Transmission cooler

YelPro03

:
2015 Mazda 3s Touring
Does anyone one have a picture of a transmission cooler installed on a P5? Obviousely I'm looking for people with an auto tranny who drives in such a way that it needs a transmission cooler (towing, booted, hard driver, etc.). I'm thinking about installing one but I don't know where it would go.

u can run it inline with the current tranny cooler. Pm "The Wrench", he installed one...But basically a line from the ATF pan to the tranny will work. U could also search and their may be a pic somewhere.

If you decide to buy one, let me know. I bought a thermal cool tranny cooler for my p5 and it's still in the box (and still sealed in the plastic). I would give you a good deal on it.

I bought it because i was going to turbo my p5. But instead I bought a WRX and gave the p5 to my wife.

So i never even opened it up.

Oh and funky... our tranny cooler on the p5 is the container attached to the bottom of the radiator.

You can obtain the best cooling results by placing the aftermarket tranny cooler in line between the factory cooler and the tranny.

This way you have "added" a cooling step instead of "replacing"

Yosky and I just got him a Thermocool tranny cooler from NAPA today. We got the 4"x11" one. There are two lines coming out of your tranny and running to the bottom of the radiator. Just unhook those lines and hook them to your new cooler and you are ready to go. It looks like you will have to extend the lines to get the cooler to mount in front of the radiator in the lower grill.

edit:

good idea about running the new cooler inline with the stock setup

Sorry to bump an old thread.. but im kinda interested in this now. I wanted to prolong the life of my pathetic automatic transmission and was wondering if this would help.

Anyone install this? Could use some pointers.

Nutari said:
Sorry to bump an old thread.. but im kinda interested in this now. I wanted to prolong the life of my pathetic automatic transmission and was wondering if this would help.

Anyone install this? Could use some pointers.
Nutari,

I never got around to installing it because I ended up not turboing my p5 (bought a WRX instead). But you are interested, I still have the perma-cool one that I purchased (still in its originall packing and shrink wrap). I would sell it to you cheaper than you can find it online since I have no need for it. Its a Perma-Cool #1011 (for 14000-16000 gvw... which is plenty for the p5).

The size is roughly 15" x 5" x 1". You can cut a piece of cardboard out (15x5) and try it out under your car to determine the best placement. I found a few spots in front that would have worked extremely well.

Let me know if you are interested.
Kind Regards,
Dale.

dficken said:
Nutari,

I never got around to installing it because I ended up not turboing my p5 (bought a WRX instead). But you are interested, I still have the perma-cool one that I purchased (still in its originall packing and shrink wrap). I would sell it to you cheaper than you can find it online since I have no need for it. Its a Perma-Cool #1011 (for 14000-16000 gvw... which is plenty for the p5).

The size is roughly 15" x 5" x 1". You can cut a piece of cardboard out (15x5) and try it out under your car to determine the best placement. I found a few spots in front that would have worked extremely well.

Let me know if you are interested.
Kind Regards,
Dale.

If you could walk me through how to install it.. I might pick it up..

it seems like a big project.. cutting into lines.. running new lines...

How much would it be?

Nutari said:

How much would it be?
It's not a bad install at all. The hardest part is just finding where to mount the cooler. take the front bumper off and you'll have a better idea of where you can put it. We mounted Yosky's by hanging it from the bumper support on the driver's side of the front of the car. The lines are already there although you will need to make one of them longer by extending it with the hose that comes in the kit. You can by a splice at just about any hardware store. All you need to do is take the lines off the radiator and hook them to the new cooler, or if you want to you can run a line from the tranny to the new cooler, then from the new cooler to the radiator, and then back to the tranny for a little extra cooling power. I wish I had pics of Yosky's setup.

yep, running parallel is the way to go. you'll have to add a little bit more tranny fluid to make up for the increased capacity of the tranny cooler.

I honestly don't know because I never installed mine. But if you cut out a piece of carboard 15"x5", get under your car and pull down the plastic covering, you will get a better idea of where to place it. The 2 places that I was considering would not have required me to even pull of the bumper.

Nutari said:

How much would it be?
1. was right in front of the power steering cooler

2. same spot as the power steering cooling line but on the drivers side (which would be better in my opinion).

I believe both could be done without removing the bumper as long as you put your car on ramps.

you will most likely need a longer hose that what comes with the kit. But it's not very much.

As far as tapping into the lines... look at the 2 lines that run into the bottom container under the radiator. There is one on the drivers side and one on the passengers side. All you need to do is run the output of that to the input o fthe new tranny cooler. Then of course run the output of the new tranny cooler back to the transmission.

If you are confuse which is which, trace the 2 lins back to the transmission. You will see them marked with blue and red. Red should be the hot line that needs to be cooled and the blue is the cool which needs to go back into the gear box.

For best possible cooling, you just need to hook up the cooler to the blue line. Well the line is actually black but its marked with a little blue dot on the transmission (which you can the trace back). :)

As for price... I would sell it for $25 bucks plus actual shipping costs. UPS rated the box that it came in at 5lbs, the size of the box is 33"x15"x5" and the zipcode that I would be shipping it from is 63143.

I would like to use FedEX or USPS since they are closest. Which ever is cheaper is fine with me.

Let me know.
Regards,
Dale.

Last edited:
heh i'm also interested in adding a tranny cooler.. so if nutari doesn't want to pick yours up.. i'd be interested.

One of the guys up here recently added a cooler and his is in front of his radiator on the left side.. it's a tiny mofo too. like 5 x 9 or so.. but like 1/2 thick. don't even know who makes it. I'll ask him.

is in front of the rad a good place?? (upper left)

SkinnyJoint said:
would u also need to add more tranny fluid?
Yes. You can either add little by little while monitoring the dipstick or you can prefill the tube and whatever amount of hose (then drain it into a quart bottle or other measuring device) if you want to be exact about it.

niv said:
heh i'm also interested in adding a tranny cooler.. so if nutari doesn't want to pick yours up.. i'd be interested.

One of the guys up here recently added a cooler and his is in front of his radiator on the left side.. it's a tiny mofo too. like 5 x 9 or so.. but like 1/2 thick. don't even know who makes it. I'll ask him.

is in front of the rad a good place?? (upper left)
In front of the radiator is fine. The design will still allow air to pass through. Although if you are that worried about it, you could put it at the bottom, opposite of the power steering line/cooler (which is that metal tube that in the shape of a hair pin). It will still allow sufficient air flow through the lower grill.

Back