Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

WHere do you guys buy the 0000-FZ-113E-01 fluid. I see Amazon sells for $19 a quart. I don't see it on Med Mazda site where i usually buy mu oil and filters. is it ok to pour all 4 quarts in the fill or shoudl i aim for exact drain and fill measurement? I want to change it at 50k miles. CX-5 started doing a harder shift from P to 1 and sometimes form 1 - 2 at about 30k miles. It only does this when car has been sitting unused over night.Than doesnt do it anymore during stop and go. Im reading reviews of folks claiming transmission shifts smoother after a drain and fill.

WHere do you guys buy the 0000-FZ-113E-01 fluid. I see Amazon sells for $19 a quart. I don't see it on Med Mazda site where i usually buy mu oil and filters. is it ok to pour all 4 quarts in the fill or shoudl i aim for exact drain and fill measurement? I want to change it at 50k miles. CX-5 started doing a harder shift from P to 1 and sometimes form 1 - 2 at about 30k miles. It only does this when car has been sitting unused over night.Than doesnt do it anymore during stop and go. Im reading reviews of folks claiming transmission shifts smoother after a drain and fill.

I'd buy at least 4. Use a mop bucket with the measuring lines inside to drain

How much are you able to get it for at dealer?

I have to factor in about 10% sales tax here in WA state.

How much are you able to get it for at dealer?

I have to factor in about 10% sales tax here in WA state.

I want to say about $13 per bottle but since its local I can buy them and do the actual service same day at home. They charge about $199 with 10% off service coupon for them to do one 4-quart drain/fill session.

Don't pour 4 quarts of fresh ATF or you'd be overfilled. Based on several members' experience, I believe it'd pretty close to proper ATF level with 3.7~3.72 quarts of fresh ATF if you drained old ATF completely on level surface.

I always suspect the rough shift on some CX-5 owners may caused by low-filled ATF from factory. Make sure to measure factory ATF level with stated procedure and ATF temperature to verify factory ATF level before you do the drain-and-fill. It it's low, bring it to correct ATF level during the drain-and-fill with fresh ATF and this should help to smooth out the rough shift.

I know just one drain/fill & topping off a slightly low factory fill but after repeated drives I can't find a way to deny that it does indeed shift smoother.

I never thought it had rough shifting but I can tell it is different. It just seems more refined and smoother.

Don't pour 4 quarts of fresh ATF or you'd be overfilled. Based on several members' experience, I believe it'd pretty close to proper ATF level with 3.7~3.72 quarts of fresh ATF if you drained old ATF completely on level surface.

I always suspect the rough shift on some CX-5 owners may caused by low-filled ATF from factory. Make sure to measure factory ATF level with stated procedure and ATF temperature to verify factory ATF level before you do the drain-and-fill. It it's low, bring it to correct ATF level during the drain-and-fill with fresh ATF and this should help to smooth out the rough shift.
I drained mine with the front end elevated on ramps. Drained 3.5 quarts. 3.7 quarts to fill to specification on dipstick.

I believe Kedis drained under that while level?

I know just one drain/fill & topping off a slightly low factory fill but after repeated drives I can't find a way to deny that it does indeed shift smoother.

I never thought it had rough shifting but I can tell it is different. It just seems more refined and smoother.
I agree even just do one drain-and fill to proper ATF level, it should help the transmission, especially the under-filled factory ATF which could cause some ill-effects. I do believe those complaints about rough-shifting on their transmission very likely caused by under-filled AFT from factory, and they should check the ATF level with stated procedure and ATF temperature first.

BTW which OBDII BT reader or app did you eventually use on your CX-5 as you've at least mentioned a couple, like OBDLink, FORScan / Lite, ELM327, or UltraGauge MX? And which one do you recomnmend?

Just for shopping comparison at OEMVehicleparts.com . / 30% off shipping with MAZDAS247 checkout code

https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-atf-type-fz-0000fz113e01

Price out the door per quart using 30% coupon.
12 quarts -$13.70/quart

10 quarts - $13.89/quart

8 quarts - $14.11/quart

6 quarts - $14.43/quart

4 quarts - $15.21/quart

I bought mine here. It was $10.81 when I bought them a couple months ago, but now they're $11.13. https://www.realmazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-atf-type-fz-0000fz113e01

BTW which OBDII BT reader or app did you eventually use on your CX-5 as you've at least mentioned a couple, like OBDLink, FORScan / Lite, ELM327, or UltraGauge MX? And which one do you recomnmend?

FORScan seemed more than capable and I think a few have already used it for their fluid swap.

I used OBDLink... this is one of their adapters and includes the software

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

If you go with OBD Fusion you can buy the model year specific add-on for an extra $10. OBD Link basically includes all vehicles though so depending on how many vehicles you plan to use will determine purchase path.

OBD Fusion can be used with any adapter... Link only works with the MX.

I use Scangauge in each of my two vehicles, primarily because I like having the convenience of glancing down and reading any 4 of 16 readouts.

Another drain and fill. Took me may be 40 minutes from pulling everything out to cleanup.

Interestingly drained 3 quarts 10 fl oz (~3.3 quarts). I have very accurate measure cups. So I just refilled with what came out. Perhaps more was captured in the TC that didn't drain to pan?

Another drain and fill. Took me may be 40 minutes from pulling everything out to cleanup.

Interestingly drained 3 quarts 10 fl oz (~3.3 quarts). I have very accurate measure cups. So I just refilled with what came out. Perhaps more was captured in the TC that didn't drain to pan?

Very interesting. As I was experimenting with different fill levels to get to the correct level, I always drained exactly what I had filled with.

All with the rhino ramps.

Next drain and fill I plan to do another level test at temp... I will update thread with results.

This third one was 3 quarts 17 ounces (3.53 quarts)

2nd again was 3.31 quarts

and first was 3.72 quarts

I didn't do another level test in near future. I will do that before I put the under splash cover back on. I still have ~1.5 quarts left.

Back