Traffic Sign Recognition for 2016/17 models?

:
2017 CX9 GT AWD
I have a 2017 CX-9 GT. It does not have the package that has the radar cruise control/lane assist part of it, as Canadian models made that an option.

Anyway, is there a way to get the traffic sign recognition to show up in the active driving display for 2016/17 models?

I have a 2017 CX-9 GT. It does not have the package that has the radar cruise control/lane assist part of it, as Canadian models made that an option.

Anyway, is there a way to get the traffic sign recognition to show up in the active driving display for 2016/17 models?

Hm, my car wasn't sold with different packages available. i-Activsense was automatically included on all trims except for the base trim (GS-L, GT and Signature).

Regarding TSR, I found this on a blog post published by a Mazda dealership in NJ:

"Traffic signs are detected and read using the car's Forward Sensing Camera. This information can also be pulled from the navigation system if it is stored there."

Do you have Navigation? If you do, and you can't enable TSR, then it probably needs to have the Forward Sensing Camera installed. If you don't have the camera, you might be out of luck.

Hm, my car wasn't sold with different packages available. i-Activsense was automatically included on all trims except for the base trim (GS-L, GT and Signature).

For the 2016/17 models, there was a separate Tech Package available for the GT. It was all standard in the US GT. It might have changed in 2018. Read this: https://www.autotrader.ca/research/mazda/cx-9/2016/

Regarding TSR, I found this on a blog post published by a Mazda dealership in NJ:

"Traffic signs are detected and read using the car's Forward Sensing Camera. This information can also be pulled from the navigation system if it is stored there."

Do you have Navigation? If you do, and you can't enable TSR, then it probably needs to have the Forward Sensing Camera installed. If you don't have the camera, you might be out of luck.

I have navigation, so I was hoping it would pull the information from the navigation system. However, it does have Smart City Brake. Does SCB not use the Forward Sensing Camera?

From the brochures i saw. TSR was not available on 2017 model, regardless of the options and model chosen. It was an update to the 2018 model, even then it was only available on GT and signature model, regardless if the i-activ package was selected on lower model. (The i-activ package did not add the TSR functionality)

I dont know if there are any way to retrofit an older model. It does use the forward camera, but i dont know if the rest is all software or if it also has other processing hardware, that would need to be added.

Last edited:
Did a little bit more research. Some people on that forum linked below have been successful to activate TSR on their own on their Mazda 3 by changing configuration codes. (Look at post 4420 at the end of the page). So if you have the right hardware already installed it might be possible on the CX-9 as well. I wish i could offer more help but thats the extent of my knowledge on the subject, ( unfortunately i didnt have the time to read through the 222 pages of post.)

If you find out how to do it please make a how to post i am sure a lot of people would be interested in that mod/hack.

https://www.mazda3revolution.com/th...e-different-functions-asbuilt.169393/page-221

Edit: the application they are using is Forscan.

Edit edit: here is a good video that shows how to use Forscan (on a F150). The list of codes he uses in an excel table to the right of his screen is specific to the f-150. Someone made a similar table for the mazda 3 in the forum linked above. The mazda 3 codes may or may not work with the CX-9, and i dont know if a CX-9 specific table has been made before. Always save your original AS Built config somewhere before you start in case you mess up. https://youtu.be/IhhF7iNAEAg

Last edited:
Thanks youri -- good info. However, even if I figured out how to use Forscan for the CX-9, it wouldn't work in my situation for turning on the TSR. TSR uses the Forward Sensing Camera and my CX-9 doesn't have that installed.

For the 2016/17 models, there was a separate Tech Package available for the GT. It was all standard in the US GT. It might have changed in 2018. Read this: https://www.autotrader.ca/research/mazda/cx-9/2016/

I have navigation, so I was hoping it would pull the information from the navigation system. However, it does have Smart City Brake. Does SCB not use the Forward Sensing Camera?

Interesting. My 2016 GT has those features (smart brake, etc) but I didn't think it had the camera. Maybe it does. :)

I have navigation and it definitely pulls the speed from that. My last nav update messed up the speed limits on my commute to work. They're wrong now, and since my update "subscription" has expired I'm stuck with it. :(

Back