Water in passenger footwell - where's the leak?

Im gonna try fixing that seam when it gets warmer and i have a bit more time hope that will work

I've got water entering the passenger, front floorboard. Not a lot, but definitely noticeable. Not sure where it's coming from and have looked at the seams and nothing.

Stripped out my interior and found my passenger leak for the past 4yrs that was supposed to be under the dash to be coming through the door and running over my speaker and out through onto the door sill. Free install at Circuit City on my infinity's and didin't use the hoods from the stock speakers to divert the water into the door drains (these were pretty clogged too). Popped the hoods on there and good to go so far! Finishing up sound deadening (home depot) on the floor, firewall, doors, panels and trunk. Fenderwells next
smile.gif
Also have the materials for my aluminum radiator fan shroud and cold air box yay!​

hi, last weekend thunderstorm I got water inside my passenger side. A pool of water at the front and rear seat and messed up my alpine 4 channel amp. that is under the pass. seat. I thought that I left the window open a little but I started driving away when more water came rushing in through the firewall by the fan blower. I took the bottom cover out and I see the fan blower wet. I am going to check the a/c drain pipe to see if its clogged. My car sleeps under a tree and I see a bunch of little tiny green balls (seeds?) at the bottom of the windshield. I am going to find the drain pipe and see if I find the problem....thanks for your comments. The dealer told me that is about two hours job and is not covered under warranty.

this thread gets a WIN!!! my symptoms are the same will provide pics when i get around it...for now i protect the ECU

water leak on floor of 2002 Mazda Protoge

Hi Everybody. So glad I found this forum. I bought my 2002 Mazda Protoge Sedan in April and it's been very dry here untill this week when I too noticed a wading pool on the front passenger floor. I decided to clean the windshield gutter as somewhere someone had suggested it may be clogged with pine needles etc. since I do live in a wooded area this was a good start. Sure enough it is quite full and I'm certain this was the problem. not sure if the water is not draining at all and flowing over the top or if this rotten mess (quite decayed) has sat so long previously that it has helped the rusting process. I did discover some rust on the floor so I know this didn't just start this year. So... this "gutter" is impossible to reach into as it curves along the wheel well. I tried to flood out the debris hoping to float it out without luck. Best I can tell the drain end of the gutter is just a long thin (verrry thin) slot not large enough to allow debris to escape. WHAT A BAD DESIGN. Does any body have an idea how to get the debris out short of turning the car upside down?

Last edited:
Poke it out with a straightened wire hanger through the windshield drain after removing the wipers and cowl grill thing.

Is it just me or is the drain opening realy that narrow? Seems like water from the hose when I flushed it was running out in several places in the wheel well.

noticed a while back that the water is back.
For my car it's not the drainage, those are properly clean and they drain fast.
Snow seems to have a large effect on the amount of water too, so it must be a place that allows 'slow' leaking.

cracked seam high corner foot well behind dash

Thats the case i've noticed on a couple of pro's/BJ's with this problem. But still, there must be a place where it is originating from
so we can think of a proper fix. Deviate the water somewhere else and fix the seal or something of that kind?

Anyone who has pics of a bare firewall near the passenger-side corner? or views of the specific high corner foot well from the outside? (freak)

Well I am going to get this keep this thread going by saying that My wife got a very wet foot from sitting in the car this morning and this was the first place my google search led me and it seems as though i have all the symptoms described, i do however have to remember to reverse everything because we drive on the other side of the road down here

Will let you know how i get on

Cheers

Still trying to find out where this water is coming from

I wonder if it has anything to do with the heater because it only happens when i have the heater on (i think) at 25c when it starts dripping forn onto the floor . the blower motor is wet underneath

going to remove the wheel and check behind the fender

Last edited:
sub, my car has been leaking for the last year when I got the engine rebuilt, and after it was hit in the right rear corner while on the trailer driving it down to get it built.. in NYC before the GW bridge...(hand), the van went over the trailer and hit the back light.. he was trying to make a gap that was only about 4' long.. wtf.. but anyways, mine has been leaking a lot since then in front right and rear pass side.. and my brothers has been leaking about the same in his msp for the last year or so.. has gotten worse lately.. so so happy I found this thread.. didn't wanna take the dash off at all, so going to see what I can get to soon, it's raining here tho for the next week right now..

hope all goes well

sub, my car has been leaking for the last year when I got the engine rebuilt, and after it was hit in the right rear corner while on the trailer driving it down to get it built.. in NYC before the GW bridge...(hand), the van went over the trailer and hit the back light.. he was trying to make a gap that was only about 4' long.. wtf.. but anyways, mine has been leaking a lot since then in front right and rear pass side.. and my brothers has been leaking about the same in his msp for the last year or so.. has gotten worse lately.. so so happy I found this thread.. didn't wanna take the dash off at all, so going to see what I can get to soon, it's raining here tho for the next week right now..

hope all goes well

Has your brothers car been in an 'accident' too or did it ever get hit anywhere?
Because my car was hit in the back (somebody behind me accelerating while I was still standing in front of the red! traffic light)
too. I'm wondering if this might affect the seams up front. Seems like a long shot but haven't found a reason besides damage or age which causes the leakage.

Still applying the 'towel-method' but my ECU coverplate is showing signs of rust :(

@TheKaptone:
From what I understand this happens on your passenger side, which would be our driver side (which is not leaking).
So its seems likely to me that the problem is related to parts that belong on the passenger side.
Any update from you by the way?

Anybody who has taken out their dash(or has their dash out at the moment) and used a hose yet?
Or dropped by the dealership to ask if they had any idea? Been to a couple but nobody has heard of it or don't know/don't remember
the problem on the BJ.

Check your body seams. After an accident, and over time, they tend to crack. I have the same problem and just picked up some 3M automotive general purpose sealant. I found the crack just above where your feet would rest on the passenger side (US, left hand drive). It is right as the body goes up towards the dash. Also, not sure if it's been covered, but check for any missing firewall gaskets. I had one missing, because the PO thought he needed two subwoofers in the back- both factory (MSP) and another. After the drainage channels below the windshield (on the outside) were clogged, it overflowed through the missing gasket.

Check your body seams. After an accident, and over time, they tend to crack. I have the same problem and just picked up some 3M automotive general purpose sealant. I found the crack just above where your feet would rest on the passenger side (US, left hand drive). It is right as the body goes up towards the dash. Also, not sure if it's been covered, but check for any missing firewall gaskets. I had one missing, because the PO thought he needed two subwoofers in the back- both factory (MSP) and another. After the drainage channels below the windshield (on the outside) were clogged, it overflowed through the missing gasket.

I have made some progress.

Is is defo dripping from the condenser/heat matrix box.

I have watched it drip from the join and from the screw.

I have purchased a USB probe camera and going via the sensor hole going to inspect if I can see what is blocking the drain.

I have tried using pressurize air, and connecting a hose pipe and flushing water up the drain pipe, (which then emptied very cleanly.

So i am a bit stumped as to what else could be blocking the drain, maybe something that floats and is just over the hole?

any easy links to how to pull the dash?? i didn't realize how extensive of an issue this is. id like to pull the dash asap before it gets much colder & get some fresh seam sealer in there. I've been battling a wet floor since i bought it. The AC isn't working and the inside of windows fog up really really bad.

Water sucks. I just bought a cherry 99 es and I just noticed water after a bad storm.....Not happy at all.

Back