Well, that didn't take long... Rock damage

rockethead26

2019 CX-5 Reserve
:
N. Arizona @ 7000'
I have a 4-week old CX-5 GT-R in Soul Red and last weekend, it took 3 hits from rocks in about 5 minutes. Two are pin head sized chips that I didn't bother to take pictures of, but the chip looks light gray so the paint may be entirely missing. The biggest hit happened at an oblique angle and looks like it may have only damaged the dealer applied ceramic coat or possibly the clearcoat as well.

I have attached a pic of the latter. There are two close spots of damage, the larger about a centimeter long.

Mazda Rock Damage_1.JPG

I know the pin head chips are impossible to fix, maybe a spot treatment of CarPro Essence+?

The surface damage pictured here, I have no idea what to do. Is this where a clay bar would help? I am new to all of these new car products and techniques. I already have the Essence+ in my stash of new car care products, but not a clay bar.

Thanks all,

Jim

Jim,
Try Scratch Removal. It costs about $10 per bottle at AutoZone.
If the damage is only at clearcoat level, you might be able to buff it out.

Jim,
Try Scratch Removal. It costs about $10 per bottle at AutoZone.
If the damage is only at clearcoat level, you might be able to buff it out.

Thanks, Ceric. Sounds like a plan. Should I then all the Essence+ nano coating on top if the buffing works?

I'd contact a local professional detailer before trying anything. I'm sure most would be willing to look at the picture and suggest something based on what you have available.

Personally, I'd try a polish first, then a rubbing compound if the polish wasn't enough. Then follow with the Essence+ to restore the ceramic coating and add protection.

I'd contact a local professional detailer before trying anything. I'm sure most would be willing to look at the picture and suggest something based on what you have available.

Personally, I'd try a polish first, then a rubbing compound if the polish wasn't enough. Then follow with the Essence+ to restore the ceramic coating and add protection.

Thanks for the tip. Do you have a favorite polish you might recommend?

Thanks for the tip. Do you have a favorite polish you might recommend?

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (as well as the Ultimate Compound) should work just fine, and is readily available at local stores like Walmart, Autozone and such.

I was gonna raise this subject.

When I started looking at the CX-5 in 2018, the SCRM paint fragility was as hot a topic as CR-V oil dilution. It seems to have gone away.

Makes me wonder if Mazda improved the paint for 2019.

OP: Sorry about your paint. I have a scratch going across the hood of my 2019 Eternal Blue. I'm sure it came from the dealer that way but did not notice it when I took delivery. I've already detailed & waxed the car and will deal with it in the Spring. I've got some stains on the hood I couldn't get out that I'll be seeking help on at that time.

Since no one mentioned it, the clay bar does not serve as rubbing or polishing compound. It removed particles of impurities that get embedded in the paint...you can feel them. The particles are too embedded for a regular washing to dislodge...they actually stick to the clay. It does not polish or buff.

In reference to soft/thin paint, this seems to be an issue on a lot of newer cars, not just Mazda. I think it has something to do with the switch to newer, more enviro-friendly paints. A high contrast under coat will make the chips more obvious. As mentioned in earlier posts, lot of scuff marks can be buffed out using quality rubbing/polishing compounds. Since I hate rock chips and scuff marks, I always install paint protection film on the front of my new vehicles.

Yeh, AK Goat, I agree.

The low VOC paints are certainly more fragile.

But I believe it's still recognized that German cars have the most durable paints, the Japanese cars have the least durable, and everyone else is somewhere in the middle.

I have a scratch and some stains (all on the hood) I should post for you to look at. I could use some advice. I intended to do PPF but was not willing to shell out the bucks. I figured it was not as crucial because I opted to not get the SCRM paint.

The metallic colors also tend to show the scratches much more easily. I had a Ruby Red metallic Ford Edge...every time I washed it had more scratches and dings showing. I bought a white CX-5, see how that holds up.

My hood is littered with small chips. Happens to every car I own. My external blue mica GT-R only has 14k miles.

My commute involves getting on the highway after driving though a town with dirt roads. Dirt roads + snow tires + expansion joints in the highway = bad news.

I stay way back from other cars at the joints and in general. But there’s no avoiding passing slower cars.

Maybe I’ll smarten up with the next car and pay for the PPF.

Back