Very faint high pitched "mosquito" sound

Well my guess is you guys that are complaining are in super cold places...of so hopefully mileage breakin will quiet the pumps. Wouldn't these be the same as the CX-9?
Maybe there is a bad batch of pumps too.
Someone needs to part number cross check them for the cx-9...
I know that Corksport makes upgraded internals for the previous Mazdaspeed 3s as the HPFP were prone to failure and also the part besides the turbo that held back power mods.

I'm confused, you wanted a vehicle that had a HPFP and a turbo that spins as xxx,xxx rpms to be silent at speed?
Unless it goes through the normal level of music that I play or actually comes through the speakers (which some electrical noises are prone to do when bad)...
Or is this noise so loud that it literally shines through? Because even my friend's various Teslas are quiet but you can hear the electric motor whines if you try to listen for them...

We aren't talking about at speed. At speed is also when the sound comes on.

We are talking about when the car is at idle or in park.

I'm confused, you wanted a vehicle that had a HPFP and a turbo that spins as xxx,xxx rpms to be silent at speed?
Unless it goes through the normal level of music that I play or actually comes through the speakers (which some electrical noises are prone to do when bad)...
Or is this noise so loud that it literally shines through? Because even my friend's various Teslas are quiet but you can hear the electric motor whines if you try to listen for them...

Its an obnoxious buzzing sound that Im fairly certain is coming from inside the cabin. In some conditions its louder than the engine noise, which is extremely irritating. Sure I can turn up the music and drown it out for the most part. But I shouldnt have to do that with a brand new car that costs $35k.

Last edited:
It*s an obnoxious buzzing sound that I*m fairly certain is coming from inside the cabin. In some conditions it*s louder than the engine noise, which is extremely irritating. Sure I can turn up the music and drown it out for the most part. But I shouldn*t have to do that with a brand new car that costs $35k.

Disagree. It's being transmitted/resonating into the cabin but it's not being generated inside the cabin. At least on mine.

Fast forward to 9:20. Is this the sound? https://youtu.be/phXdhCo3MAY

All I heard was his turn signal. He said "idle and low RPM". Mine is noticable at 2000-2500 RPM, high load and cold. (very faint at idle and almost nothing between idle and 2000 RPM nor at no load)

I'm sticking with the Injector Pump theory because that's a noisy component and I'm pretty sure it's being transmitted/resonating into the cabin. If I were to pinpoint the location I'd say right in front of the tachometer and that's in line with the injector pump. The firewall can act like a loudspeaker.

Maybe we should schedule some dealer visits and see what Mazda says.

Last edited:
Could be the actual injectors too...as pressures go up in cars the sound goes higher which is harder to quiet down...

The noise on mine has almost completely gone away even when cold. (I'm at about 3000 miles right now). I'm concluding a major factor is normal engine break in. I think a CX-9 owner reported the same thing.

The noise on mine has almost completely gone away even when cold. (I'm at about 3000 miles right now). I'm concluding a major factor is normal engine break in. I think a CX-9 owner reported the same thing.

Interesting-Im at 2100.

Was it the same noise thats in that video? Its hard to hear but if youve heard it before you can notice it.

My 2019 GTR (only 160 miles) started producing a very faint high pitched sound today in the cabin.. It almost sounds like a mosquito.

I notice it when I press the accelerator and when the car is at a standstill. It increases when I press on the accelerator and dies down when I let go of the gas.

It's very faint but noticeable. Now that I hear it, it's really annoying and bothering me.

Anyone else experience the same problem or have any clues?

Have a feeling that when I take it to the dealer, the techs are gonna tell me they cant hear anything.

=(

I had this one time years ago in my Acura. Turned out to be coming from the cell phone charger I had plugged into the charging port. \_(ツ)_/

Make sure your license plates are securely screwed on and not buzzing. I took off the plastic advertising frames.

I think the problem is you guys' ears are too good.

SG said it himself in his video. With a quieter cabin, you hear the more discrete noises that would normally be drowned out by other cars with louder cabins. I thought I had a similar noise but I'm pretty sure mine has gone away (though to be fair, I don't have everything turned off and I'm not actively looking for the sound). I'm going to chalk this up as normal, you guys probably should too.

Anyone else have similar buzz noise issue? I just got my 2019 CX9 last week and immediately noise this noise on way back home.
this noise seems always here as long as power on, but very faint, hardly be noticed. Only at 50-60 mph, after press the accelerator, the noise got louder and it dies down when I let go of the gas.
the noise is pretty similar to the one TheTopher and savagegoose mentioned. But mine only show up at 50-60 mph and accelerating. low rpm is barely heard. (my wife cannot hear anything at standstill and low RPM, but I can hear very faint noise).
not sure if it's a problem or not.

Anyone else have similar buzz noise issue? I just got my 2019 CX9 last week and immediately noise this noise on way back home.
this noise seems always here as long as power on, but very faint, hardly be noticed. Only at 50-60 mph, after press the accelerator, the noise got louder and it dies down when I let go of the gas.
the noise is pretty similar to the one TheTopher and savagegoose mentioned. But mine only show up at 50-60 mph and accelerating. low rpm is barely heard. (my wife cannot hear anything at standstill and low RPM, but I can hear very faint noise).
not sure if it's a problem or not.

Yes, I do. I have a 2019 CX-5 Turbo and what I assume is a turbo whine also gets much louder in the 80-90 km/hr (50-60 mph) range only. Personaly find it quite annoying while driving on 80 km/hr city roads and highways. Basically have to drive under the speed limit or over (90+) to stop from hearing the whine. Brought the issue up at my first service and was told all CX-5 Turbo's do this without any explanation as to why the noise is so much louder only in that speed range. My second service is due and will bring up the issue again because it really does not seem normal to me.

I have a 2019 turbo and don't notice that noise, and my grocery store trips always take me 8 miles down a 55 MPH road with no traffic (meaning I'm always at the speed limit.)

If the dealer sticks to that story, ask him to get in a demo turbo and go down the road with you "for comparison."

Back