Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

Cheaping out on ATF is a false economy. Spend the bucks, get the specific Type FZ fluid, even if you have to get it from the Stealership. "Saving" $35 on cheap or wrong ATF may wind up costing you $3500 for a new transmission.
If you’re talking to me, it isn’t about cheap, it’s about being able to order it from a local shop. I used to be able to order the Idemitzu ATF for the Subaru through World PAC. If not, I’ll just get it next time we are on the Front Range, or order it online.

Engineered for and meets requirements of Mazda Automatic Transmission with M-V (M5) specifications.

If the ATF doesn’t say Mazda FZ, don’t use it.

Ok sorry for the false information - thanks for the clarification.
So I went to the source and contacted Idemitsu Lubricants for clarification.

What I wrote:

"
I am attempting to find the correct Idemitsu transmission fluid for a modern Mazda transmission.
NOT this fluid for the older transmissions:
https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/product/atf-type-m

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD
Type FZ
OEM part: Genuine Mazda 0000-FZ-113E-01

Rumor has it that Idemitsu manufactures the ATF for Mazda thus the reason I want to go direct to the source.

Please advise if a consumer available fluid made by Idemitsu is available.

Thank you.
"
============================
the response:

Hello CX5_Driver,

Many thanks for reaching Idemitsu Lubricants with your query.

We regret to inform you that we do not have an Idemitsu brand transmission fluid for your 2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD vehicle currently.

For better protection of your vehicle and optimum performance, we recommend you continue using of Genuine Mazda 0000-FZ-113E-01 in your vehicle.

Should you have any question regarding this e-mail, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Thomas Khondaker | トーマス コンダカル
Product Manager
After Market

Idemitsu Lubricants America Corp.
3000 Town Center, Suite 2820
Southfield, MI 48075

Phone 248-355-0666 Ext. 2055
Mobile 248-709-1785
Web ilacorp.com
Idemitsulubricants.com

Our Fluid Intelligence, Your Life's Excellence

Ok sorry for the false information - thanks for the clarification.
So I went to the source and contacted Idemitsu Lubricants for clarification.

What I wrote:

"
I am attempting to find the correct Idemitsu transmission fluid for a modern Mazda transmission.
NOT this fluid for the older transmissions:
https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/product/atf-type-m

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD
Type FZ
OEM part: Genuine Mazda 0000-FZ-113E-01

Rumor has it that Idemitsu manufactures the ATF for Mazda thus the reason I want to go direct to the source.

Please advise if a consumer available fluid made by Idemitsu is available.

Thank you.
"
============================
the response:

Hello CX5_Driver,

Many thanks for reaching Idemitsu Lubricants with your query.

We regret to inform you that we do not have an Idemitsu brand transmission fluid for your 2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD vehicle currently.

For better protection of your vehicle and optimum performance, we recommend you continue using of Genuine Mazda 0000-FZ-113E-01 in your vehicle.

Should you have any question regarding this e-mail, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Thomas Khondaker | トーマス コンダカル
Product Manager
After Market

Idemitsu Lubricants America Corp.
3000 Town Center, Suite 2820
Southfield, MI 48075

Phone 248-355-0666 Ext. 2055
Mobile 248-709-1785
Web ilacorp.com
Idemitsulubricants.com

Our Fluid Intelligence, Your Life's Excellence
Interesting. I wonder who makes Mazda's fluid. Next time I get near a dealer, I'll pick up a case.

Interesting. I wonder who makes Mazda's fluid. Next time I get near a dealer, I'll pick up a case.
It’s been mentioned earlier, Mazda genuine ATF FZ 0000-FZ-113E-01 is made by Idemitsu. You can do online order over $100 with free shipping for better price on OEM ATF FZ.

He said they do not have an Idemitsu BRAND fluid .I take that to mean they don't offer one with their label on it. They still could make it for Mazda under the Mazda label. Maybe there is some non-compete arrangement.

How do you get the rubber insulators over the posts to remove the lower portion of the airbox? (see pic) You just muscle them over the posts? The top of the posts have a large retainer, that is why I figured I would ask before trying to force the rubber insulators over them. This is the gen2 CX-5.

Airbox.JPG

How do you get the rubber insulators over the posts to remove the lower portion of the airbox? (see pic) You just muscle them over the posts? The top of the posts have a large retainer, that is why I figured I would ask before trying to force the rubber insulators over them. This is the gen2 CX-5.

View attachment 297855
If I were you I’d post or PM this question to @Digbicks1234:

2016.5 CX-5 Transmission fluid change questions

DABA3B5A-1630-43D8-9C12-50B9CD2E2B98.png

But my guess is you just muscle them over.

I did what Digbicks1234 did, for the most part it is intuitive. The top comes off easy, leave the sensor connected and put it out of the way. Take out the filter. Undo the two 10mm screws holding the scoop to take it and the bottom part of the airbox out together. The rubber grommets are captured really well though on those plastic posts.

I will try and pop them up tomorrow. I put it back together and mowed the lawn :-/ I just want to reach the stupid dip stick to check my transmission fluid level.
At least it’s feasible to check the ATF level on your 2.5L!

It’s going to be almost impossible to check the ATF level with a 2.5T ⋯ 🤬

I think I’ve read hundreds of posts here about ATF change as I plan to do it on my 39000 mile Mazda6. While dropping the pan is best, I have neither conditions for that nor assurance that the pan will hold and I won't curse my self to oblivion.

So I decided to stick to simple drain and fill. However, would it be more efficient and most importantly safe for the transmission to do sort of a mini flush while pouring new fluid from the top of the hole and having the drain hole below open so the new fluid would push out the old one? The engine would be off.

Nah. That won't really do much. Just do the simple drain and fill. It's super easy.

The schedule I use:
30k drain and fill
60k drain, drop pan change filter, fill
90k drain and fill
120k drain, drop pan change filter, fill
Etc

I think I’ve read hundreds of posts here about ATF change as I plan to do it on my 39000 mile Mazda6. While dropping the pan is best, I have neither conditions for that nor assurance that the pan will hold and I won't curse my self to oblivion.
Here’re a couple of very useful threads by Digbicks1234 and PatrickGSR94 with their actual experience on ATF drain-and-fill and pan-drop with filter cartridge replacement:

2016.5 CX-5 Transmission fluid change questions

2014 CX5 Tune-Up items to replace?

So I decided to stick to simple drain and fill. However, would it be more efficient and most importantly safe for the transmission to do sort of a mini flush while pouring new fluid from the top of the hole and having the drain hole below open so the new fluid would push out the old one? The engine would be off.
There’s about a half of the ATF which stays in the sealed torque converter and it can’t be drained. So without engine running there’s nothing the fresh ATF can “push” out as the old ATF stayed in the ATF pan mostly has already been drained out. You’re only wasting plenty of expensive Mazda FZ ATF. If you really want to replace more than 50% of the old ATF, do the ATF drain-and-fill 2 or 3 times with several days of driving interval.

Last edited:
Yep, no point in doing anything more than a drain and fill unless you intend to also change out the filter, in which case dropping the pan is required. The rest of the fluid is in the torque converter, so you won't be flushing anything.

I will probably be doing another drain/fill at 110k miles (I did my previous at 71k). I am at 102k now. Contemplating doing the filter change, wasn't really sure how often those should be replaced.

Last edited:
Yep, no point in doing anything more than a drain and fill unless you intend to also change out the filter, in which case dropping the pan is required. The best of the fluid is in the torque converter, so you won't be flushing anything.

I will probably be doing another drain/fill at 110k miles (I did my previous at 71k). I am at 102k now. Contemplating doing the filter change, wasn't really sure how often those should be replaced.
I’m likely going to be trading or selling my ‘13 CX-5 in about 4 years time. I’m currently at 91k miles and looking to drain and fill 3x at 100k miles. I was going to do the filter at that time, but I don’t think it’ll be worth the effort for me if I’m hanging on to it only a few more years after that.

You can get a Wix filter that comes with a silicone pan gasket from O'Reilly's for under $30. That means you don't have to mess with RTV, which makes the job way faster in the future.

By far the biggest pain in the ass the first time you drop the pan is cleaning up the factory RTV off of the pan and case. That'll take you about 30 minutes, no lie.

The second time you drop the pan, because you used the gasket, takes seconds!

You can get a Wix filter that comes with a silicone pan gasket from O'Reilly's for under $30. That means you don't have to mess with RTV, which makes the job way faster in the future.

By far the biggest pain in the ass the first time you drop the pan is cleaning up the factory RTV off of the pan and case. That'll take you about 30 minutes, no lie.

The second time you drop the pan, because you used the gasket, takes seconds!
No issues with the gasket leaking? A gasket would be the way to go.

Back