USB Specific Problems After Resume Fix (BT Module TSB Replacement)

jtcx5

:
2014 CX-5 GT + Tech
Don't want to be entirely negative - USB does resume after the BT module replacement, but there are still a number of problems noticed by myself and others in this forum. Some of these problems are always observable, others only with larger USB drives, more files or larger playlists:

Consistent Problems:
1)Head unit displays 1/1 after vehicle re-start until USB disk is re-read (slow) - not really a big problem
2)Shuffle state is forgotten after re-start (always OFF) - playback seems to be alphabetic based on song title after a re-start

Problems Related to Large # of Files:
3)Head unit sometimes switches to radio or CD after re-start while reading USB drive, even though USB was selected input
4)Not all files indicated (seems to cap out somewhere above 2000+ files)
5)Large playlists not viewable in USB menu - (in my case either all or no playlists will be observable)

UPDATE: Vehicle appears to be able to read an additional 2000 or so files upon every re-start. On my USB stick with 2500 files, after I insert it and it is initially read the above problems exist, however, after shutting the car off and re-starting, the head unit will read the additional 500 files and the problems above go away.

Non-USB Problem:
6)Pickup button on steering wheel no longer goes immediately to phone menu, must go through higher level menu using the voice command button and say "phone"

I am not really interested in iPod/iPhone USB problems because (i) can use bluetooth to stream and (ii) why bother when you can use an inexpensive USB stick.
I am using M3UEXT type playlists which always work - except for issues indicated above

I wanted to know:
A)if anyone has observed any other issues (please add)
B)if there is some work around for a large # of files/or large playlists - or - what the limits are on # of files/playlist size

Last edited:
With regards to your problems -

1) This is normal, the new unit engages where you left off whilst continuing to read the remaining tracks in the background. On my 8GB stick with circa 800 tracks, the track read completes about 30 secs after the original song resumes playing. I can live with this.
2) Shuffle state is forgotten after re-start. Again, I can live with this since it isn't specific to Mazda. I had this same behaviour on my previous Hyundai iX35 (Tucson) and VW Golf.
3), 4) and 5) I think will be related to USB drive size, not # of files, but it could be that their maximum expected number of 128kbps (minimum reasonable quality MP3) files on an 8GB thumb drive is probably around 2000.
6) Same problem here, irritating, but then again I don't think much of their voice recognition system either so now I use the controller dial and buttons between the front seats.

Multiple re-starts required to see all files after BT fix

Further testing has indicated that the updated unit can handle large USB drives and a large # of files, BUT, there is a major issue with it.

I put 4515 tracks on a 64G USB drive and inserted it into the car. Initially, only about 1800 tracks were detected. (After the usual delay it would indicate track # X/1800 was playing). After each subsequent re-start, the total # of songs indicated would increase. Sometimes it would increase by about 800 or so, other times less. After the 6th or 7th time re-starting the car, it finally got to 4515. It has remained there ever since for several more re-starts.

The total available track count only increments if you re-start the car and run it long enough (probably > 5 minutes) for the stereo to re-initialize. Also, the playlists will not be available until the actual # of songs is reached.

So, frequently updating a large music library on a single USB drive is not really an option in the current state. It is easier to work with smaller USB drives and < 1800 songs per drive. Otherwise, you are looking at multiple re-starts before your playlists (and all tracks) are available. Not exactly ready for prime time.

I agree that the system can 'see' bigger USB drives, and ultimately read larger numbers of tracks, but irrespective of the multiple re-starts it's not reliable in doing so and in my experience over the long term causes the module to corrupt and fail.

I think this is why Mazda have stated the 8GB drive limit, though I'm still awaiting their comments on their track limit.

Basically with an average of 3 mins per track, using an encoded MP3/AAC bit rate of 320kbps per track will yield around 800 tracks on an 8GB stick, whilst 128kbps will give you around 2000. If you want to drop that quality further, then you can get even more, but I don't doubt there must be a finite 'reliable' limit in there somewhere.

Well, as a further update, it turns out that Mazda Europe either can't, or won't, define a # of files/track limit. I would guess, based on the issues we've had with these modules and what can only be deduced as a distinct lack of proper testing in the first place, that it's probably the former.

Oh well, at least for the moment I have a functional system, though in the last couple of days I've noticed what appear to be some new glitches in the software. Hopefully that's all they are.

I've had the updated bluetooth module for a few months now and I just noticed something regarding one of my issues - it appears that if you are shuffling a playlist on a USB stick and then you shut off the car, upon resuming, the playlist is still actually shuffled and the shuffled play order continues, although the shuffle icon is off - in other words, it is actually working. Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
Non-USB Problem:
6)Pickup button on steering wheel no longer goes immediately to phone menu, must go through higher level menu using the voice command button and say "phone"

VERY annoying !!

I've had the updated bluetooth module for a few months now and I just noticed something regarding one of my issues - it appears that if you are shuffling a playlist on a USB stick and then you shut off the car, upon resuming, the playlist is still actually shuffled and the shuffled play order continues, although the shuffle icon is off - in other words, it is actually working. Has anyone else noticed this?
I checked this today, and for me shuffle is definitely off when I start my car again after a while.

I also find the new system a bit buggy, even if it is much better than before. Some things I have noticed:

1) When I select a new album or playlist by voice command, it sometimes starts stuck on pause. No amount of selecting play will work. The only solution I've found is to shut the module off and back on. The album/playlist then starts immediately.

2) On a few occasions a song just refuses to end! The actual audio ends, but the song time keeps going up indefinitely in silence. I've seen a 5 minute song go to 15 minutes before I got tired of waiting and advanced the song manually. I've listened to the same song before and since with no problem...

My playlists are out of order (alphabetically) after the upgrade. Not a huge deal, I can still see all them as I scroll through them.

Bon

Back