Used 2016 Mazda 6i GT: Any concerns?

I've got a 2016 GT. Basic maintenance since new except for I got the wheels replaced under warranty because the paint was flaking off them (dark grey wheels).

Be weary of the car battery on I-eloop equipped cars. They have been failing within 3-4 years and the replacement cost is around $ 500.

Its not a normal battery and last i checked only Mazda made them. I-eloop has since been dropped/discontinued which is also cause for concern (future parts availability, service costs)

Also something to consider is by 2018 Mazda 6 the "Touring" trim came standard with Mazda Radar Cruise Control which is my favorite feature of recent Mazdas. The 2018 Touring trim is what I would go for over any previous Mazda 6 GT's due to the updates and essentially same or cheaper price point on the used market.

I used to own a 2016 M6 GT with tech package and loved it, never gave me problems mechanically but I did have paint flaking off the dark rims.....it but again imo the newer years featuring solid options on a mid trim Touring models would steer me away from 2016/2017 GT's.

+1 ^
I have a '16 GT for 35k miles now.
The ieLoop battery will cost you upward of $500 including programming, etc.
Not worthy of the 1mpg it might have saved me... who knows if it is even 1mpg.
Transmission, not a problem as far as I can see.
Note that it is the same transmission used in all Mazdas.

All our three Mazdas have had no issues so far.
'14 Mazda5 sGT (2.5L), 32K
'16 Mazda6 GT, 33K
'17 Mazda CX5 GT, 14K

However, if you have doubt, trust your own instinct. :)

P.S. I got my dealer to replace my battery (ieLoop) for free.
This might not apply to every owner... I am a loyal customer. It pays.

Last edited:
I'm also considering a current-gen 6, with I-eLOOP. It has very high miles (140k-ish), but drives great.

What's the deal with the I-eloop system? The capacitor is internal to the 12V battery? I clearly don't understand how this works, or what the issue is. Help?

2015 Mazda 6 GS here in Toronto, Canada.
Owned the car for 42k KMs over 2 years now.
No real issues for me - regular maintenance so far.

My only "comfort" issues with the car (minor stuff I guess)
- cabin noise is pretty damn loud
- now you'll have the GT with the Bose audio, but a loud cabin combined with the bad stock speakers has been pretty annoying
- 90% of the time I am in my car alone, but personally I find that even with just 1 passenger in the car, the drive changes completely. It's so sensitive to any extra weight. Car is sluggish, holds on to gears a bit longer than it should, doesnt gear down as easily either. And that's just with 1 extra person (my GF who is pretty light)

I'm also considering a current-gen 6, with I-eLOOP. It has very high miles (140k-ish), but drives great.

What's the deal with the I-eloop system? The capacitor is internal to the 12V battery? I clearly don't understand how this works, or what the issue is. Help?

The supercap is fine. It is reliable.
However, the iEloop needs a deep cycle battery (Q85). You can't get it from Costco. The best price you can find online is about $200. Even with that, you might (some claimed success w/o going to dealers) still need programming from dealer, who will charge you a couple hundreds if they accept the battery you bring along. In most cases, they will refuse to. So, dealer is your best choice if you are not the DIY kind of guy.
Replacing the battery (12V) + programming will cost you $500 (average).
For a normal car, you are looking at $100 top. That is the problem.

Mazda NO LONGER puts iEloop in any new models any more. Smart move. Dumb when they did it.

Note: Only GT has the iEloop.

Soon after I-Eloop was dropped, I believe fuel mileage also dropped. My 3's battery replacement was about $550 but the battery lasted over 4 years. Try not to let your car sit for more than a couple of weeks, which can shorten the life of the battery unless you use a battery tender.

I believe the MPG dropped was mainly due to a revision of MPG calculation formula by EPA, which took place in 2017 (if my memory served me right).

Latest posts

Back