Valve gasket scam

V
Mazda cx-5
I recently had my 2014 CX5 at the dealership for fresh trans fluid and an engine oil change (140,000 mi). The car was in the shop overnight and I had a loaner car. Coincidentally during this 2-day time period my cell phone crapped out and I bought a new one. When I turned it on, I noticed like 3 or 4 messages from the service manager trying to get a hold of me regarding my car. Turns out my car had a leaky valve gasket and he wanted to know if I wanted them to do the service while the car was in the shop. Initially I was concerned, but didn't recall smelling any burning oil coming off the exhaust manifold. I told him "no thanks" because I was on my way to pickup the car and secondly because he wanted over $200 to do it. After getting my car, I pulled the engine cover and ran my fingers along the backside of the valve gasket near the pcv where he indicated the leak was located. I FOUND NOTHING! There was no leak. SOB tried to scam me. I wonder how many valve gaskets get replaced when not needed? I bet various dealerships have tons of replacements, while others not so much. Just wanted to through that out there.

Avoidin Deer

Central Virginia
Contributor
V
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I'm ashamed I didn't say this before:

Go back and ask the guy to show you why he made that recommendation...not to get into his face, but to make sure there's not some misunderstanding or honest error.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
L
Canada
V
'18 CX-9 Signature
I'm ashamed I didn't say this before:

Go back and ask the guy to show you why he made that recommendation...not to get into his face, but to make sure there's not some misunderstanding or honest error.
I would do this as well. Maybe he just cleaned it off after you declined the work?

V
2018 CX-5 Sport
That is a pretty blatant cheat. An oil leak is visible so an owner can confirm it or not just by looking. I too would go back and ask them what they saw without being rude. I would do this:
"Hi, I was told that my valve cover gasket was leaking. I am not ready to have it changed yet, can the tech show me the leak and tell me if it is okay for me to continue driving my car for a little bit longer?"
The thing is, be prepared to have it changed. It might really be leaking enough to be a problem.

V
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
Was probably a long term slow evolving seep that he wiped off. Normal in many cars. Now if it was leaking..........

V
CX5 GT-R
That is a pretty blatant cheat. An oil leak is visible so an owner can confirm it or not just by looking. I too would go back and ask them what they saw without being rude. I would do this:
"Hi, I was told that my valve cover gasket was leaking. I am not ready to have it changed yet, can the tech show me the leak and tell me if it is okay for me to continue driving my car for a little bit longer?"
The thing is, be prepared to have it changed. It might really be leaking enough to be a problem.
I have always requested this, and my Mazda dealer has always shown me the various things. Never once did I disagree after seeing the evidence at hand.

Latest threads

Latest resources