Transfer Case - 4WD Issues

The way I read it is that if you take off very quickly from a stand still postion meaning you punch the gas to take off you will damage the trans as well. That really sucks if you ask me. I guess I will be looking for another brand when the time comes.

that's how I read Vlad's post too, I guess don't punch the gas (FWD or AWD) from a standstill, not good for the axle splines.

CX-9 seems to be just a re-badged FORD. almost every single mechanical part has "FOMOCO" on it, "FOMOCO" on the transfer case. Also, I just changed front brake pads this past weekend and surprise, surprise "FOMOCO" casted on the calipers.

At least I don't think the transmission is a FORD, I read somewhere it's an Aisin transmission and also confirmed on Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aisin_transmissions#Automatic_transmissions
2005–present Aisin AWF-21, FWD - 5 & 6-speed
Ford Five Hundred, Ford Fusion -till 2009,Ford Mondeo 2007-2011, Mercury Montego, Mercury Milan -till 2009, Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ,2010-2014, MG6 Petrol & Diesel , Roewe 550 , Mazda6, Mazda CX-7, Mazda CX-9, Land Rover LR2

Last edited:
Mazda really needs to recall this thing with a redesigned unit. http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-9/2015/consumer-reviews/pg-1/ "Toxic Fumes Fill Car when Impending T-Case Fails"

What the heck???? Brand new 2015 with only 12,500 miles and already venting out oil, that's the earliest failure we've seen so far, doesn't bode well for 2015 models either, doesn't look like Mazda changed the transfer case design ever since 2007.

Either that or the oil that comes with the transfer case is subpar and just not the right brand to use in such a harsh environment.

I have to admit, at first I thought Avidien's maintenance plan of changing the transfer case oil every 6000 miles was a little extreme and overboard, but now I'm thinking he's got the right idea if he's making to over 90,000 on his original transfer case.

Last edited:
Wait, i am not sure but i beleive Vlad said those pictures were from the right axle and he was running in 2wd so it has nothing ot do with the transfer case. From what i read, maybe he can give us some more details butfrom what i understand his transfer was screwed and he run the car like that and he also stripped the right axle within the diff after a while. If i look at the parts, the male splines don't look like the transfer case but the right axle.

I may be wrong though. This would mean that even running it in 2wd could be dangerous.
it was the right axle of another man from the ru forum. I have 69k miles on my 08 AWD GT and my transfer case still working good but whining at low speed. I have changing the TC oil every ~6К (first time it was at ~27к, beacause first owner have a some leak of TC and changed oil seal there).
And small video with rebuilded TC and axel

I understand the first half of the video where the output transmission splines connect to the transfer case splines which in turn drive the rear shaft.

BUT what does the axle splines do ?? and how is that connected to the transmission ? Is that on FWD models also ?

I did find this old link, something about greasing the front axle splines ? Vlad's pic of the axle splines show a lot of rust, I wonder if it's a maintenance requirement to keep it greased : http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123754093-Clicking

Last edited:
the little piece you see he is hooking to the splines of the axle is usually inside the diff and this is where it hooks up

Well, my wife's CX9 appears to be leaking from the transfer case. This just started a few weeks ago when I noticed a few spots on the driveway. Her car has upwards of 120K miles and I changed the fluid in the case around 110K miles.

She has an appointment today for the control arm(ball joint) recall, so we'll see what they say. Hopefully they'll just day I didn't fully tighten the drain/fill plug when I changed the diff fluid a few months ago.

She's a gonner....the transfer case that is. I didn't ask the details of how they know, but it was leaking enough to know to just replace it per their recommendation. ~$1200 parts($700) and labor($500). Guess that's what you get for replacing the fluid and paying off the car. (bang)

At least they gave you a fair price...kind of
..labor is still a rape but oh well....it's a stealership so keeping that in mind...you got yourself decent deal.

We have couple options and conclusions looking at your situation:
1) TC was already shot when u changed fluid
2) changing fluid does nothing to a faulty design
3) in contrast ...those TC that are still healthy ...for whatever reason...would remain healthy. .fluid. hanged or not

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

At least they gave you a fair price...kind of
..labor is still a rape but oh well....it's a stealership so keeping that in mind...you got yourself decent deal.

We have couple options and conclusions looking at your situation:
1) TC was already shot when u changed fluid
2) changing fluid does nothing to a faulty design
3) in contrast ...those TC that are still healthy ...for whatever reason...would remain healthy. .fluid. hanged or not

Yeah, doesn't seem terrible for price, but still sucks.

Is it possible that the fluid change accelerated the failure(leak)? Maybe the old "goo" was so thick, it couldn't leak out. Once I removed some of the old and added fresh(I wasn't able to get all the old out), the new fluid thinned out the old stuff remaining and the new mixture in the case found it's way past a seal(or through vent on top). If I was able to get all the old out, maybe it would have started leaking sooner. Who knows.

I doubt it....if that was the case and if that was the reason for failure....it would have failed long time ago on original oil

Hello, all - Brand new to this forum. I just purchased a 2009 Cx-9 awd Touring. I figured I would post on this popular thread. My car had 125k when I bought it about 2 months ago. i purchased it with a 6 month powertrain protection plan.
I've noticed a thump around 43 mph in 6th gear. It was even harder today than before. I am getting a bit paranoid with all of the transfer case/ xmission issues. Any suggestions?

Hello, all - Brand new to this forum. I just purchased a 2009 Cx-9 awd Touring. I figured I would post on this popular thread. My car had 125k when I bought it about 2 months ago. i purchased it with a 6 month powertrain protection plan.
I've noticed a thump around 43 mph in 6th gear. It was even harder today than before. I am getting a bit paranoid with all of the transfer case/ xmission issues. Any suggestions?

Welcome, for starters, the easiest thing to do is to check the transfer case plug first and look at the condition of the transfer case oil, you can do this yourself very easily, and change the oil if you see sludge, follow the instructions here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-%28photos%29

Thanks - Avidien did a great job. I will probably just change it when I have a weekend with more time. Other than that, I love the vehicle. I installed the 4000 lb hitch from Curt as well as
the wiring kit and it pulled a 5x8' trailer very nice. The wife, 3 kids and I outgrew the '98 maxima fast.
20150503_125136.jpg.html
20151101_095729.jpg.html
20151128_153621.jpg.html

Yes, that is a gun rack :p

Just purchased a 2015 cx9 awd,
Is the transfer case any different than previous yrs?
If not anyone have any good info on tapping a drain hole into the unit, with pictures.

Just purchased a 2015 cx9 awd,
Is the transfer case any different than previous yrs?
If not anyone have any good info on tapping a drain hole into the unit, with pictures.

It's no different.

I'm creating a thread right now of the procedure for adding a drain plug, copied from the Ford Edge forum (same transfer case as our CX-9s)

Hi all..just joined the forum
I have a 2007 CX-9 with around 250,000kms on it. Every works great and love the car! Have had it for two years.
Last spring my 4wd light came on and stayed on (wasn't slick conditions)
I took it to Mazda (on another recall). Diagnostics said solenoid in either rear dif or transfer case (can't recall)...$8K for new, $2500 for reconditioned?????
Took it to a tranny shop. They said a wire was broken going into the transf case/ reear dif...could see it clearly hanging there.
Wanted $700 to pull it down and repair if there was enough wire to fix on the unit (couldn't tell). Failing that, $2500 for reconditioned.
My problem is, the CX-9 has been running great without the 4wd. Had an issue trying to get out of a cottage driveway where 4wd would have helped but not other issues.
I welcome any thoughts
(also..unrelated by my oil light comes on when I first drive on cold mornings...thinking its a sensor...thoughts?)

Hi all..just joined the forum
I have a 2007 CX-9 with around 250,000kms on it. Every works great and love the car! Have had it for two years.
Last spring my 4wd light came on and stayed on (wasn't slick conditions)
I took it to Mazda (on another recall). Diagnostics said solenoid in either rear dif or transfer case (can't recall)...$8K for new, $2500 for reconditioned?????
Took it to a tranny shop. They said a wire was broken going into the transf case/ reear dif...could see it clearly hanging there.
Wanted $700 to pull it down and repair if there was enough wire to fix on the unit (couldn't tell). Failing that, $2500 for reconditioned.
My problem is, the CX-9 has been running great without the 4wd. Had an issue trying to get out of a cottage driveway where 4wd would have helped but not other issues.
I welcome any thoughts
(also..unrelated by my oil light comes on when I first drive on cold mornings...thinking its a sensor...thoughts?)

hey i am sorry i am this late but in case you are still looking for an answer, here is a thread i made with this exact problem

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123837496-rear-diff-problem-solved&highlight=

2010 CX9 here. Found the black drips of sludge in my garage the other day. Just passed 60,000 KM.

Mazda Canada has a warranty extension on this issue. Good for 7 years or 140,000KM whichever comes first. Fortunately I'm still within this but does anyone know if they're replacing this with the same crap part? Is changing the oil yourself regularily the best way to avoid this from blowing up the replacement unit?

2010 CX9 here. Found the black drips of sludge in my garage the other day. Just passed 60,000 KM.

Mazda Canada has a warranty extension on this issue. Good for 7 years or 140,000KM whichever comes first. Fortunately I'm still within this but does anyone know if they're replacing this with the same crap part? Is changing the oil yourself regularily the best way to avoid this from blowing up the replacement unit?

It's been confirmed the replacement transfer case is basically the same that came with the car, same low oil capacity and no drain plug, it's best to change the transfer case oil regularly otherwise it'll fail again and without warranty, looking at a cost of $1500 USD or $3000+ if the transmission splines get ruined......

between this, the water pump, the brake booster, control arm, wheel bearings, etc, I'm going to unload my '13 CX-9 before the headaches start to add up...honestly the bones of the '07-'15 CX-9 are Ford components, everything has FOMOCO stamped on it.

Last edited:
Back