Turbo is loosing oil. What are my replacement options?

Schwamm

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 1984 RX7 GSL-SE
I discovered today that my turbo is loosing oil which is forming a puddle in the air intake side. I'm looking for feedback on my replacement options without spending over $1000 if possible. I also want to buy something that will last another 10 years, so a new or lightly used turbo is what I'm looking for. Not a used, high mileage T25 from the forums.

Looks like my simple options are a stock replacement T25R ($895 on cross-over-auto) or a GT28R "disco potato" ($969). Someday I might try to get more power out of my car, so a turbo with more room to grow would be nice, especially for only $74 more. For now though, my car is stock with only Corksport intercooler piping. Stock ECU, exhaust mani, intercooler, exhaust, etc etc. I've read threads on here about the disco potato and there seems to be debate as whether or not it works at stock 7psi with the factory ECU and all. So, without buying a bunch of supporting mods and going over budget, what's my best option here? Anyone swapped to the GT28R with stock parts without pushing the engine too hard?

Get the T25 chra replacement. It's around $670. You can keep the same turbo housing just replace the center housing (chra) I did that and it'll last you another 10 years.

Thanks, is that a DIY swap? And do you know where I can buy the chra alone?

It's prolly gonna be more expensive because its directly with Garrett plus you will have a disabled car for weeks until you receive the new chra. Or you can just replace it all at once, by going thro himni racing, up to you.

Considering all of the bolts holding the compressor housing will probably snap or need a torch and a lot of patience to get out from them being heat cycled to over 2000* and back to ambient temp the past ten years, the Garrett option doesn't sound so bad. But if I were you and were spending that much I would at least upgrade to the T28, why not?

And FWIW a dual BB turbo is never supposed to fail, with proper maintenance and normal oil changes they should last up to 200k miles. My original 170k mile turbo on my MSP doesn't leak any oil, but the 110k mile turbo on my new MSP was spewing oil like crazy. AND a little more food for thought: I found a 45k mile turbo on this forum for $250 and it doesn't leak a drop, in case you did want to repair it on the cheap.

Last edited:
I'd love to do the gt28 but only if I can be certain I won't need supporting mods. I'm still not sure about that.

You make a good point about the turbo being difficult to service now. This car has had a turbo timer since it was almost new, as well as regular oil changes, but I have lost a quart of oil every 500-1000 miles for some time and after pulling the turbo to replace the exhaust manifold this past weekend I found a puddle of oil residue in the pre-turbo intake pipe. I'll add a picture here. I think this could very well be the root cause of my mysterious oil consumption, but I'm open to other opinions. I don't want to buy a new turbo if mine turns out to be ok.

lKrRklk.jpg

There was more residue in the intake pipe as well. Not much evidence of it in the intercooler though.

AND a little more food for thought: I found a 45k mile turbo on this forum for $250 and it doesn't leak a drop, in case you did want to repair it on the cheap.

Can you post the link? I'd be interested at that low mileage, but didn't see that in the for sale section unless I just missed t somehow

I bought that turbo a few months ago and it's on my car now, just used it as an example. Honestly that turbo looks fine, residual oil in the pipe is alright. If you pull the hotpipe and there is a big pool of oil sitting in the turbo, it is shot.

Oil in the intake side is typically from the PCV breather vent that hooks to the intake before the turbo.

Oil in the intake side is typically from the PCV breather vent that hooks to the intake before the turbo.

This is interesting... Before all this I thought my oil consumption was caused by Pcv problems. I did not see much oil residue of any kind after the turbo. Not in the charge pipes and not in the intercooler either. I think I will need to do some more research before replacing the turbo perhaps

Got it. That's a relief in a way... Unless I have a lot of blow by causing all this oil to get pushed into the Pcv system. I might have a more serious problem

I think it is pretty normal honestly, but I have had a filter on the PCV vent since I installed the FMIC setup back in 2011 or so.

Get the T25 chra replacement. It's around $670. You can keep the same turbo housing just replace the center housing (chra) I did that and it'll last you another 10 years.

Where are you finding it for $670?

The cheapest I have found so far is RIGHT at $800.. Like $806.00 or something...

EDIT: Just out of curiousity.. after being convinced mine was shot, I pulled the whole assembly and it turns out its fine.

The cheapest I have found so far is RIGHT at $800.. Like $806.00 or something...

EDIT: Just out of curiousity.. after being convinced mine was shot, I pulled the whole assembly and it turns out its fine.
I bought my turbo chra from the himni racing link I posted awhile back. It was around $670.

Welp, if any of you fellas need a turbo. I got one i pulled off a protege i had not too long ago. Very little shaft play.

Like he said, CHRA replacement, just the center cartridge not the complete turbo. You swap the housings over yourself and save a couple hundred bucks. Only downside to that is you are spending almost $700 and you are stuck with a stock T25. The stock turbo is fine but to me it makes more sense to upgrade to a T28 or T3/T4 if you are buying a brand new turbo.

Latest posts

Back