Turn Signals on 2017

Pipemajor

Hoot Mon!
:
Minnesota
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
I order my 2017 GT tomorrow night. Question on the front turn signals. It appears the turn signal is inboard of the LED headlight. My son had a 2000 Ford Crown Vic which had turn signals inboard of the headlight. He said people tended to turn in front of him because (he thought) they didn't see the turn signal on.

Many higher end cars with LED headlights and DRLs will turn the headlight or DRL off to give you a distinct amber flash. How does this work on the '17s?

My 2015 they are outboard, combined with the amber front side marker light. I replaced all the incandescent turn signals and tail/stop light with VLEDS Triton LEDs and they made a significant difference! Yes I know there are turn indicators on the side mirrors but they aren't all that noticeable.

I order my 2017 GT tomorrow night. Question on the front turn signals. It appears the turn signal is inboard of the LED headlight. My son had a 2000 Ford Crown Vic which had turn signals inboard of the headlight. He said people tended to turn in front of him because (he thought) they didn't see the turn signal on.

Many higher end cars with LED headlights and DRLs will turn the headlight or DRL off to give you a distinct amber flash. How does this work on the '17s?

My 2015 they are outboard, combined with the amber front side marker light. I replaced all the incandescent turn signals and tail/stop light with VLEDS Triton LEDs and they made a significant difference! Yes I know there are turn indicators on the side mirrors but they aren't all that noticeable.

Looking at the clips out there, when the you turn on the signal, the DRL does not change as the turn signal is a separate normal bulb. The DRL is not a dual flashing/functional (colour changing) led.

Looking at the clips out there, when the you turn on the signal, the DRL does not change as the turn signal is a separate normal bulb. The DRL is not a dual flashing/functional (colour changing) led.

I was pretty sure the stock LED DRLs weren't switchbacks. Am a bit concerned about the visibility of the turn signals - especially with high intensity LED headlights on.

Looks like I'll be pulling the Tritons out of my '15 to go in the turn signals of the '17. Tritons are awesome flashers.

Is this just plug and play, and also what is the difference in the amber vs the amber/amber vs the switchback? Thanks for your help.

The Triton system is the bulb/housing, controller and base adapter. They've upgraded to Version 3 of the Tritons since I bought mine summer of 2015. Remember, my front amber sidemarker/turn signal bulb is a dual filament with the side marker on with the parking and headlights while the 2nd filament is the brighter turn signal. The amber Tritons I have are amber dim (although brighter than a stock amber incandescent) with a full amber intensity flasher. The rear amber flashers are only on when flashing.

The stock connectors for both are different. To explain the difference between amber/amber and amber, you'd have to call them. Their service is superb. Price is high but so is the quality. I'm very reluctant to return my 2015 CX-5 with the VLEDs installed. I saved the original incandescents. They are still nearly new.

Yeah, they are plug 'n play.

The turn light is plenty bright. The LED in the thing is bright as heck.

PS. I absolutely love the design.

20170417_220659.jpg

With turn signal lights on the side view mirrors as well, being seen shouldn't be a problem.

The turn light is plenty bright. The LED in the thing is bright as heck.

PS. I absolutely love the design.

20170417_220659.jpg

At night time yes, daytime not as much but still good

With turn signal lights on the side view mirrors as well, being seen shouldn't be a problem.

Agreed. Side mirror turn signals should also be visible to most other drivers along with front turn signals

I also prefer front turn signals are outboard with distinct amber flash as on-off-on-off pattern during the night. That's why I did a simple mod and disabled the one filament of the 7444NA bulb used for front amber parking lights/side markers on my 2016 CX-5 GT and use the existing white LED DRLs to serve the purpose.

Simplest Mod for Your 2016 CX-5 Front Turn Signals with LED Lightings

I have similar concern with the inboard front turn signal design which is so close to the headlight, and easily gets buried in the strong LED headlight in the dark. If I were you I definitely would remove VLEDS Triton LEDs and installed in your new 2017 CX-5, provided you still have bulb adapters saved and you have switchback LED for distinctive amber flash. 2015 CX-5's use 1157NA incandescent bulb for front turn signals but 2016 GT with Tech and all 2017's use 7444NA which has different base. I'd definitely want switchback LED and looks like the resistors preventing hyper-flash are included in the Triton kit.

BTW, the reason many vehicles turn the DRL off while the turn signal is on is because many countries have regulations that you can't mix the function of each light and you can't get too close on certain light function together. Front amber parking lights and turn signals can be on together on the same bulb in the night like in the US is a no-no in other regions. The same DRLs and turn signals can't be on together as some vehicles use both at the same location.

I think it looks goofy when I see one of the DRLs turn off when the turn signal is activated. (Shrug)

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I order my 2017 GT tomorrow night. Question on the front turn signals. It appears the turn signal is inboard of the LED headlight.

Good catch! It's a valid concern and even for those who've already decided to get at 2017 model anyway, it doesn't hurt to be aware of it and its potential downside.

Thanks yrwei52 for re-posting your other Mod thread. Didn't fully understand it before but after reading it again more carefully I've just learned so much from it.

I think it looks goofy when I see one of the DRLs turn off when the turn signal is activated. (Shrug)

I agree audi and I think Range Rover does this. Just awkward looking. Maybe the data show it makes for better visibility?

Or the DRL fades to allow more visibility for the turn signal

Last edited:
At any rate, I did put a deposit on a '17 GT AWD w/Premium Pkg External Blue tonight. It will be sourced out of Iowa - about 6 hours away and they hope to get it in 3-4 days.

Definitely will pull out the Triton LEDs and the other VLEDs to swap the factory incandescents back in.

At any rate, I did put a deposit on a '17 GT AWD w/Premium Pkg External Blue tonight. It will be sourced out of Iowa - about 6 hours away and they hope to get it in 3-4 days.

Definitely will pull out the Triton LEDs and the other VLEDs to swap the factory incandescents back in.

When you get it up and running, mind sharing some pictures or maybe a clip of them working?

Back