Urgent car seat question! Can you fit two car seats in the 2020 CX-5?

Looking to pull the trigger on a new CX-5. Car seats are in my spouse's car. Spouse, car, and babies are out of state and I'll be driving over to them in a few months once my work contract expires.

We've got two Graco extend-2-fit carseats. Pretty standard. Anyone with these seats (or something similar) can fit two carseats in the back? They're delivering the vehicle to me and I don't want to buy another car seat just to test.appvalley tutuapp tweakbox

Spouse and I are regular sized people and don't need too much space in the front seats. Would appreciate any input!

Last edited:
Why the duplicate post?

This same exact question was posted in the General section a week ago, to which you received a bunch of replies.

Why the duplicate post?

This same exact question was posted in the General section a week ago, to which you received a bunch of replies.
I bet this is a weird forum glitch. The above is a copy/paste of that post from a different member.

This user joined yesterday and posted that he just purchased a 2018 CX-5 GT. This one hit 3 minutes after that post.

Honestly, if you are going to be using two car seats in the car frequently, I would still recommend getting a Honda CR-V. The rear has much more space than the CX-5. It might not look that way on paper but honestly, when you are in it, it just feels so much larger.

I love my CX-5 and we currently have three Mazda's - so I am not anti-mazda in any way.

Yes, two car seats will absolutely fit. I don't think you'll find a 5-passenger vehicle that won't. Years ago we had two baby seats in my wife's '08 Yaris. And don't listen to the guy recommending the CR-V; I drive them all the time at work and they're boring to drive, ugly, underpowered, and the CVT sucks. IMO, of course.

The back end of newer CR Vs looks wider. I wonder if you can fit a sheet of plywood back there? That might be an advantage for some.

I really like my Skyactive 6MT, but if I had to buy an auto I would prefer a 6sp over a CVT.

There isn't enough room in the back of the cx5 for the back seats to slide but I bet your car seats will fit ok.

I have had two car seats in my 16 CX5 - a rear facing fit2 from Chicco and a booster with the back intact for my 5 year old - its graco or a generic brand. I ferry both my kids one rear facing and one in the booster to school, I once sat between the two car seats while waiting on my wife - my rear seat kiddo was too small to leave unattended. I am 5'10 and 204 lbs (194 right now). I was able to get in and out. Your car seats will fit easily width wise, the leg room for front passengers might be tight. If you are 5'10 - that should be bearable for a year or two. Anyone 6ft wont be able to sit in front on rear facing car seat in a CX5. It will be tough. Remember its not only front passenger comfort - the tighter you are in front the worse your position is in case of an accident. So in that respect my Camry >>>>> CX5. Try the CX5 for length.

I have had two car seats in my 16 CX5 - a rear facing fit2 from Chicco and a booster with the back intact for my 5 year old - its graco or a generic brand. I ferry both my kids one rear facing and one in the booster to school, I once sat between the two car seats while waiting on my wife - my rear seat kiddo was too small to leave unattended. I am 5'10 and 204 lbs (194 right now). I was able to get in and out. Your car seats will fit easily width wise, the leg room for front passengers might be tight. If you are 5'10 - that should be bearable for a year or two. Anyone 6ft wont be able to sit in front on rear facing car seat in a CX5. It will be tough. Remember its not only front passenger comfort - the tighter you are in front the worse your position is in case of an accident. So in that respect my Camry >>>>> CX5. Try the CX5 for length.

As a short guy I was surprised how little the car seat had as extra space when I tried in CX5. With some ppl's experience here, I appear to be wrong in thinking even a 5 ft 10 person would be ramming the seat back against a regular sized rear facing baby seat, but with a larger sized baby seat I still have doubts. But some seem to make it work. But if your 6 ft or over, I recommend a good long test with the seat in and fully installed. They can wait (or they will when we are out of COVID land)

And the Camry comment...it is always funny to go from these compacts to an accord or camry. You realize how the CX5, CRV are versatile but in some ways are small. I'd need to check the numbers, but the interior of my camry felt larger in width and leg room than my CRV. And the trunk was big. Can't hold a dresser obviously but you could even get two or three roughneck bins in there with room to spare. And it swallowed duffle bags.

And don't listen to the guy recommending the CR-V; I drive them all the time at work and they're boring to drive, ugly, underpowered, and the CVT sucks.

I agree cvt isn't ideal. It's why I steer clear of subaru. If one isn't into the performance like many mazda folks are, CRV still a great pick.

I didn't notice the CVT when it was paired with 4 cyl Camry. Now it's paired with a CX9, and yes it is suddenly more annoying.

If you're a driver, give it a drive with radio off before buying. Really give it a listen and hit gas hard.

If you're about convenience, ride, comfort, etc, CVT not deal breaker.

Back