Trans Swap. Speed sensor issue

Tap46

:
03 P5
2003 P5 2.0 MT 170k miles.

The transmission has just been swapped out for a used one because one of the shaft bearing failed and damaged the gears and case beyond repair.

The new transmission was apparently out of a 83k miles 2003 Mazda Protege with 2.0engine. It is possible that it was from a standard protege and not a "5".

The 2 sensors in teh transmission had different plugs on them, so we simply swapped the sensors over from damaged box to the used box. Everything worked and the
car drives and shifts fine with the used box in place.

the problem is that now, the speedo does not read at all.

Does anyone know if the speed trigger wheels are different in these boxes? Could the sensors be incompatible? The case of the 2 transmissions was identical obviously as it went in with no problems.

anyone have any insight for me?

Thanks,

Todd

Have you pulled the speed sensor on the used trans? The used trans might have a dummy plug. The newer proteges use the ABS sensors as the speed sensor. The old protege's used a gear on the diff, mazda switched to the abs speed sensor due to the plastic gear on the diff stripping.

we pulled the sensor out of the broken stock transmission, and installed it into the "new" used transmission. The connector plug on the wiring for the sensor in the used transmission was different and didn't plug into the wiring harness.

Pull the speed sensor off the trans and look in the trans with a mirror the speedo ring on the diff is bright pink. If the trans doesn't have one theirs your problem unfortunately.

yeah, ABS equipped proteges with the G series boxes did not have that plastic ring pressed on the diff iirc. Had this exact problem when i sourced a used box to go with a built engine, so i had 2 engines and 2 gear boxes, which could remain mounted on each other for quick swapping. I unfortunately had bought a used box from an ABS equipped p5, and was putting it in mine without ABS...

unfortunately there is no easy way around this...the easiest would be to source another used box from a non-abs car...other than that you're stuck either doing an ABS conversion (read: lol)...or ripping the box apart and pressing that $10 ring onto your current diff...next to zero money in parts, and a s*** ton of labor...sorry, bud.

Back