Turn off engine without turning off audio?

:
W WA
:
2024 CX-5 Premium
Is there a way to shut off the engine without turning off music/radio/etc? Like when keys were a thing you could just turn to ACC position.

I think the owners manual indicates that when the car is off if you press the start button without you foot on the brake it will go into acc.

I'm looking for a way to go into ACC from situation where engine is running. For example, when I reach my destination and I'm listening to something interesting on radio, I'd like to turn the engine off and continue listening without the interruption of turning everything off and then turning back on to ACC. Like any other car I've ever owned...

Leave the shift lever in D (probably works in Reverse too, but never tried it) and press the stop engine button. Car will go into ACC mode and the audio won't be interrupted. After the engine stops, shift into P. Of course, keep your foot on the brake pedal while going through this procedure.

My last car would drop into ACC mode for 10 minutes when you shut the engine down before turning off or until you opened a door. It was great for those wait until the song ended or such moments. As I keep telling my wife, this is not a replacement for the old car, but a totally new experience. It is what it is and adjustments have to be made. I use the excuse of letting the turbo cool down for letting the engine run those few more seconds. I’ll have to try the turn off while in D thing and see what happens.

Leave the shift lever in D (probably works in Reverse too, but never tried it) and press the stop engine button. Car will go into ACC mode and the audio won't be interrupted. After the engine stops, shift into P. Of course, keep your foot on the brake pedal while going through this procedure.
I just tried this, it works, thanks!

You are making this WAY too hard. This is covered somewhere. Maybe the owners manual. All you have to do is put it in PARK then hold in the shifter release button in and push the stop button. Engine shuts off and audio stays on in acc mode.

You are making this WAY too hard. This is covered somewhere. Maybe the owners manual. All you have to do is put it in PARK then hold in the shifter release button in and push the stop button. Engine shuts off and audio stays on in acc mode.
This^^^

Works in my 2019 Reserve.

This works perfectly but the power doesn't stay on too long. And this is not covered in the owner's manual. I still don't understand why Mazda would be so stupid as not to include RAP in their cars, even though nearly every other manufacturer of modern vehicles does.

Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Power Mode. Retained accessory power (RAP) is a power mode that permits the operation of some accessories for up to 10 minutes after the ignition switch is turned OFF.

This works perfectly but the power doesn't stay on too long. And this is not covered in the owner's manual. I still don't understand why Mazda would be so stupid as not to include RAP in their cars, even though nearly every other manufacturer of modern vehicles does.

Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Power Mode. Retained accessory power (RAP) is a power mode that permits the operation of some accessories for up to 10 minutes after the ignition switch is turned OFF.

Could be due to the potential electricity drain. For example, if you have the lights on, A/C running, seat ventilation on, radio blasting, USB ports being used, etc., that could all lead to a battery draining quickly, leading to a potential no-start, boost required situation.

My 2005 GMC Canyon has RAP. It lasts 20 minutes, or until a door is opened.

I guess we've all experienced the same "WTF?" moment the first time we turned off the ignition to our cars and the radio went silent. I've been familiar with the hack, but I never remember to use it, nor do I bother turning the ACC back on for the system to reboot just to hear a song to its end...it's already been interrupted.

This is another one of those weird basic electronic tech things that is particularly out of place in a car that is otherwise so well engineered.

Put the car in neutral [N] before turning the engine off
In case the other solution didn't make your radar screen:

-Put it into Park
-Hold in the Shift Release button
-Turn off the engine

^^ Did this. Works fine, but.... I was really hoping for a solution that fit my needs/expectations. On this (in my 6), when I open the door to exit the car, the message that the ignition is still on comes up and the ACC power stays on. Have to go through the button press cycle to get to the off position. Like many of the idiosyncratic bits of Mazdadom, I’ll get used to doing things it’s way. It’ll just take a while.

With my Canyon, I cannot have the radio on and the doors open as I'm working on it because the "Door Open With Key In Ignition" warning continuously chimes.

I still don't understand why Mazda would be so stupid as not to include RAP in their cars, even though nearly every other manufacturer of modern vehicles does.

I'm glad you said "nearly", because Honda doesn't do it, either, except in the 2018 and up Odyssey and 2019 and up RDX. ;)

GM, on the other hand, has had this feature since the early-90s. Some newer Fords not only have retained accessory power, but will let you turn the radio on without even having the key with you!

Could be due to the potential electricity drain. For example, if you have the lights on, A/C running, seat ventilation on, radio blasting, USB ports being used, etc., that could all lead to a battery draining quickly, leading to a potential no-start, boost required situation.

What are you talking about Mike?

RAP, in ANY car that has it, does NOT power the lights, the AC, the seat vents, or any high current draw accessories. RAP powers off after 10 to 20 mins or until a door is opened. How's that an issue for Mazda but not for other makes? As mentioned above, GM vehicles from the 1990's has RAP, it's hardly a new feature.

What are you talking about Mike?

It was just a theory, Conrad. I didn't know that about RAP, having never owned a modern GM product before, so thanks for the info. I won't pretend as if I know how RAP could be integrated into Mazda's systems, or if it is even possible. Truthfully I don't know how or why Mazda executes this particular quirk the way that they do. I was just spitballing.

The hardware for a "retained accessory power" feature has existed in virtually all automobiles for many years, but it's up to the manufacturer to decide if they want to implement that feature or not. Radios, for example, are no longer turned on or off by a power wire from the ignition switch - they're turned on or off using commands sent over a data bus. When you turn the headlight switch on, you're not sending power directly to the headlights - you're sending a request to turn on the headlights to a "body computer" that is always powered and in turn activates an output that powers the headlights.

Back