Unlocking Car While Engine Running

Couldn't find this issue anywhere already, if it is covered my apologies.

I find it annoying that if I am trying to pick someone up and pull over but leave the engine running they cannot enter unless I lean over to their door to open it from the inside. Most cars I've owned have had an internal lock/unlock button but my CX9 Touring (2019) doesn't have this. Is there a way I haven't found yet to do this more easily?

Wait, not to ask a stupid question, but there's no lock unlock on the armrest of the driver's door?

Following up on what GTA-CX9 said, do you not see an un/lock button above the power window controls on the driver's side door?

CX9 Lock Button.jpg

Oh man...the brackets say some models.

Did they really cut back $ there??? Really?

Oh man...the brackets say some models.

Did they really cut back $ there??? Really?
I hope not. At least based on this YouTube video (starts at 1:01 mark) of an '18 CX-9 Sport FWD (which I imagine should have the least bells and whistles of any trim), there is an un/lock button.

@samcrewe What is your location/market? I wonder if the panel is located in a different spot (or doesn't exist) depending on the market.

Or, as @tex2670 suggested, you can configure the door locks to automatically unlock when the car is put in Park, and automatically lock when the car is taken out of Park. This setting can be found in the Infotainment menu.

I am in Australia. I bought a 2019 model CX9 Touring. There is no lock/unlock switch that you are showing in the above. At the moment, I can change the settings in my infotainment panel so that if I put the car in Park it will unlock the doors. It is annoying though when picking people up.

I am in Australia. I bought a 2019 model CX9 Touring. There is no lock/unlock switch that you are showing in the above. At the moment, I can change the settings in my infotainment panel so that if I put the car in Park it will unlock the doors. It is annoying though when picking people up.
You don't have a lock/unlock button? How is that possible, unless you don't have power locks?

I could not find an online copy of the Australian owner's manual. At this point, I would give the dealer a call or pay them a visit. They should be able to assist.

they gave me some BS about it being done this way to avoid running over people (WTF?)
It is definitely not there, I have a window locking button but no door locks one. I do have power locks, my car automatically locks when I walk out of range with the keys and I have the touch button unlock on the outside door handle. I wondered whether just unlocking the driver's side door lock switch would unlock all the others and that doesn't work either.

I noticed that some market are missing door locking options that we take for granted in North America (Like saudi arabia which can’t change the door locking options through the infotainment system). I am assuming this is due to local regulations. For this problem the owner manual would likely were the answer is, but i also tried getting an australian manuals and the only way seems to be to register through the mazda owners section, which you can’t really do without owning an australian mazda.

if there are no lock-unlock button, the only solution i would see would be to change the behaviour of the auto lock when driving function, based on the options it could be to make it unlock automatically when moving the shifter to the park position ( thats how mine is set-up), or not locking at all, etc.

In all cases the available options would be mentionned in the owners manual.

I agree reaching to the passenger door is terrible, that door handle is pretty far.

Last edited:
yeah, that's what I've done for now, but still a pain to have to put it in park to open the door
I have the Aus manual for it and there is no mention of a lock/unlock switch, which is odd as it has been in every other Australian vehicle I have owned in the last 15 years, so I doubt it is down to geographic regulations.

I hear you, i had the same issue when i got my first car with auto-lock (even though i had a four door unlock button). At that time i ended up turning the autolock feature off. But now I finally got used to putting the car in park when i am picking someone up and it is second nature now. When you think about it putting the car in park isn’t more steps and is actually a bit easier than finding and pressing that lock-unlock button, it just needs a little bit if time to develop the reflex of doing it for the purpose of unlocking the doors.

But it is weird that the lock button isn’t there in Australian versions.

Back