Water Leaking In Trunk

91Protege

:
91 Protege LX, 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
So Yea I have water leaking on the left side of the trunk. The little well there has some in it. Then I pulled the trunk panels out to see, and it looks like its leaking down where the latch is and running over to the left side(drivers side). There was water under the spare also. Anyone run into this. Im going to see if my Mazda dealer has the trunk seal. Doesnt look like it could come from anything else.

I seen many post over the years on trunk leaks. If its not the weatherstripping then you will need to pull the tail lights and put them back in after laying down a fresh bead of sealant before putting them back in.

I figured the tail lights, but I dont see where it would leak from. The nuts just come through, and then the grommet where the wires come through. My 91 Protege leaked through the lights because you could change the bulbs from inside the trunk, and the seal wore out. Ill try to get the seal and hope for that.

I don't think it's the seal itself. I have found some water in the well on the left side of the trunk before. TheMan posted a thread about trunk leaks, it has to do with the body seam behind the taillight becoming separated.

Your going to have to yank the tail lights out.. close the trunk, soak it with a hose, with from the back seats look with a flashlight(you will see light reflect off the water easier)

check near the rear strut(from the rear fender) theres a plastic plug.in my case both were missing because the pressure washer.

Back