Tried testing SCBS & SBS today

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Had my siblings hold up a sheet, was going pretty slow, and I went right through it. Is it not working? Can a dealer check it out electronically? I'm not going to set up a bunch of boxes

Had my siblings hold up a sheet, was going pretty slow, and I went right through it. Is it not working? Can a dealer check it out electronically? I'm not going to set up a bunch of boxes
If I remember it correctly, the object has to be metal, unless the system is pedestrian capable such as “City Safety” system on Volvo.

Yep. It uses the radar as well as the camera systems. The radar needs something to bounce off of. A sheet and likely cardboard boxes won’t do it. You can cover the sheet with aluminum foil to give it a fair try. We’d all appreciate hearing how it works out. I’ve never given mine a test; did have the BRAKE! message come up once, but never the auto braking activate.

I've seen those, that's nice, but I'm not going to find out the hard way whether that works or not. That's why I was hoping that hanging the sheet should be enough for radar to bring my car to a stop. Of course, if you are willing to sign a waiver and walk in front of my car while I do not apply the brakes, I'd be more than happy to entertain that idea.

It is based on dual detection. Either by radar (bounced off metal objects) or by vehicle shapes detected by camera. Radar is also used for MRCC.
You can refer to this video of Auto-test in Taiwan. They used a cardboard with a CX3 rear end picture on it. It worked very well.
You don't need understand what he was saying..... :)

... People aren't made of aluminum ...

People aren't shaped like sheets either. You can't have an emergency braking system that triggers on anything and everything or it would be throwing you through the window all day with false alarms. The car's sensor is programmed to recognize the human form (which is why it won't emergency brake for animals).

This isn't an autonomous driving system but rather a simple "driver distraction" system. I think many people believe it is much more capable than it actually is. If you are manipulating the accelerator or turning the steering wheel the car assumes YOU are paying attention and driving and won't intervene. (It may warn you but not intervene). Notice on that video by @ceric that the driver had his foot off the accelerator and did not move the steering wheel during the SCBS demo.

I always get the BRAKE signal when driving in the 1st lane on the highway and the car in front exits off.

I've seen those, that's nice, but I'm not going to find out the hard way whether that works or not. That's why I was hoping that hanging the sheet should be enough for radar to bring my car to a stop. Of course, if you are willing to sign a waiver and walk in front of my car while I do not apply the brakes, I'd be more than happy to entertain that idea.
There’re quite a few videos available testing automatic brake system and the most famous one is this Volvo XC60 with standard "City Safety" system, which is similar to Mazda’s SCBS but doesn't have optional "Pedestrian Detection", just plowed through a couple of sales reps at a Volvo dealership in Dominican Republic:

Be aware that not until 2019 MY CX-5 (does not include Sport) in the US, Mazda started to offer Advanced Smart City Brake Support with Pedestrian Detection. Mazda has said the laser sensor for standard SCBS behind the top windshield has limited function, can only recognize car shaped metal object, not anything else including pedestrian.

Definitely you don’t want to test the SCBS out of curiosity or you may end up like this poor guy testing a gen-1 CX-5: :eek:

I tried with my 2019 GTR this weekend. First used boxes it worked 1 time of about 10 attempts. Then I found a 5 foot wire and plastic snowman Christmas decoration. It did not stop for that either.

I think you have to go about 15mph or faster. It is not a reliable system that's for sure.

System must have error/fault, mine brakes for bikes, cars, people and even to low traffic signs.
It works as supposed.

I've had mine kick in twice so far. Both times it shook me up as I was not expecting it.
I haven't tried testing it with boxes or sheets or the like, but knowing it worked twice in real situations is good enough for me.

I've had mine kick in twice so far. Both times it shook me up as I was not expecting it.
I haven't tried testing it with boxes or sheets or the like, but knowing it worked twice in real situations is good enough for me.

+1 for kicking in twice here as well (with cars at least). Once was on the highway going about 110 km/h and the other on a city road going about 60km/h. It hit the brakes pretty hard both times with a bit of tire squeal, but both times I was pretty close to the car ahead.

System must have error/fault, mine brakes for bikes, cars, people and even to low traffic signs. It works as supposed.
Keep in mind In the US we get Advanced Smart City Brake Support with Pedestrian Detection only since 2019 CX-5 MY (expect 2019 CX-5 Sport). And both ASCBS and SCBS are for driving at low speeds (approximately 2.5 ~ 19 mph or 4 ~ 30 km/h on SCBS) only. The objects intended to detect are very different between the two.

Last edited:
Back