Water Pump failure led to need for new engine - Mazda not helping at all

I've been looking to replace my old Pathfinder, and was considering a used Explorer as one of my options.
I am so glad I did my research, both here and on Ford forums.
The Explorer is definitely off the list now due to this water pump problem.
Thanks to those who posted.
Time to look elsewhere.

Ugh...in the same boat! (118K miles so right at the suggested maintenance period for this part)

Wife was driving it about a week ago and notice a rough idle as she got off the highway. I chalked it up to possibly a loose hose, bad gas, etc, because I wasn't aware of this issue. I told her to get it back home and she drove it and made a couple of stops along the way. About 1/2 mile from the house, she tells me she hears whining so i know right there it's the bearing in the water pump. Pulls into the driveway, car dies, weep hole dumps all the antifreeze.

The good news is that it still turns over, i don't hear any knocking. I'm just not sure if I can salvage by replacing pump and chains or if I should just try to have someone drop an engine in there

Likelyhood I can get it fixed "enough" to drop it on a dealership? Any other Thoughts/comments?

Ugh...in the same boat! (118K miles so right at the suggested maintenance period for this part)

Wife was driving it about a week ago and notice a rough idle as she got off the highway. I chalked it up to possibly a loose hose, bad gas, etc, because I wasn't aware of this issue. I told her to get it back home and she drove it and made a couple of stops along the way. About 1/2 mile from the house, she tells me she hears whining so i know right there it's the bearing in the water pump. Pulls into the driveway, car dies, weep hole dumps all the antifreeze.

The good news is that it still turns over, i don't hear any knocking. I'm just not sure if I can salvage by replacing pump and chains or if I should just try to have someone drop an engine in there

Likelyhood I can get it fixed "enough" to drop it on a dealership? Any other Thoughts/comments?

If you are seeing water on the ground that's actually a good sign in this case.

Take off the oil fill cap and look in there. Also look at the dipstick. If you see something that looks like a milkshake, your engine's prognosis is poor. Otherwise, you are probably just need a water pump.

If you are seeing water on the ground that's actually a good sign in this case.

Take off the oil fill cap and look in there. Also look at the dipstick. If you see something that looks like a milkshake, your engine's prognosis is poor. Otherwise, you are probably just need a water pump.
Yeah i know there's some contamination in there. Though i have talked to a couple of people who have had success repairing and then running a 0W oil through an engine after it's been penetrated with antifreeze for a few days and then performing a normal oil change right away. Just not sure if its worth the roll of the dice at 118k bc of other possible failures (transfer, trans, etc)...

Tough spot to be in!

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and engine swap for peace of mind and to be able to sell it quickly.

Can anyone comment on swapping a 2012 with a 2010 engine? Are all of the brackets the same or are any modifications needed?

My pump failed last Tuesday. I did the job myself and replaced the pump and all timing components and chains. Engine was coated in milkshake oil. I finished the job and fired her up tonight. She is now purring like a kitten. Have 185k miles on it and knock on wood this has been the only major mechanical issue.

My pump failed last Tuesday. I did the job myself and replaced the pump and all timing components and chains. Engine was coated in milkshake oil. I finished the job and fired her up tonight. She is now purring like a kitten. Have 185k miles on it and knock on wood this has been the only major mechanical issue.

Wow you did that fast. Did you have to hoist the motor or anything?

I have issue with my engine needing replacement today. Mazda’s defective water pump caused engine failure with coolant leaking into my engine. I think Mazda should be accountable somewhere here. Just paid off the car, fully serviced maintenance throughout life of the car, and 99k miles this happens. I really thought I bought a shoot to kill Mazda back in 2014, no dice.

Back