What are the negatives to blocking off the EGR

Mid_Life_Crisis

Contributor
:
2007 MS3
I just about had a heart attack at the dealership. I have a cel that reads as a random misfire. The EGR valve is stuck wide open. The dealership wants $850.00 to fix it. Roughly $450 in parts. It`s Christmas: I don`t have that kind of extra cash lying around. If I block the thing off instead of replacing it, what are the drawbacks? Will I hurt the engine somehow?

EGR works like a chemical intercooler in the combustion chamber. You will significantly increase combustion chamber temps if you remove it. Enough for pre-ignition or knock, enough for melted plugs and burnt piston tops, who knows?? but, that's what it does and how it works.

This engine runs pretty hot combustion chamber temps as it sits and adding heat there isn't in the engine's best interests as it sits, imho.

Last edited:
EGR works like a chemical intercooler in the combustion chamber. You will significantly increase combustion chamber temps if you remove it. Enough for pre-ignition or knock, enough for melted plugs and burnt piston tops, who knows?? but, that's what it does and how it works.

This engine runs pretty hot combustion chamber temps as it sits and adding heat there isn't in the engine's best interests as it sits, imho.

I`m confused. How does preventing hot exhaust gasses from getting recirculated raise the cylinder temps? Not being a wiseass, I really don`t get how that works.

...and how the hell is this not covered under the drivetrain or emission warranties?!?!?!

because that hot recirculated burnt air doesnt help with the ignition in the cylinder

that's a question that you need to direct to service manger and or mazda na if he is telling you it is not as it is defintely a part of the emissions control system.

here's some add'l info for you:
http://www.aa1car.com/random-misfire/
http://www.aa1car.com/library/emis2p.htm

Thank you for the links, especially that first one.

Thank you everybody else who answered, too.
I wouldn`t have thought that dilluting the intake charge with hot exhaust would lower the temperature in the combustion chamber.

Does anyone know if there are reputable aftermarket manufacturers of EGR valves as an alternative to a Mazda part? I`m looking online with no success.

have you tried the cleaning trick of the egr? there is a how to on here somewhere. might be worth a try before going through all the hassle of removing it.

that's a question that you need to direct to service manger and or mazda na if he is telling you it is not as it is defintely a part of the emissions control system.

here's some add'l info for you:
http://www.aa1car.com/random-misfire/
http://www.aa1car.com/library/emis2p.htm

I dont think the dealer would tell him it's not part of the emissions system. What the dealer is saying is that the egr valve is not part the emissions system that is covered for 80k/8years. The federal epa laws dont mandate that the ENTIRE emissions system be covered for that duration; only parts of it.

try and find a mechanic that could maybe do it cheaper. $850. Wow, I would s*** if they told me that.

yeah its all the labor thats going into getting it.

as p5 owners we are lucky enough to have easy access to it with the intake and battery out. the engine in the ms3 is extremely cramped and theres probably a grip of things that need to be removed.

intake, battery, intercooler, charge pipes, etc. all of that is technician time. than it all has to be reassembled.

I've heard of ZERO negative effects caused by the egr delete other than a pesky CEL and you no longer have lovely gunky carbon blowing back into your intake which is a real shame. Just block that fucker off

combustion temperatures exceed 2500 degree F., atmospheric nitrogen begins to react with oxygen during combustion. The result is various compounds called nitrogen oxides (NOX), which play a major role in urban air pollution. To reduce the formation of NOX, combustion temperatures must be kept below the NOX threshold. This is done by recirculating a small amount of exhaust through the "exhaust gas recirculation," or EGR. valve. This dilutes the incoming air/fuel mixture and has a quenching effect on combustion temperatures which keeps NOX within acceptable limits.

There Definition..

Ps. i wouldnt just ''Block that fucker off""
lol.

I just about had a heart attack at the dealership. I have a cel that reads as a random misfire. The EGR valve is stuck wide open. The dealership wants $850.00 to fix it. Roughly $450 in parts. It`s Christmas: I don`t have that kind of extra cash lying around. If I block the thing off instead of replacing it, what are the drawbacks? Will I hurt the engine somehow?

Blocking the EGR usually doesn't cause any major problems.
Keep in mind that the EGR valve is normally closed at idle and (at or near) WOT.
In theory, you will lose some efficiency while cruising.

The EGR system is not covered by either the powertrain or emissions warranty(go figure), so if you have over 40k on your MS3 it's on your own nickle. You might ask the dealer for a "good will" adjustment, but I wouldn't ho;d my breath. My heap is throwing the P0401 fault code -
"EGR flow insufficient"- on an intermittent basis, so I'm going to try and flip mine before it becomes a constant "feature".

Just for s**** & giggles I read my useless 03 warranty book and the emissions warranty did provide coverage for an egr for 2 years/24K whichever came first.

So it would be best to read your applicable warranty information booklet for the time/mileage and parts application.

In 6+ years and almost 80K miles I have never had a CEL for the egr. I like to think that is do to my frequent seafoam treatments via that pcv hose and added to the gas.

There is no way that I would pay that much for stupid emissions part. $450/$850 could be used on something that actually enhances the performance of the car.

You know what? I'm a bit irritated by the assumption that there's some concentration of genius over at MSF. Frankly, I've seen, if anything, more concentrated pre-teen douchebaggery over there. People say something intelligent/creative/innovative/thoughtful, then get basted by the onslaught of shitheads, get frustrated, leave and the shitheads remain.

**There, as here, there are people who really understand engines and have experience with them and there's that don't.**

On this point, EGR delete WILL have the combustion chamber results I outlined earlier. Will that be enough to push this car over its danger line? Too many variables to draw a definitive, absolute conclusion. Most likely not but, every car is different, as is every environmental condition and driver behaviour.

Back