Transmission issues (Loss of power)?

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
One thing I'd ask for when you take it back is for them to do a compression test.
The fact that yours feels less powerful and has to downshift going up a slight incline tells me you might have one cylinder with low compression.
It's been known to happen.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA

Here you are.

0A790474-915C-41EC-B712-648198BA7AD0.jpeg
So it’s ticking noise complaint which made the Mazda tech line replaced all hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs). There’s a Service Alert for this valve ticking noise. Based on the part numbers listed on the invoice, they’re:

8 X PYFA-12-100A ADJUSTER, H
Valve Lifters - Mazda (PYFA-12-100A) Replaces: PYFA-12-100
Other Names: Engine Camshaft Follower, Adjuster Hydraulic Lash
Description: CX-3. Mazda6. CX-5. Mazda3. CX-30. Without turbo. Without cyl deactivation.

8 X PYFA-12-1A0 ADJUSTER, H
Engine Camshaft Follower - Mazda (PYFA-12-1A0)
Replaces: PYFA-12-1A0A
Other Names: Adjuster Hydraulic Lash S
Description: Intake. Cylinder Deactivation.

The “Engine Camshaft Follower” name for part no. PYFA-12-1A0 is confusing. But it does say “Adjuster Hydraulic Lash” in Other Names. This more complicated (and more expensive) HLA or hydraulic valve lifter is the switchable HLA designed for cylinder #1 and #4 for cylinder deactivation where the valve lifting function can be deactivated.

Service Alert No.: SA-012/19 Last Issued: 11/22/2019 - VALVE TAPPING OR KNOCKING NOISE HEARD FROM CYLINDER HEAD

71DE6061-66B3-4BB8-AD8A-A256D04862DA.jpeg

Last edited:
So it’s ticking noise complaint which made the Mazda tech line replaced all hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs). There’s a Service Alert for this valve ticking noise. Based on the part numbers listed on the invoice, they’re:

Description: CX-3. Mazda6. CX-5. Mazda3. CX-30. Without turbo. Without cyl deactivation.

The “Engine Camshaft Follower” name for part no. PYFA-12-1A0 is confusing. But it does say “Adjuster Hydraulic Lash” in Other Names. This more complicated (and more expensive) HLA or hydraulic valve lifter is the switchable HLA designed for cylinder #1 and #4 for cylinder deactivation where the valve lifting function can be deactivated.

Service Alert No.: SA-012/19 Last Issued: 11/22/2019 - VALVE TAPPING OR KNOCKING NOISE HEARD FROM CYLINDER HEAD

View attachment 297383
Great, how can I deactivate it?

One thing I'd ask for when you take it back is for them to do a compression test.
The fact that yours feels less powerful and has to downshift going up a slight incline tells me you might have one cylinder with low compression.
It's been known to happen.
I'll tell them.

Thanks for posting that, and it clears up the mystery (to me). According to what they wrote, you had mentioned ticking noise and, based on that noise, they decided to replace the HLAs. And that was listed on the sheet as a separate problem, completely unrelated to the timing cover leak. So all of that makes complete sense to me now.

Now getting back to your original problem statement; given that your vehicle is still under warranty, as others have previously mentioned, you have no choice other than taking it back to your service department, and trying to convince them of what you posted here. Your argument will be that the loaner you drove had more power and did not have the issues that you believe your vehicle currently has. Request that a tech take a ride with you, and then you can point out to him/her exactly what you think is abnormal. Hopefully they will be willing to do that, and will agree with you about what you think is a problem.

On the other page(s) of that paperwork, do you see any line item that looks like number of hours for labor? It's just an insignificant thing, but I'm always interested in what the automakers consider to be the appropriate amount of time for a tech to do a job.
Unfortunately, it's all 0's.

Funny enough, it wasn't a ticking at all. It was what sounded like a loose exhaust shield but coming from the engine every 5 seconds like clockwork on idle. I had to listen on the passenger side of the car wheel well. I'm very in tune with my vehicles. I always compare to a standard that is new (loaner in this case). I think they just wrote that down because it got me the warranty work and got them paid.

Ok thanks for looking and reporting back. And good luck when you go back and try to get them to agree with what you're saying. I hope that works out favorably for you!
So far I've had pretty good luck with them as far as their knowledge and am really looking to see if they can solve my problem. The dealership is known for very good customer service and they take it seriously.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Recently, I had my timing cover gasket replaced under warranty for my 2018 CX-5 Grand touring. I had to have this done twice because the first time after I got it back, it sprayed oil all under the engine compartment and leaked again.The second time Mazda corporate got involved with my Mazda dealer and it seems that they have resolved the issue *knock on wood* and also replaced the hydraulic lifters. Having had a loaner now for a total of three weeks over the span of the two fixes, I noticed that the 2020 model that I was driving around was far more powerful and would stay around 2,000 RPMs going up a hill and still gain some speed or at least stay the same speed without having to downshift. My 2018 model has to downshift on even the slightest hill. It almost feels as if the car has less compression or that something is preventing it from riding smoothly.it seems when I go down the hill with the one I own comparative to the 2020 dealership model, mine stays the same speed or loses speed whereas the dealership cx-5 gains speed. I don't know where to start if it's a transmission issue or brakes rubbing. I don't smell anything or see anything that looks out of place as far as the brakes are concerned. Where should I start with this issue? Has anybody else had this kind of issue? Any advice would be appreciated.
You said this lack of power problem happening before the repairs were done, so there’s nothing the dealer could have done to cause this.

What is the mpg of your CX-5? Have you checked the tire pressure?

If your 2018 CX-5 no longer has new car warranty, you still can take in to your Mazda dealer and complain the lack of power issue under powertrain warranty by saying you drove the loaner car and found your CX-5 definitely is lacking power. Or (somebody else may suggest) you may say you found the engine is lacking power since the repairs were done when the car was under new car warranty.

The whole thing is unfortunate to you. But your lack of power issue can be caused by too many possibilities. A thorough inspection with Mazda diagnostic computer may be the best way to figure out what is happening to your CX-5. IMO the transmission is the least likely culprit to your lack of power problem.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Do you mean the first page of the last work done or all invoices period? I think I may only have the most recent.
All recent work done by the dealer if possible.

You said this lack of power problem happening before the repairs were done, so there’s nothing the dealer could have done to cause this.

What is the mpg of your CX-5? Have you checked the tire pressure?

If your 2018 CX-5 no longer has new car warranty, you still can take in to your Mazda dealer and complain the lack of power issue under powertrain warranty by saying you drove the loaner car and found your CX-5 definitely is lacking power. Or (somebody else may suggest) you may say you found the engine is lacking power since the repairs were done when the car was under new car warranty.

The whole thing is unfortunate to you. But your lack of power issue can be caused by too many possibilities. A thorough inspection with Mazda diagnostic computer may be the best way to figure out what is happening to your CX-5. IMO the transmission is the least likely culprit to your lack of power problem.

Yeah I didn't think it was transmission related. Except maybe the issue of under filling I read about on here. Fortunately, I have a cpo warranty until November of 2021. So far I'm thinking of having them update the firmware for cd, transmission (I think I read about a tsb on shift points around here), and a compression test. I'm seriously wondering if the compression can lower from that rocker arm falling out of place? Most say it isn't discernible at low speeds but if it is that, I can tell whereas someone like my wife or regular driver would never noticed at low speed.