Vertical Adjust for headlights

dmk

:
2008 CX(
Please forgive me if this has already been posted-on my 2008 CX9, I have the vertical adjust via knob under the dash. I am noticing only the driver's side moves up or down, and the passenger headlight is stationary. Is this correct? Or is there something I need to adjust/replace? Thanks!

I believe both drivers and passenger lights move on our 2012 but haven't actually been in front of the car to observe.

I have a 2008 CX9 and the adjustment is to both headlight. I assume you have a motor not functioning. Not sure if this is a DIY project.

DMK - the quickest and easiest thing you can do first is make sure the headlamp motor adjuster is plugged in. It is toward the top of the lamp. Disconnect it, see if there is any crud in there (corrosion) and plug it back in. You can buy just the motor if it has gone out, pretty easy fix, and don't let a dealer tell you that you can't buy just the leveling motor because that is bravo sierra.

This is good info-Thank You helbigtw. I loathe taking anything to the dealer's service dept.-they were going to charge me $150.00 to replace two blower motor relays (fan would come on after shutting off the ignition)-looked up the TSB, spent perhaps $30.00 and five minutes to make the repair. Many thanks! Great forum!

I am having the same issue. I noticed it when my wife and I were picking up the car from the dealership after some service work. I was in front and noticed one headlight higher than the other. She adjusted the lights via the knob but one headlight did not move. I will check to see if the adjuster is plugged in and report back.

So I discovered my leveling is not working on either side.
Never had a problem before. I find it really hard to believe that both motors went out simultaneusly. Its got to be something else. I gotta try and peek behind the roller switch. Ridiculous. First broken part since new, 86k miles.

Update on mine. They are intermittent now, and when they do work, they sound terrible, pretty much sounds like the motors are spent, making shreaking noises. Either the motors making noise, or the rods that are spinning aren't oiled and and just squeaking. I will have to dig into it some more. My first reaction was the issue was before the lamps, maybe wiring or the switch, but now I'm convinced either the adjusting rods that spin around inside the headlamp are losing lubrication, or the motors are burning out.

Update on mine. They are intermittent now, and when they do work, they sound terrible, pretty much sounds like the motors are spent, making shreaking noises. Either the motors making noise, or the rods that are spinning aren't oiled and and just squeaking. I will have to dig into it some more. My first reaction was the issue was before the lamps, maybe wiring or the switch, but now I'm convinced either the adjusting rods that spin around inside the headlamp are losing lubrication, or the motors are burning out.

Bumping this older thread. Any closure to this issue for anyone? I have same problem on both my headlights. Leveling switch in the car does not move either headlight.

Last edited:
I have same problem with headlight noise. What is the resolution and how much did it cost to fix? The sound is horribly annoying.

What was the remedy and how much did it cost to fix?

No fix yet. I still have just one working on my 08. Not taken the time to thoroughly troubleshoot. Noisy is normal, ever since the car was new the leveling motors were loud. I still think it is probly just lubrication loss. Maybe will have some time soon to poke around. I keep holding out hope for a straight 6 CX-9, just no interest in a 4 cylinder at all, but not sure how much longer the old 2008 will remain completely reliable. Took her out for a spin the other day and must have made a dust cloud all the way down the street 😂 Ole' Faithful.

On my 07 CX-9 it was the white plastic clips inside the holes that the motors clip into that broke. ( worked till I hit a coyote/dog late one night. I'm sure the impact did them in) My motors are noisy but still working properly, but one side of the plastic clip inside is flopping around like a nine year olds front tooth. Since my xenon's are still goin strong I will live without adjustment until something more important breaks.

Back