Urgent header problem

toucci

:
'03.5 Proteg 5
Urgent header problem (solved)

I've nearly completed my OBX header install. one problem: my EGR tubing and fitting are about an inch off. It doesn't bend enough to fit. Can I drive the car with this open tomorrow? Also, how the heck am I going to get this thing to fit? I was thinking of heating it up and bending it, but I don't have access to a blowtorch right now. Please help, the sun's setting rapidly

:(

edit: I managed to use mp3moose's method and then used high temp gasket sealant + aluminum foil to seal it up entirely

Last edited:
I had that same problem...what I did was connect the egr pipping first...but just slightly tightened..just enough and then the maniflod went on afterwards....

Jeremy

the EGR tube is too close to the engine block (too far back). was yours too far forward? I can't see how I'd be able to attach it with the header unbolted, since it'd probably be further away

here's a pic:
egr.jpg

Mine matched up without a problem. Hmm....possible they put the EGR bung is the wrong place? Or possible you bent the EGR pipe on the removal?

well I'm trying like hell to bend it back, I can't imagine having bent it on the removal, lol

I tried firing it up but was immediately greeted by noxious fumes. I don't think it's very safe to drive like this

Do not drive like that!
idk what could have happened mine was fine with my OBX install.

what about disconnecting your header from the manifold and connecting the EGR First then bolting the header to the exhaust manifold.

i know it's more work but you will get more leverage.

well, I'm going at it with a crow bar right now. it's not bending enough. I was thinking I'd go at it with a blow torch and then try to bend it some more but I can't find the damn thing

I drove for two weeks with the egr disconnected. I loosed mine a little on the side then put a wrench inbetween it and the block and pulled it into place easily. Took 10 mins.

I finally got it. Wow, talk about a pain in the ass though! Thanks for the help mp3moose and all others. I just had to pry like crazy with a big ass bar with the header angled to get it to bend enough.

there's a nut on the side of the block that hold a clasp that keeps the EGR tube in place...

I screwed mine up pretty bad. I had to get a new nut on the end, which means that sometime down the road I should get a new EGR pipe. Dealer quoted me at $50.

That pipe is hard as hell to bend.

Anyone know a good fix for the leak? JB weld dries out, as does the high-temp exhaust gasket maker. I can't weld it because I have to take it out for yearly inspections.

Anyone know a good fix for the leak? JB weld dries out, as does the high-temp exhaust gasket maker. I can't weld it because I have to take it out for yearly inspections.

I'd like to know as well, as the high temp exhaust gasket maker dries out for me as well.

I have the leak too, because the egr pipe isn't facing the fitting straight, and doesn't create a proper seal (the front of it is leaking)

I will try to bend the tubing now by heating it with a blowtorch but I did get some high temp sealant for a temp. fix. sadly, the location there was reading around 500 F after a normal drive home so it will surely eclipse the rated 700 F on hard drives.

wow..i can't believe all of us are having this problem. i thought about gettin exhaust wrap and just wrapping the whole header. but according to my buddy at car x it won't work w/ the exhaust leak. but i'm going up today to get the exhaust leak fixed where the downpipe and catback connects. we gotta figure something out for the egr valve w/ out having to buy a new one. cause i mean if your going to by the header, it should be a perfect fit without having to buy a new egr valve.

you guys are NUTS....did you not see Rogue's post....this was one of the things I was showing him when I installed his header... on the side of the block above the coolant tem sensor is a single 10mm bolt that holds the egr tub to the block. Remove this bolt, anti-seize the threads on the header, wiggle and slide the egr nut onto the bung...tighten it down, THEN snug up the manifold....no bending of that egr tube needed.

Back