Traded in my MY15 for an MY16 and ended up with a grand in my pocket...

Ulrich

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
I do not recommend following my example.

image12.jpeg

Anyway, to make a short story even shorter, I was driving along minding my own business when an SUV in the lane next to me was about to hit a Mustang who in turn tried to avoid getting hit and swerved in my lane just as a was driving by. Mustang made contact on rear passenger side, may have hit the tire as the axle disintegrated (yes, that's what it is sticking up in the picture) and sends me spinning clockwise; as I am perpendicular to the lane gravity takes over and the car rolls, ending up on the roof and sliding along the concrete for a few more yards. Side airbags deployed, front one did not. I was hanging upside down in my seatbelt, couldn't initially open it up, but eventually managed to crawl out of the passenger side door. Driver side does not look too banged up, but that door would not open.

The cops seemed to think I rolled the car twice, but I have no recollection of that. I do remember smelling the sparks as I was sliding along the concrete, kind of like when you hit flintstones against each other. My main concern at that point was fire, but that was thankfully not the case (tank did leak, but I think that started when they tried to pull the car on the tow truck. 16 gallons gone to waste; I had just filled up the car the day before...). I collected my belongings along a 50-yard stretch on both sides of 610; they got ejected from the rear window when I rolled.

Naturally the car that started it all had the least damage; both the Mustang and my car were totalled. Well, the Mazda did what it was supposed to do in a situation like that. It even tried to call 911 for me (except I had switched off Bluetooth on my phone). Some Bruising on my left arm and shoulder and somehow I banged up or twisted my left knee, but other than for a few minor cuts on my hands I walked away to live the tale...

Anyway, got the same car/configuration as before just a model year younger. Could not replicate the deal I got last year, but the dealer took my Total Loss letter from my insurance company as a paper trade so I only paid $50 sales tax on the car while the insurance company gave me what I paid originally, plus full sales tax. So I am still a grand ahead which will help with replacing some personal property that was damaged in the accident and which I most likely will not see a dime for since the SUV driver was severely underinsured.

The sales guy I dealt with is using my accident picture as his screensaver at work. :)

Whooaa!

Glad you're safe! Looks like the roof held up very well.

Yikes!
SO GLAD you are ok!
These CX-5 models seem to hold up quite well in NASTY situations!

Now...My salesman alluded to this calling 911 in case of an accident, but I could not find anything about that in the manual!
Any information would be appreciated!
TIA...

Last edited:
Meet the new car, same as the old car:

IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

Some observations:

* Thank god I got rid of that annoying nav/entertainment system in the MY15 (again, I do not recommend doing it my way). USB playback starts up pretty much right away; most of the time it actually remembers what the last song was I played, and subjectively it seems that the sound quality in the new car is better than in the old one, too. Not sure why that is, and maybe I am just hallucinating, but I'll take it.
* Having said that, the new nav/entertainment unit is not perfect, either. Just today I tried programming some radio stations as favorites into the unit and managed to crash it three times; and every time the stations I had just saved were gone. Not sure what causes it, but there seems to be a software issue that Mazda should address.
* The engine seems stronger than in my old car. It's just the old butt dyno telling me this, so it's not scientific, but the car seems to accelerate faster and it also sounds a little more aggressive. I did not think they made any changes to the engine, so again, maybe I am just hallucinating or I got a dud when I bough the MY15.
* I got the Katzkin seat upgrade again, but I am not as happy this time around as I was last time. The color match seems off by a shade to me, which is noticeable when I hold the Japanese low-profile headrests I got in the back (left-over from the MY15) against the door panels. Katzkin says their color match for "Sand" is "Puddy", but after looking at their sample sheet I think that "Dune" would be a better match (to me, "Dune" has the greenish tinge that "Sand" has while "Puddy" is more brownish). Well, I guess you only notice it when you look for it, so I left good-enough alone...
* Speaking of leather seats, I was actually surprised that the car came with the "Sand" interior. I had been looking at the 2016 GTs and was expecting that all 2016 interiors were changed to "Parchment". Well, I guess at least this way I can use my back headrests without having to re-cover them... For those contemplating a similar upgrade and who want the white-ish look, check out the "Alabaster" color that Katzkin offered. I was very tempted to go that route...
* USB ports in the car are powered and can be used to charge your phone! Nice surprise, I was not expecting that. :)

Congrats...
NICE!

BTW...I really like those low profile rear headrests!
I do not use my rear seats, so I have removed the Stock headrests for visibility...

Last edited:
"Traded in my MY15 for an MY16 and ended up with a grand in my pocket..." Wow! That gets my vote for strangest use of the term "trade" on record!

Yikes!
SO GLAD you are ok!
These CX-5 models seem to hold up quite well in NASTY situations!

Now...My salesman alluded to this calling 911 in case of an accident, but I could not find anything about that in the manual!
Any information would be appreciated!
TIA...

The insurance guy that was looking at the car said that the industry made some significant strides in the design of the passenger compartment over the last five years or so. I had a 2001 RAV4 before; I am pretty sure the same accident would have had a sightly different outcome if I had driven that car.

In order for the 911 feature to work you need to pair your phone with the car via Bluetooth. And then there is an option in the vehicle setup where you tell it to make emergency calls. I just saw that the other day when I started programming the system of the 2016 car, but I can't tell you where exactly it would be hidden in the options of the 2015 model...

Hmmm...
Will be worth while top hunt around for it!
People here are NUTSO! (we are Californicated) Sorry, no offense intended to those from CA...but...

Glad you're safe! Looks like the roof held up very well.

It did. From the inside you could hardly tell that the car was in an accident if it wasn't for the deployed side airbags and the glass inside the car...

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

The insurance guy that was looking at the car said that the industry made some significant strides in the design of the passenger compartment over the last five years or so. I had a 2001 RAV4 before; I am pretty sure the same accident would have had a sightly different outcome if I had driven that car.

In order for the 911 feature to work you need to pair your phone with the car via Bluetooth. And then there is an option in the vehicle setup where you tell it to make emergency calls. I just saw that the other day when I started programming the system of the 2016 car, but I can't tell you where exactly it would be hidden in the options of the 2015 model...

Pretty Cool...
Was easy to find...it is simply under setup on the BT menu!
My dealer had already set it to on :)

Oh, also a pleasant surprise: it looks like the navigation systems in the new cars get map updates for three years instead of the six months I had on the old car?

Welll...

Oh, also a pleasant surprise: it looks like the navigation systems in the new cars get map updates for three years instead of the six months I had on the old car?

I guess that means ..Free!
Now all we all need is CURRENT maps for all of these built in Nav units!

I still take my portable Garmin with me if going anywhere "different".
Free lifetime maps
Like for about $130! NOT the $500+ for built ins!

Addition:
After looking at your interior (crashed), I find it amazing that there was so little damage to the interior roof...Especially since there is the sunroof to contend with...Always feared that aspect in my own auto!

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are ok!!! That looks frightening..

Good to see the CX protecting it's occupants like it does.

You wrote 16 gallons.
The CX-5 has a 14.5 gallon fuel tank.
Looks like the 2016 has larger tank too.
14.8 (FWD) / 15.3 (AWD)

Last edited:
You wrote 16 gallons.
The CX-5 has a 14.5 gallon fuel tank.
Looks like the 2016 has larger tank too.

Nah, I was riding on fumes when I filled up the day before and literally squeezed 16 gallons into the car. There's always room for some extra. ;)

Glad you are safe and able to talk about it.

On another note, there is a software update available for the 2016 nav unit. Looks like they are at dealer lots with version 51, but 55 is available. See this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123848844-2016-infotainment-random-crash-hard-reset

Thanks for letting me know. I just checked and I have version 51, so I guess another trip to the dealer is in order. Odd that they wouldn't let you download/update the system software yourself...

Howdy Ulrich,

Thanks Goodness your safe and sound, I'd say the CX5 certainly
protected you wonderfully. I am kind of curious why the front didn't
deploy? Because of the impact position?

Also, Thanks for the details on the upgrade features.

Take Care,

CK

Thanks for letting me know. I just checked and I have version 51, so I guess another trip to the dealer is in order. Odd that they wouldn't let you download/update the system software yourself...

The map updates you can do on your own. In fact, I bet you have an update available. So long as you have driven over 63 miles with the SD card in the system, you can register online and download the software. I can tell you we picked up our car two weeks ago and it had a March 2016 production date and I had a map update available.

Howdy Ulrich,

Thanks Goodness your safe and sound, I'd say the CX5 certainly
protected you wonderfully. I am kind of curious why the front didn't
deploy? Because of the impact position?

Also, Thanks for the details on the upgrade features.

Take Care,

CK

The fronts don't deploy in a side impact. The manual has a whole section on when the bags will and will not deploy.

Latest posts

Back