VTCS/VICS Delete and Intake Manifold Modification

There's no secret to doing it. Honestly, most people will cut too deep and punch a hole in the manifold so you will have to TIG weld it back shut if you cut through it.

FYI, You will spend a ton of money on buying grinding and cutting supplies if you do this yourself. You can also try using drill bits to start the process but you will break a few in the process and will need a lot of WD-40.

The cast aluminum will take you hours if not days to get it to the picture above,
That wasn't the final finished product either as it was smoothed and polished up even more by the owner.

I currently have the car that I did this manifold to and at 5 psi with just Injen CAI, 2.5 catless dp/stock catback/ hiboost fmic, and a base Unichip map, it pulls pretty damn smooth. Once I tune it later this week, we'll go dyno it and see what it puts down at that low of a boost.

Sub......

With this, you're not messing at all with the lower half the intake mani correct?

I've got a spare sitting on my floor i might do this to, whether i get the MSP or not

Bumping up.. after the 626 switch, if I'm still keeping my VTCS solenoids plugged in, do I still need to keep all the vacuum lines coming off of them? Running low on vacuum sources!

Thanks for the help. I know, I just didn't have the time to do it myself to the MSP IM.

Hey Sam, for the gasket in between the 2 halves, do you cut away the now unused part or is there a different gasket out there?

If anyone has the answer to this, I'd be interested to know also. I'm in the process of hacking up my mani right now, and I'm leaning toward just using permatex (or similar) gasket maker when I rejoin the mani unless someone has a better idea.

un used part? what unused part of the gasket?

edit: nvm
holy s***, just looked at the pictures, thats crazy

i may have two manifolds available that look like this in a few weeks, i have to make those two chambers one chamber, gives me something to do lol

i already deleted one set of flaps, the ones at the very end of the runners, and ported it out pretty big
but this is the first i have seen of making those two chambers into one

but i totally agree with JDMSam on the aluminum being hard as s*** to grind, took me like a week working on it in my spare time to port the end of the runners

ive seen this thread a couple of times, and im still confused.
OK, removing the VTCS is good. i get that much. do you remove the VICS flaps? and if so doesnt that kill your bottom end?

i havent done any work with the IM (or any IM for that matter) so bear with me if im making stupid mistakes. to make sure i have the order right before i ask anything else...
throttle body -> VICS -> second part of mani -> VTCS -> engine... right?

It's somewhat difficult to exactly explain how the manifold is designed unless you're familiar with them, or have already cracked one open. But here's a quick mspaint illustration of a cutaway of the manifold before and after the process.

It's my understanding that a lot of the benefit here comes from increasing the effective plenum volume and shortening the effective length of the runners, by hogging out the entire VICS area. (correct me if I'm off there)

Attachments

• VTCS-VICS.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 924
  • VTCS-VICS2.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 760
so when VICS is closed (below 5800?) theres just a big open void there? i guess at low RPM its vac and not boost, so makes some sense... but at boost im surprised it doesnt kick the flaps open.

why dont/cant you remove the part right at the throttle body? too much work?

Back