Waste gate and BPV troubleshooting..

Suerto

:
2003 Mazda speed protege
Well, got my "free" 03 MSP (93k miles on car, so say only 30k on motor) finally running and am on my "shakedown" trip in it..
see my original thread here http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123851998-New-MSP-owner-here&highlight=

So here's what I have..
Prosport boost gauge shows 2psi of boost max, at idle steady at 21vac..
I have 2 questions/issues going on;

1) Stock BPV appears to be always "bypassing", as I have it venting to atmosphere, even at idle and when I blip it while under the hood it by-passes.. I disconnected the vac line from the intake manifold and it does not by-pass period, so am I correct to assume that it is functioning properly?
If its not functioning properly, recommendations on a replacement BPV would be appreciated..

2) After reading the threads it would appear that my WGA is not functioning properly.. Most boost I've seen is 1-2psi on the gauge, and I can hear the BPV blowing when shifting.. With car off, removed vac line from "T" on BPV line and blew into and sucked out of the WG valve easily (and it did not actuate the rod going into the turbo housing). So would it be safe for me to assume that the WGA is broken/needs to be replaced?
In assuming that the WGA is broken, I've already looked at getting the ATP WGA to replace it, but cannot find the correct one (8-9psi boost) if anyone would have a part number or reference for it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or if anyone has recommendations for a better quality one at a decent price.. These appear to be running in the $80 range or so..
--- Here's my other question, shouldn't I be just as easily able to move the rod on the backside going from the WGA to the turbo housing?
I attempted to actuate the rod (with the car off) by grabbing it with some pliers, could not get that thing to move, so am I correct to assume that the mechanical assembly inside the turbo is "locked up" or in a bind in some way or fashion? I read a thread on here where somebody had this issue and cracked open their turbo and found that is was the internal rotating valve assembly in the turbo housing that was stuck in a way..

Keep in mind the car has been sitting up for 4 or so years, without being road driven and such..

thanks again

Last edited:
If you blew into the vac line for the WGA and air passed through the diaphragm is broken and you need a new wastegate actuator.

yeah, gathered as much..
Just wanted confirmation really..
Already ordered the ATP WGA
;)

These turbo jap cars are fickle little creatures.. lol
I'm well versed in diesel truck turbo apps, pushing upwards of 50lbs of boost and haven't seen so many issues

Also reading up on the oil blowby issues on the turbo compressor side as I am seeing oil residue out of the BPV and such..
The turbo will just have to leak oil for now, hell, the car runs fine without the turbo as it is.. lol

Approaching the cost limit benefits line
lol
;)

Back