limited in terms of cargo capacity, because while it had a large trunk the opening was kind of small and the rear seat pass-through was basically useless.

Eventually I just became tired of it, and I wanted something more comfortable and more versatile that was equally fun to drive and still economical. I looked at a lot of cars including the new Focus (just as cramped, if not more so) and I wasn't looking at SUVs at all. But after discarding all the compact cars for one reason or another I decided to look a the CX-5, because people were saying it was incredibly good fun.

They were right, and I'm happy with my purchase.

Replacing a 1999 Volvo S70 (purchased new). It was scheduled for replacement in 2009. Bought a sloop in 2002 and found a sedan no longer handy when taking things to/from boat for a weekend or during seasonal preparation for launch/haulout; and so decided replacement would be a small SUV. Every new car purchased has needed to have better economy than the one before so replacement was a problem. This was solved with the introduction of the diesel powered Forester in 2008 - coming to Canada "probably next year". In 2010 the diesel Tiguan will be coming to Canada "probably next year". This has continued to be the claim and I am still waiting.

Now the diesel CX-5 will probably be coming to Canada in the fall of 2013, but I have learned that you can end up waiting forever. The point is that in the gasoline version they have introduced a product that finally meets MY requirement for fuel efficiency, and I have grown weary of waiting for some company to offer a product I really want to buy. I am comfortable with the decision. I liked the Forester but am happy to avoid the VW over perceived long term reliability and maintenance issues. Long term reliability is important to me. Although the Volvo has been the nicest car ever owned (don't count my Miatas as they are toys, are emotional rides, and were bought used), the best car ever owned was a 1990 Mazda 626 bought new and kept nine years.

Brian

We replaced our 2006 3 GT which had been repainted by Mazda, was getting close to needing new tires and brakes. It had a lot of rattles and squeaks. Some from the drivers seat and others from the whole body it seemed. I often said the engine had too much torque when starting from a dead stop in snow, even with good winter tires.

With our metropolitan gray FWD GS, we get more room for the kids and luggage, better fuel economy and I feel more zen driving it than the 3. It was easy to be aggressive in the gas. Combined with a 2007 Fit, I believe we have a decent fuel efficient family fleet.

In 2010 the diesel Tiguan will be coming to Canada "probably next year". This has continued to be the claim and I am still waiting.
Now the diesel CX-5 will probably be coming to Canada in the fall of 2013, but I have learned that you can end up waiting forever.

Brian,

I've driven both petrol and diesel Tiguan. Petrol and Diesel Passat and Petrol and Diesel CX-5. There is one clear difference between Mazda and VW and the way they treat the engines.

In the VW models, Diesel is for fuel economy, Petrol is for performance.
With the CX-5, petrol if for fuel economy. But the Diesel is best of both worlds.

To quote June 2012 issue of Australian Wheels magazine regarding Tiguan and CX-5 clearly being best two SUV's in their 11 SUV comparison:
(They decided to remove the petrol CX-5 and diesel Tiguan from comparison based on performance).

"Okay, let's not steer around the elephant - the 2.0L petrol version of the CX-5 is as slow as one. With this in mind, we've brought together the most persuasive engines in the line-up from Mazda and VW. The CX-5 is represented in the 2.2L turbo-diesel form, because the atmo 2.0L petrol just isn't enough engine. Meanwhile, VW's turbo petrols are just so potent and efficient they make its turbo-diesels seem less appealing, so that was (and is) the engine to have in the Tiguan".

If you want performance, go with the Tiguan Petrol. It nearly gets close to the CX-5 Diesel in performance. But unfortunately driven sedately, it uses more fuel that the most aggressively driven CX-5.

If you want fuel economy, the CX-5 in either Diesel or petrol has no peer.

Fuel economy for the various Tiguan's and CX-5's are (Combined / Urban /Highway in L/100km)

Volkswagen Tiguan 132TSI 2.0L Turbo-Petrol AWD (95 Petrol)
8.8 / 12.0 / 6.9 L/100km
CO2 Emissions: 205g

Volkswagen Tiguan 103TDI 2.0L Turbo-Diesel AWD (Diesel)
6.2 / 7.1 / 5.7 L/100km
CO2 Emissions: 164g

Mazda CX-5 2.0L Atmo-Petrol AWD (91 Petrol)
6.4 / 8.0 / 5.5 L/100km
CO2 Emissions: 160g

Note how already, Mazda's Petrol betters the VW Diesel on the highway and in emissions
Impressive!!

Mazda CX-5 2.2L Twin Turbo-Diesel AWD (Diesel)
5.7 / 6.7 / 5.1 L/100km
CO2 Emissions: 149g

(You can see from my Fuelly how I am yet to get close to these figures - I am nearly doing 100% city traffic)

Last edited:
I traded in my 2005 BMW X3 with 3.0L engine. It was a good SUV, but the 14 mpg in my daily commute with premium gas is what prompted me to look into Mazda CX5. Except for the acceleration and some handling compared to X3, I don't miss much in my new CX5 Touring.

we down graded from our thirsty kluger grande to a toyota corolla levin zr.. biggest mistake in my life..at 5 months old we traded it on the cx5..no regrets thus far.

traded my 02 merc mountaineer got tired of putting money into it every month + gas mileage was terrible my new cx5 great on gas + easy in and easy out of vehicle

Traded in my 2002 Protege 5, reason it was just getting to old to be my only reliable mode of transportation.

I have heard a lot of negative about the power in the CX-5, I have no clue why this is an issue personally. I don't know what these people are doing in their cars but why do you need so much power? Unless you are towing something or always going off road there is no need for power. I hear people say, I need to over take someone faster, I need to merge on the highway etc.. I can do all of these things in my vehicle just fine. If you live in the city and you complain about not enough power I would love to know what you are doing!

Very well said!

I traded in my 2001 Toyota Tundra with 198,000 miles. Best vehicle I ever had. It was reliable, powerful, and useful. It was also expensive to drive and buying another truck was over my means so the CX-5 won me out. I bought the CX-5 because of the gas mileage, utility, looks, features for the money, and fun to drive for an SUV.

Last edited:
No trade, private sale...2008 mazda5 touring manual trans (yeah a combo that supposedly didn't exist). We will miss the sliding doors but love the better mileage.

2007 Honda Element AWD
Loved the utility, hated the mileage, plus My wife thought t made her look Frumpy...:)

Gave up my first gen Scion Xb.

Mainly needed AWD because of move to Colorado. Wanted something fun to drive that looked fun and wasn't too expensive. Went from 105 hp to 155 hp, but lots more weight. After first week, I have to say I enjoy the CX-5. Will upgrade the stereo and add some more sound deadening. Quite a bit of road noise at freeway, just like the Xb.

Back