Trade-Up? 2021 CX-5 or 2023 CX-5 (or CX-50)?

:
2021 CX-5T AWD CE
It seems a patently unfair way to tax. One should be able to deduct the private sale proceeds, if dealers get to benefit from customers not getting taxed on trade-in.

The dealer lobbying groups keep this tax advantage in place at tremendous lobbying expense. Effectively, it is a conduit of money from car buyers to politician election campaigns.

It’s been constitutionally challenged in a few state courts and I recall one that got the law changed to allow car buyers to deduct sales tax from a private sale as long as it was done within a set period (like 90 days). Maybe LA.

- Mark

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
The S&P 500 was down something like 40% at one point last year. We happen to have been in a bull market, but you can't count on that.
It's impossible to know what the next five years will bring. I mean, who could have predicted this pandemic, and who thought it would still be a problem over a year later?
I remember my retirement savings accounts taking a massive hit back in the last downturn in 2008.
I never fully recovered from my losses.

I paid cash for my Mazda three and a half years ago, and have no regrets.
Even with the so called 0% financing option, the dealer wouldn't lower the price down to what I eventually paid in cash. I also got a few accessories added on for free, so the bottom line was a few grand less than a financed price.

Now, If I could just figure out what to do with my 2002 Pathfinder...lol.

Antoine

Administrator
Side note...Reminder here, let's stick to the specific topic at hand which is whether to go for the 2021 CX-5 or wait for the 2023 CX-5 redesign (or CX-50)...Or just keep the current vehicles...

Hey guys,

Need some thoughts and opinions here. I currently have a 2019 GTR (love it), and my wife has a 17' Subaru Legacy. I would like to upgrade her car, and she also really likes my CX-5. So, I am really debating if I should get her a 2021 Sig, or wait it out for the 2023 redesign? Anyone else on the fence like me? I like the rumors I am hearing about the 2023 model, so I'm hesitant to pull the plug on a 2021. However, that infotainment center would be a nice upgrade :)

Thanks all!

Thanks!

:
2021 CX-9 Sig
:
2014 CX-5 GT
Side note...Reminder here, let's stick to the specific topic at hand which is whether to go for the 2021 CX-5 or wait for the 2023 CX-5 redesign (or CX-50)...Or just keep the current vehicles...

Thanks!
Sorry. To the OP, the current CX-5 has been refined over the last couple of years and is really complete and time tested. Whatever comes next will be new and unknown in many ways. Who knows when it will show up as well.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Well, since the OP already bought an RDX, maybe this thread is done?
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/farewell-mazda.123875365/#post-6725862

Yes, OP initially wanted opinions on trading in his wife's car ('17 Subaru Legacy) for a new 2021 or waiting out the redesign. Instead, he traded in his 2019 GT Reserve to get the RDX.

That said, in the other thread, he did say he was still hoping to convince his wife to upgrade from the Subaru to a new CX-5 sometime next year. Further relevant discussion on the topic may still prove useful if he revisits the original plan with his wife.

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT

Thanks!
Wow. We were discussing buying vehicles, trade ins, cash vs. financing, all of it relevant to the original opening post. It's not like we were off discussing the latest Mars rover or current diet fads.
As long as the discussions are meaningful and civilized, I don't see the need for the interference, (which has happened more than once on this site).
Cheers for now.

Antoine

Administrator
Wow. We were discussing buying vehicles, trade ins, cash vs. financing, all of it relevant to the original opening post. It's not like we were off discussing the latest Mars rover or current diet fads.
As long as the discussions are meaningful and civilized, I don't see the need for the interference, (which has happened more than once on this site).
Cheers for now.
The thread was starting to become a discussion on financing and the mechanics of purchasing etc not to mention the stock market...All that is fine as along as that is the topic. I'm providing a friendly reminder to keep threads on topic as much as possible so that they remain as useful as possible for OPs and anyone else with the same topics/questions in mind. Please keep that in mind from now on, thanks.

You can PM me if you have further thoughts on the above matter.

Now let's get back to the topic which @sm1ke recently clarified...
That said, in the other thread, he did say he was still hoping to convince his wife to upgrade from the Subaru to a new CX-5 sometime next year. Further relevant discussion on the topic may still prove useful if he revisits the original plan with his wife.
Thanks!

Wow. We were discussing buying vehicles, trade ins, cash vs. financing, all of it relevant to the original opening post. As long as the discussions are meaningful and civilized, I don't see the need for the interference, (which has happened more than once on this site).
Cheers for now.
+1000

I was banned for having a robust discussion in another thread.
Supposedly I was "Trolling, Derailing Threads as well as Being Hateful, Negative, Abusive, Threatening, Insulting."

You definitely need to tread lightly around here.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
+1000

I was banned for having a robust discussion in another thread.
Supposedly I was "Trolling, Derailing Threads as well as Being Hateful, Negative, Abusive, Threatening, Insulting."

You definitely need to tread lightly around here.

You were temporarily banned for ignoring multiple moderator requests and warnings. This was all explained to you in the posts and conversation messages that led up to your ban, some of which have since been deleted/archived because you were indeed trolling and it was cluttering up the thread.

As explained before, you continued to force your opinion on another user when it was clear that neither of you were going to come to an agreement. Instead of agreeing to disagree, you continued to assert that your opinion is "right", which does nothing but attempt to provoke a reaction (which is defined as trolling in the Rules, Terms and Guidelines that you accepted when you signed up for this forum).

Again, back to the topic at hand please.

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
I would probably get the 2021 model. They might have good deals so they sell most of them before the new model comes out, assuming that most people will want the latest and greatest model once they are on the lots.

#2, I realized how easy it is to sell a car privately after selling mine and then my nieces. Make sure to get cash or a money order, no personal check, before signing the title, and then un-register the car at motor vehicles so you don't get tickets if the new owner never registers it.
#3, most likely one would use cash from their bank account to make the purchase and the money currently gets 0 percent interest in the bank. I wouldn't take money out of a SM fund that has a positive return, to buy a car that has a negative return.

:
2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black
The thread was starting to become a discussion on financing and the mechanics of purchasing etc not to mention the stock market...All that is fine as along as that is the topic. I'm providing a friendly reminder to keep threads on topic as much as possible so that they remain as useful as possible for OPs and anyone else with the same topics/questions in mind. Please keep that in mind from now on, thanks.

You can PM me if you have further thoughts on the above matter.

Now let's get back to the topic which @sm1ke recently clarified...

Thanks!
I don't envy the thankless task of being a moderator, but I think discussion of financial strategy and wisdom in car buying is germane to this thread topic. It speaks to the downside of trading cars after 2 years or 4 vs. hanging onto the original - the options the OP was considering.

From the tone of the original post, my advice is: do what makes you happy - which seems to be turnover. His values when it comes to car buying are probably very different from mine - but he asked.

Okay, also back to original post. It's "pull the trigger" on the 2021 not "pull the plug". More aptly he'd be pulling the plug on his 2019.

HardRightEdg

US 2020 CX-5 Touring AWD Soul Red
Personally, if I waited for the 2023 generation then I'd wait for the 2025 model year. I'd never buy a car in the first two years of a new generation. This is not a slam on Mazda--it a general principle. I prefer other buyers to be the beta testers, working out the bugs for a couple of years.

Actually, if the styling of the 2023 is noticeably different, closeout deals on the 2022 should be pretty sweet assuming there are enough microchips, and thereby auto production, to go around by then then.

Last edited:
:
2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black
Personally, if I waited for the 2023 generation then I'd wait for the 2025 model year. I'd never buy a car in the first two years of a new generation. This is not a slam on Mazda--it a general principle. I prefer other buyers to be the beta testers, working out the bugs for a couple of years.

Actually, if the styling of the 2023 is noticeably different, closeout deals on the 2022 should be pretty sweet assuming there are enough microchips, and thereby auto production, to go around by then then.
2017 seems to be aging well

Latest posts