2007~2015 Ways to improve 1st gen CX-9 appearance?

I am in love with the second generation (2016+) CX-9 but decided to be more financially responsible and am considering 1st gen instead. I'm mostly looking at 2013 models as I don't like the way the previous models look, but willing to go older if there are some mods for them.

What are some modifications that can be made to improve the appearance? Is there any way to make it look somewhat more like the 2nd gen? Any sort of accenting, body kits, etc? I'm not a super car guy but I am capable with tools and would love to buy an older model and make it my own and have it stand out some. Any ideas?

There is very little aftermarket support for the first generation model. Outside of a few replacement grille kits and maybe running boards, the options are limited.

The best thing you can do is compound, polish, and wax it. A proper detail and removing haze from the headlights will make the car look brand new again. Other than that, you may be able to vinyl wrap or plastidip any chrome bits you don't like. The reality is you can't significantly change the way a car looks without spending large amounts of money, so don't buy a car if you don't like the way it looks. I think it's better to pay more for the car you want than to settle for one you don't.

The best thing you can do is compound, polish, and wax it. A proper detail and removing haze from the headlights will make the car look brand new again. Other than that, you may be able to vinyl wrap or plastidip any chrome bits you don't like. The reality is you can't significantly change the way a car looks without spending large amounts of money, so don't buy a car if you don't like the way it looks. I think it's better to pay more for the car you want than to settle for one you don't.
I don't hate how it looks (as opposed to the 2010-2012 version), I just was hoping there was something I could do to make it pop just a little more. The aftermarket parts aren't nearly as bountiful as other platforms like the Ford explorer.

Not a CX-9 owner here but have you considered aftermarket wheels? How about aftermarket head and tail lights...You'll have to make sure they're road legal and the quality may be hard to verify but it might be worth checking out.

Lower it, tint the windows, toss on some better wheels, de-badge, de-chrome, remove roof rack, redden up the tail lights. Still working on the de-chrome part.

F672EA04-1927-477A-8AEA-38959C4B5E7F.jpeg

57AFC398-72AF-4F97-97E9-BD6FB4489016.jpeg

Looks pretty good. I mainly wanted a way to make the front look better though lol.
Thanks. Very limited on the front. I did some research and it appears that the 2010-2012 headlights will fit the 2007-2009, and they look a little bit better. There is a guy on FB that painted his headlights, so give them a different look. I will see if I have them saved somewhere.

Other than that, we are stuck with what we have.

Thanks. Very limited on the front. I did some research and it appears that the 2010-2012 headlights will fit the 2007-2009, and they look a little bit better. There is a guy on FB that painted his headlights, so give them a different look. I will see if I have them saved somewhere.

Other than that, we are stuck with what we have.
Here are a couple of pics. Not my cup of tea, but I get what he is going for.

AB3ADC7E-A50F-4F25-A5DC-B45E57415E93.jpeg

303E0D98-19C5-4F52-AFA8-DC2455BC02EF.jpeg

I am in love with the second generation (2016+) CX-9 but decided to be more financially responsible and am considering 1st gen instead. I'm mostly looking at 2013 models as I don't like the way the previous models look, but willing to go older if there are some mods for them.

What are some modifications that can be made to improve the appearance? Is there any way to make it look somewhat more like the 2nd gen? Any sort of accenting, body kits, etc? I'm not a super car guy but I am capable with tools and would love to buy an older model and make it my own and have it stand out some. Any ideas?

If you don’t have fog lights. You can install one.

lots to do for looks, not much in the way of custom parts that i've seen. look online. imo, if you have the white with gray rims, ya. bland. taillight blackout, chrome emblem blackout, big chrome rims... lower it... lots to do, if you live in a big city.

You are only limited by your own imagination. If you're in a big city, change that to cash. I like the latter 1st gen, headlight eyebrows make it look a lot more like the 2nd gen if you want, grill/ fog light changes...

Back