Used CX-5 w/Navi - Can I Just Buy a New Card?

First time poster and need some assistance...

Just bought a 2016 CX-5 GT w/navigation, and noticed on the 2-hr drive home that the maps are severely outdated (doesn't look like they were ever updated after intitial purchase in '16). I went to the Mazda Toolbox app and saw the pricing on an update and balked, thinking I might be able to do a DIY upgrade or find a cheaper source online...

Went to eBay, bought a 2020 updated SD card. Seller was kind enough to message me, saying he canceled my order because I already had an SD card and my free updates were expired, so a "new card will not work"...

Is this true??? Like, is my infotainment head now "locked" to the original SD card and I can ONLY use it (paying the premium Mazda price for a map update)??? :unsure:

Any work-arounds or other products that WILL solve this issue as simple as an SD card swap?

Many thanks, and glad to be a part of the CX-5 community! (y)

Here are my thoughts on the SD card:

1. Have you tried to update the SD card that's in the 2016 CX-5? If it won't update, what does the software say about it?

2. I have a 2020 GTR, which I understand will get the next 3 years of updates on this new SD Card, bought from Amazon. I believe updates come out twice a year from Mazda, which means I should get 6 updates over the 3 year period.

3. I read over the forum that the vehicle "locks" the SD card to that vehicle after 60 miles of driving. I'm not sure how this is done. Does the CX-5 then know which SD card is in which vehicle? I'm assuming the SD card in your '16 CX-5 could not be loaded in another CX-5. It doesn't make sense that a new SD card couldn't be loaded in your '16 CX-5 unless Mazda software will only allow 1 SD card to be used in only 1 vehicle for the life of that vehicle. Is that possible? I would think that would make people, like yourself, not very happy that they can't get updated SD Navigation cards...unless the Mazda dealers provide some sort of update or clear the " lock " aspect of the SD card slot. Not sure.

First time poster and need some assistance...

Just bought a 2016 CX-5 GT w/navigation, and noticed on the 2-hr drive home that the maps are severely outdated (doesn't look like they were ever updated after intitial purchase in '16). I went to the Mazda Toolbox app and saw the pricing on an update and balked, thinking I might be able to do a DIY upgrade or find a cheaper source online...

Went to eBay, bought a 2020 updated SD card. Seller was kind enough to message me, saying he canceled my order because I already had an SD card and my free updates were expired, so a "new card will not work"...

Is this true??? Like, is my infotainment head now "locked" to the original SD card and I can ONLY use it (paying the premium Mazda price for a map update)??? :unsure:

Any work-arounds or other products that WILL solve this issue as simple as an SD card swap?

Many thanks, and glad to be a part of the CX-5 community! (y)
A new card will always work, only the used card would be locked to the car, that's for sure.

Ok, so why is the EBay saying a new SD card won't work for your car? Anyway, order an SD card through Amazon, see if it works and see if you can get updates via Mazda software. If it doesn't work, return it back to Amazon... no harm, no foul!

Good advice. I ordered a new card and am told after 60ish miles it would work fine in my CX5, with 3 years of updates. Its worth it to me to take the gamble at $35.

Related, I updated my Infotainment to v55 and installed Android Auto on the head unit. I'll likely use that most of the time, but will rely on the Mazda Navigation on the off chance that I have poor service, dead battery, etc.

Appreciate the assist, gentlemen!

Here's my take. The new SD card will work.

I bought our new 2016.5 CX with nav, which included 3 updates over three years. That's 3 updates, not 6. Yes, in the past Mazda has come out with updates twice a year, you still only get 3 total. At least that's the way it worked for me.

Last year I purchased a used Miata. It has the exact same infotainment system (same firmware version as well) as the CX. The Miata did not come with a nav SD card. I purchased a nav card on Amazon. The first card I received did not work. I contacted the seller, he sent another, it worked perfectly.

After driving the required number of miles (63 miles) to mate the card to my MX I used the Mazda Toolbox to update the card. The update went as expected and once it was done it told me that I had two more updates available within the next three years.

After that I decided that I was going to update the card in my CX too (as I had one update remaining for the three year period and it was nearing the end of that period). I inserted it in my PC and ran the Toolbox. The program told me that I had one update remaining (as expected) but for some reason it would not update, no matter what I did. I contacted Mazda and they told me that I needed a new SD card. Fine, I made arrangements to pick one up at the closest Mazda dealer, no charge.

They took my old card and gave me a new one. Thinking to myself, I had hopes that since this was a new card that I would have three more updates available, logical, right? Wrong.

After driving at least 63 miles to mate the new card to my CX, I put it in my PC and ran the Toolbox. Some how, some way the program knew that I was only allotted one more update, and that's what it gave me. I updated that card with my third update and it's done with the included updates.

So, since that new card worked fine in the CX, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that yes, a new card will work in your system too.

YMMV

Probably the vin is sent over the internet with the very first update, apart from locking the sd
card to the vin. So a new card would work but if all the 3 years are over for the Vin it may not update, but it should work with the map version on the new card at least.

Yeah, it would be nice to have some updates and based on the old card, I'm not sure they used all of them up before 2019. Hoping the new card does the trick!

Probably the vin is sent over the internet with the very first update, apart from locking the sdcard to the vin.
so a new card would work but if all the 3 years are over for the Vin it may not update, but it should work with the map version on the new card at least.

It could just be in the local files for the Mazda Toolbox on your computer or tied to your mazda toolbox account. It'd be easy enough to test by reinstalling the software and/or creating a new account. Obviously keeping track of the VIN would be the smarter move for Mazda but I myself am a programmer and you'd be surprised how bad some of the code is that I've seen for large companies which you'd assume would have a higher standard of quality.

It seems strange that getting a new nav card after the three years wouldn't reset everything since they do let you pay to renew after the 3 years, correct? That makes it seem like they have to manually set something in your account to allow it but if that were the case why would the ebay cards work at all? Wouldn't they extend that to not enabling navigation at all unless the card was purchased from an authorized dealer? Are the ebay cards sold by dealers? I have a signature model that came with navigation so I didn't have to deal with this.

Also I'm reading this as I was actually updating my nav card and I kind of wish I'd waited for the mid 2020 update before doing it if it really is 3 total not unlimited updates in the 3 years.

most ebay cards I think are either good clones or leftovers. most likely the former.

free updates are for 3 years and not only 3 total.

most ebay cards I think are either good clones or leftovers. most likely the former.

free updates are for 3 years and not only 3 total.

Did you read what I posted?

Look man, I'm not a neophyte who doesn't know what's what. I'm a retired engineer who worked in the electronics/IT field for the last 30 years. If I tell you that the system would only give me three updates within three years then that's what it gave me.

The documentation says three updates ONLY within years. Mazda Toolbox showed the same thing. If others are getting more than three updates within the three year time frame then Mazda has changed that for other MY.

no idea why yours is different. may be different type generation, if I am not mistaken there was the tomtom and denso as well before the current ones.

gen6 navigation -
KEY FEATURES
  • 2D or 3D perspective for landmarks and city views
  • Traffic patterns based on historical data
  • On-screen speed limits
  • Advance notice of upcoming exits and appropriate driving lane
  • Guaranteed map updates for three years

no idea why yours is different. may be different type generation, if I am not mistaken there was the tomtom and denso as well before the current ones.

gen6 navigation -
KEY FEATURES
  • 2D or 3D perspective for landmarks and city views
  • Traffic patterns based on historical data
  • On-screen speed limits
  • Advance notice of upcoming exits and appropriate driving lane
  • Guaranteed map updates for three years

My infotainment has all of the features that you listed above. As you can see from my profile, I have a 2016.5 CX-5. If other model years get more updates then that's great. For my MY you get three in three years. The documentation agrees.

For what it's worth, I'm coming upon 3 years on my nav card in my 6, and in that time, I've updated it every six months, with no limit.
I've already done more than 3 updates with no problems.

So how much is the post-three year update for CX5? Don't want to install anything just to see the price

So how much is the post-three year update for CX5? Don't want to install anything just to see the price

I believe a one-time update was $55 or so? I could be wrong on that...I'd have to get my SD card back out and go through the Mazda Toolbox app to verify but it wasn't as "cheap" as purchasing a new card off eBay...

Speaking of map updates, I just started Year 2 of my free updates. I pulled my SD card from the car and fired up the Mazda Toolbox. My card has the Jan. 2020 (North America) map version and it said I was up to date. I am guessing COVID-19 has them running behind their every 6 month update cadence. I'd be willing to bet that the 3 yr update window will expire right on time.

Speaking of map updates,
I am guessing C-19-19 has them running behind their every 6 month update cadence.
I'd be willing to bet that the 3 yr update window will expire right on time.
Haha, I'm guessing you're right on that one.
Mine expires in November, and I was hoping to get one last update before then.
I'm thinking I'm not going to get it.

Installed, checked, it quoted $87 for a one-time update and $137 for another 3 years

(for reference $90 is what a new garmin device costs with lifetime updates lol)

Back