• Welcome to Mazdas247. Membership is free and offers many benefits, please Click Here to learn more, thanks!
  • Mazdas247 is an Amazon Associate and earns from qualifying purchases.

Transmission fluid change

Own a 2012 Mazda5 Sport, 95k miles. Purchased in 2016 at 73k miles.

Don't know if transmission fluid has been ever changed, but it is dark, so I am looking to do a drain and fill.

Planning on buying a few quarts of Mazda Genuine ATF M-V, Type M5, #0000-77-112E-01.

Interested in your opinions:
-Is the extra price for Mazda Genuine worth it vs. the universal brands?
-For those that buy Mazda Genuine transmission fluid, where do you usually get it, looking at Amazon or zoomzoomnationparts.com. This stuff ain't cheap.
-Should 4 quarts be sufficient for 1 drain and fill? I don't want to buy too much as (per orders from my wife) storage space is limited.
-Assuming this is the first time doing a drain and fill, when should I do it again?
-Anything else I am not considering?

Thank you

:
2010 Mazda 5 Sport
You talking an automatic?

If an automatic, I know on my other car it takes 16 quarts for a full drain and fill.

Most of the fluid in an automatic is in the Torque Converter and you need to get it pumped out.

Or you can drain the bit in the pan, replace with 2-4 quarts and just do it every month until the color comes back.

:
2006 Mazda 6 - auto
Own a 2012 Mazda5 Sport, 95k miles. Purchased in 2016 at 73k miles.

Don't know if transmission fluid has been ever changed, but it is dark, so I am looking to do a drain and fill.

Planning on buying a few quarts of Mazda Genuine ATF M-V, Type M5, #0000-77-112E-01.

Interested in your opinions:
-Is the extra price for Mazda Genuine worth it vs. the universal brands? - no
-For those that buy Mazda Genuine transmission fluid, where do you usually get it, looking at Amazon or zoomzoomnationparts.com. This stuff ain't cheap.
-Should 4 quarts be sufficient for 1 drain and fill? I don't want to buy too much as (per orders from my wife) storage space is limited. -yes
-Assuming this is the first time doing a drain and fill, when should I do it again? - next oil change - do 3x to get most out.
-Anything else I am not considering?

Thank you
This has been discussed a lot previously. Use search. Here is one link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...ence-on-the-mz5.123824925/page-2#post-6163622

I've put my answers to your questions in bold above. I would suggest the valvoline maxlife - cheap at Walmart.

:
2010 Mazda 5 Sport
Looks like the full capacity is near 8qt as best I can find. Again, do the 3-4qt drain and fill 2 or 3 more times over 2-3 months and you will get it really close to new.

Weekly Poll: Interested in the new Mazda3?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • I’d prefer a CX-30

Votes: 4 19.0%