Ugh. Sudden issues with almost new 2019 CX-5

I cancelled the appointment. Car is working perfectly fine and the OBD code has gone away. I know if I did take it in there would be a "no problem found". But I did email the list of issues to my Service guy and he promised to add it to my record in case it comes up again.

What kind of led bulbs were they? Are they 7443A? Maybe the bulbs cause power quality issues and as a result the modules stopped working.

They are Sylvania 7443R (red) LED bulbs - image below.

This might be due to your freezing rain. Those warnings happen when the camera is obscured by fog/ice/condensation inside/etc.

Yeah, well duh :). But the freezing rain was only on Sat. The weather was clear for the two days before, when these symptoms started occurring. And anyway, I immediately checked the both radome and the windshield when the warning messages came up - both were clear and clean.

I'm really thinking it was the Elec Parking Brake in a confused state at this point. Time will tell.

71bzzfifciL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is my first vehicle with auto 'rain sensing' wipers... they suck. I'm going to wear out the stalk on this thing. Give me the 3/4 fixed delay manual setting or manual variable setpoint adjustment any day.

As for the bulbs, it doesn't seem like this would cause the issue. As a point of reference, I swapped out my rear turn signal bulbs to LED almost immediately after getting the car. No issues what so ever.

Agree 100%...and found instrux in the manual for switching over to standard intermittent function...will be re-setting tonight.

As for the bulbs, it doesn't seem like this would cause the issue. As a point of reference, I swapped out my rear turn signal bulbs to LED almost immediately after getting the car. No issues what so ever.

Yeah, agreed. I don't think it's related to these either. I've had them in for a couple of months before this too.

This is my first vehicle with auto 'rain sensing' wipers... they suck. I'm going to wear out the stalk on this thing. Give me the 3/4 fixed delay manual setting or manual variable setpoint adjustment any day.
I turned off the variable wipers after the first few months. I like more wiping than it provides.

Just turned my rain sensing off, easy enough. Now they're just variable which is fine with me.

I've been searching around in the past months since decided to go with CX-5 but still haven't decided yet. I'm afraid to get into trouble like you with a pretty expensive car for my wallet. I usually check vin decoder for the history of the car and there is a lot of trash on the market I have to say.

Last edited:
Well your recent replies just reminded me about this situation. I guess you can tell that the issues went away and have never returned (I'm touching wood as I type :) ). All has been good with the car since.

Thanks all, for the responses and suggestions.

As some of you know, we just got a second new (2019) CX-5 back in early November. Well a whole series of very weird things have started to go wrong in the past couple of days. All seem to be electronic in nature - I'm guessing one of the major control modules by the random nature of the issues. This is the list of what's happening:
  • Warning messages (and beeps) appear sometimes, may go away after restart and come back after another restart. Include the following (though not all of them all of the time):
    • Front Camera Sensor System Malfunction
    • Smart Brake System Malfunction
    • Forward Smart City Brake Support Malfunction
    • Brake Override System Malfunction
  • The Cruise Control is no longer operational (even when above messages are not showing)
  • Brake Warning Light (idiot light) lit sometimes, not always
  • Check Engine Light lit sometimes (I read the code at one point and it was P0504 -Brake switch A/B correlation)
  • Rear brake Lights flash constantly, about once per second, when parking lights are on - this happens all the time while driving.
  • Occasionally the Automatic transmission does not shift gears properly, sticking in low gear (engine revving) when accelerating, or high gear when slowing. Moving shift lever to manual and back to auto sometimes fixes it for a while.
You can see the weirdness here. It's going into the dealer on Monday. We'll see what they say, but pretty severe infant mortality for a car with ~1000 miles on it. :(
HA this is my same issue! Replace the brake switch sensor, apparently it's a common problem.

As some of you know, we just got a second new (2019) CX-5 back in early November. Well a whole series of very weird things have started to go wrong in the past couple of days. All seem to be electronic in nature - I'm guessing one of the major control modules by the random nature of the issues. This is the list of what's happening:
  • Warning messages (and beeps) appear sometimes, may go away after restart and come back after another restart. Include the following (though not all of them all of the time):
  • The Cruise Control is no longer operational (even when above messages are not showing)
  • Check Engine Light lit sometimes (I read the code at one point and it was P0504 -Brake switch A/B correlation)
  • Rear brake Lights flash constantly, about once per second, when parking lights are on - this happens all the time while driving.
  • Occasionally the Automatic transmission does not shift gears properly, sticking in low gear (engine revving) when accelerating, or high gear when slowing. Moving shift lever to manual and back to auto sometimes fixes it for a while.
You can see the weirdness here. It's going into the dealer on Monday. We'll see what they say, but pretty severe infant mortality for a car with ~1000 miles on it. :(
Hi, I have exactly same issue with my leased CX5 signature line 2019, what was the end of your trouble?

Stuff like this could easily be eliminated by locking anything old and inactive to anyone who has not already posted on the thread. And in the (truly) rare case of someone wanting to post useful information on a dead thread, a PM to a mod/admin could allow an override to the lock. Dream on I guess.

OK, well these recent posts remind me that an update may be due on this...

Some time after my last post, I put the LED bulbs back in. No issues and I promptly forgot all about it. A couple of months or so ago I started having the dreaded "Smart braking" errors again and I took it into the dealership for them to have a look. They could find nothing wrong except some errors logged in the system (I don't know what). The problem got worse (more frequent) so I took it back. The tech did note that I had LED bulbs in and he said that might be "confusing the computer". So I took them out again - all filament bulbs now at the rear - and no more issues since!

I cannot understand how LED bulbs (with load resistors) confuse the smart braking computer, but it does seem to be so!

No more LED bulbs for me :(

OK, well these recent posts remind me that an update may be due on this...

Some time after my last post, I put the LED bulbs back in. No issues and I promptly forgot all about it. A couple of months or so ago I started having the dreaded "Smart braking" errors again and I took it into the dealership for them to have a look. They could find nothing wrong except some errors logged in the system (I don't know what). The problem got worse (more frequent) so I took it back. The tech did note that I had LED bulbs in and he said that might be "confusing the computer". So I took them out again - all filament bulbs now at the rear - and no more issues since!

I cannot understand how LED bulbs (with load resistors) confuse the smart braking computer, but it does seem to be so!

No more LED bulbs for me :(

You could try one with built in resistors. I've ran LED replacement bulbs for 2 years with no issues, before replacing the taillights with the LED Grand Touring/GTR/Signature light assemblies. The brand I used is no longer available on Amazon, but here's another example.

I use turn signal bulbs with built in load resistors in the back of my GTR and bulbs with external load resistors in the front turn signals. As of yet no issues in 5k miles. I had the same bulbs in the rear turn signals of my '19 GT for 20k miles with no issues. Also have all the interior bulbs replaced with LEDs (both cars had the same bulbs) with no issues.

I had a similar issue with my 2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5L mine was out of warranty so I had to diagnose it myself. Turned out to be the brake switch which is the input to just about everything. Also had an intermittent no start because the start button uses the brake switch as an input. Took about 5 minutes too put in and the hardest part is wriggling under the dash. Link to part below.

Back