Weather Warnings on 2020 Signature?

:
2020 CX-5
I been getting weather warnings popping up on the infotainment screen of my new 2020 Signature. None have been useful; a flash flood warning 2 counties away is not information I need. I'd like to turn them off, but I can't find where they are coming from. I went through the menus of both the car as a whole and the navigation system and didn't see anything that looked like it would turn these warnings off.

Does anyone know where these come from and how to get rid of them?

Thanks.

I get weather alerts on mine from places I've never heard of before. :)

Mazda does a poor job documenting Travel Link - there's one page in the Owner's Manual that does little more than show you which features are included, but not how to use or configure them.

We have this same issue on ours. I also had it with my Lexus, before the trial subscription to XM weather expired. Totally useless.

It's disappointing they don't have a decent product, considering the annual fee.
The XM weather radar they supply for the general aviation market is decent but it's $500 a year and you need a special receiver.

Its funny cuz, I live in Toronto Canada, and I get Weather warnings for upper NY State and Pennsylvania all the time.

Thanks for the notice! LOL

I get weather warnings for the four counties that are within a hundred miles of my home. I actually find them useful as I live in the mountains and if traveling, things like high wind warnings i.e. Santa Ana wind conditions which can be 50-60 MPH gusts with blowing sand in the desert areas that I may drive across or flash flood warnings, also in those desert areas are conditions that I wish to avoid.

I agree weather warnings can be useful and even life saving. I wish there were better options to get them.

Doesn't work out away from cell towers. Good for emergency alerts but the weather isn't always that severe.

Are you saying SiriusXM Navweather works off of cell towers? 🤔

No. He/she was pointing out that the WEA feature for cell phones works off cell towers.

BONUS: The WEA feature (and 911) can still work even if a phone says "NO SERVICE". "No service" can mean that paid services aren't available in that location because of contractual agreements. A phone that displays "no service" can still receive WEA alerts and call 911 if the phone is in range of a cell tower. For example, most prepaid/cheap service plans don't have access to all cell towers for normal, so they'll sometimes say "no service" while someone's phone with a postpaid plan will show service.

I can't say I've ever gotten any WEA alerts on any cell phone I've ever owned even in town. I get those Amber alerts on occasion. Do you have to get an app for the WEA?
If the alert was specific to a single cell tower that should eliminate the problem of getting distant, unwanted alerts.
I have this NOAA weather radio and I don't keep it tuned in because when there are storms anywhere within several counties it makes an alarm every 15 minutes. It's really hard to stop so I just unplug it.

I can't say I've ever gotten any WEA alerts on any cell phone I've ever owned even in town. I get those Amber alerts on occasion. Do you have to get an app for the WEA?
If the alert was specific to a single cell tower that should eliminate the problem of getting distant, unwanted alerts.
I have this NOAA weather radio and I don't keep it tuned in because when there are storms anywhere within several counties it makes an alarm every 15 minutes. It's really hard to stop so I just unplug it.

On an iPhone:

Settings > Notifications > GOVERNMENT ALERTS

You can enable or disable AMBER Alerts (child abduction), Emergency Alerts (i.e. tornado, flood, etc.), and Public Safety Alerts (i.e. gas leak, chemical spill, etc.). You cannot disable Presidential Alerts (i.e., enemy attack). I had to turn off AMBER Alerts because they were too frequent.

IMG_1154.PNG

That's interesting. I've gotten at least one Presidential alert. I think there is an option to make it vibrate or flash. I guess they could be pretty important. The amber alerts don't happen that often around here so I'll leave them on.

Back