Volume Button issue

sxa

'23 CX-9 CE, '14 CX-5 Touring FWD, '16 CX-3 GT FWD
I've been a member here for awhile, but haven't really been active. I have a 2014 Mazda CX-5, it just passed 111,000 miles. I have had no major issues with it, though it is getting to the point where little things are going to start cropping up. The gear shifter lights have been out for awhile for example, I could probably replace those myself but not something that impacts my enjoyment of driving the vehicle so haven't bothered.

One issue that I noticed last night that is going to be annoying though is that the volume button the steering wheel is not properly functioning. In the down or up position the volume goes up.

My friend replaced his cruise control buttons on his old Mazda Truck so he could probably help me, but I know it is a real pain. I am just curious if anyone has seen this kind of issue and thoughts as to what might be causing it. I would imagine the dealer would charge and arm and a leg to fix it, and honestly the dealer here where I bought the vehicle I don't really feel like I have good relationship with, every time I take either of my Mazda's in for any service they just want to try sell me a new one.

Anyone experience this and have any thoughts?

I would try spraying some electrical contact cleaner in the volume buttons on the steering wheel.
Just try not to get it anywhere else but in the button itself. Let it sit for a minute then work the toggle like you're raising/lowering the volume. Sometimes the contacts get corroded/clogged with crap and electrical contacts get made where they shouldn't. I assume you can still adjust volume with the commander knob.

I would try spraying some electrical contact cleaner in the volume buttons on the steering wheel.
Just try not to get it anywhere else but in the button itself. Let it sit for a minute then work the toggle like you're raising/lowering the volume. Sometimes the contacts get corroded/clogged with crap and electrical contacts get made where they shouldn't. I assume you can still adjust volume with the commander knob.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a shot, I may actually have some contact cleaner around, it has been awhile since I have used any but I used to dabble with working on old stereo and shortwave gear (though I was never any good!).

Yes the regular knob still works. This is on a 2014 CX-5 so no Commander Knob, the knobs were still on the head unit back then. Which is kind of funny in the CX-3 I tend to use the commander knob while in the CX-5 I always use the steering wheel mounted controls.

Back