Used CX-5 w/Navi - Can I Just Buy a New Card?

UPDATE:

Got the card, put it in, drove the requisite 63 miles and it paired up just fine...

That said, when I go to the Mazda Toolbox it says all my updates are expired. :cautious:

Moral of the story - after your 3 years are up, there are (apparently?) no shortcuts to getting updated maps. Be prepared to shell out $90 for a one-time update or even more for a new 3-year subscription.

Glad I hacked my head unit for Android Auto!

It is very surprising that the community of enthusiasts worldwide have not yet figured out the methodology to remove the lock on map updates after 3 years. It ~almost makes me miss the MINI Cooper.. ALMOST.

In speaking with Mazda support yesterday, they mentioned the new map software would be updated by the end of this month (September ). The last one was in January so I'd be surprised if a new one comes out in September and then another in January 2021...maybe!

UPDATE:

Got the card, put it in, drove the requisite 63 miles and it paired up just fine...

That said, when I go to the Mazda Toolbox it says all my updates are expired. :cautious:

You should try it by installing the Mazda Toolbox on another computer and creating a new account and seeing if it lets you upgrade that way. That way we could rule out the "expiration" being tied to either the installation or the user account.

It is very surprising that the community of enthusiasts worldwide have not yet figured out the methodology to remove the lock on map updates after 3 years. It ~almost makes me miss the MINI Cooper.. ALMOST.

Are you really that surprised? Have you seen some of the reactions by the 'morality police' on this, and other, forums when folks mention buying a 'non official' Nav card on Ebay or on Amazon?

Case in point. On the Miata forum one of the members started a thread about this very thing. He wanted to know if he could buy a cheep card from Ebay instead of paying the exorbitant price Mazda is asking. Several posts into the conversation I posted that I had purchased a Nav card from Amazon and it worked perfectly for me. This guy then went off on me about how immoral I was for doing such a thing. Um, hypocrite much? I pointed out the hypocrisy to him and what was his reply? Crickets...

YMMV

Any ideas if this trick works with CX5 2021 navigation?
It's been around in other models so it should be known

PS regarding morality - my CX5 '16 with navigation was $30K
Per mazdausa website the only CX5 '20 with navigation is Signature for $37K
Basically in four years the price of getting official navigation went up by $7K
It's their business and they are free to come up with pricing of any sorts, but it's just hard to expect loyalty back

Last edited:
PS regarding morality - my CX5 '16 with navigation was $30K
Per mazdausa website the only CX5 '20 with navigation is Signature for $37K
Basically in four years the price of getting official navigation went up by $7K
It's their business and they are free to come up with pricing of any sorts, but it's just hard to expect loyalty back
Bear in mind that with Apple Carplay/Android Auto included on all but the entry-level Sport for 2020 (and I think even it gets ACP/AA for 2021), most people have access to navigation apps on the infotainment display through their phones. IMO, the biggest advantage of the on-board Nav-card is providing speed limit and traffic sign info on the HUD (Signature, GTR, & GT with Preferred package).

Otherwise there's really no compelling need for it for most people these days. I mean, who buys a new $30K-ish CX-5 but doesn't own a smartphone (yes, I know they exist. but hey, nobody said they can't buy a nav-card if they want one).

There's also a world of difference in content between the 2020 Signature and any 2016 trim level. Let's see... 250 HP turbo, Napa leather, a boatload of safety & convenience tech, etc, etc, etc... I'd say that $7,000 difference represents one heckuva bargain!

Otherwise there's really no compelling need for it for most people these days. I mean, who buys a new $30K-ish CX-5 but doesn't own a smartphone (yes, I know they exist. but hey, nobody said they can't buy a nav-card if they want one).

I do like the fact that my 2019+Nav announces "speed camera ahead" even when I'm not using Nav. Of course the camera positions change, but even so, it has saved me a couple of times :)

Are you really that surprised? Have you seen some of the reactions by the 'morality police' on this, and other, forums when folks mention buying a 'non official' Nav card on Ebay or on Amazon?

Case in point. On the Miata forum one of the members started a thread about this very thing. He wanted to know if he could buy a cheep card from Ebay instead of paying the exorbitant price Mazda is asking. Several posts into the conversation I posted that I had purchased a Nav card from Amazon and it worked perfectly for me. This guy then went off on me about how immoral I was for doing such a thing. Um, hypocrite much? I pointed out the hypocrisy to him and what was his reply? Crickets...

YMMV

It’s not like they are hacked cards. Just legit, OEM expired (previous map version) dealer inventory.

Bear in mind that with Apple Carplay/Android Auto included on all but the entry-level Sport for 2020 (and I think even it gets ACP/AA for 2021), most people have access to navigation apps on the infotainment display through their phones. ).

Otherwise there's really no compelling need for it for most people these days. I mean, who buys a new $30K-ish CX-5 but doesn't own a smartphone
Using your phone as a GPS is all well and good when you are in your own cell network.
Not so good when you are roaming, especially if you're in another country, or if you have a limited data plan.
We used to travel a fair bit to the US (before Covid) and there's no way I'd use my phone for navigation on a long trip. My phone bill would be out of this world.
I'm actually quite happy with the Mazda navigation system. Works well for us.

Using your phone as a GPS is all well and good when you are in your own cell network.
Not so good when you are roaming, especially if you're in another country, or if you have a limited data plan.

for future reference everyone.. you can use GPS based apps without data on your phone.

plenty more resources when you use your favorite web search method for "use phone gps without data"

TLDR; offline maps are a thing and it just takes a small amount of planning BEFORE you leave to have them ready when mobile data is not available.

We used to travel a fair bit to the US (before C-19) and there's no way I'd use my phone for navigation on a long trip. My phone bill would be out of this world.

Although I usually use Waze, for road trips I’m prepared to use Google maps. I download all places we’ll be visiting or driving through to GM in advance. Works quite well. Rarely need to fire up Google maps. Perhaps Waze accesses the downloaded maps - they are owned by Google now.

Back