TPMS light on my CX5 2019

:
2019 CX5 GT-R
Hello All
I did a winter tire Sawp from Costco 2 days back and since then the TPMS light is on. I read the manual and it says the lights would go off after a 10 km ride.
But in my case it still stays on. Where is the TPMS sensor located ? Is it that the winter tire/rim doesnt have one ?
Please advice.

Hello All
I did a winter tire Sawp from Costco 2 days back and since then the TPMS light is on. I read the manual and it says the lights would go off after a 10 km ride.
But in my case it still stays on. Where is the TPMS sensor located ? Is it that the winter tire/rim doesnt have one ?
Please advice.

What got swapped at Costco? Just the tires? Or the wheels also?

Unless they added them in 2019, it doesn't have individual TPMS sensors.
It monitors the rotation of each tire, and if it notices a change, the light will come on.
When you swap out the tires and rims, you need to reset the TPMS system.
Your winter tires are more than likely slightly different in circumference, so the rotation speed will be slightly different.
This is what triggers the warning light.
Look in your manual to see how you do a reset.
I have the same issue when I swap my winter/summer tires. It's no big deal.
(In my 2107 6, all I do is hold the tire monitor switch in for about 6 seconds, and voila, it's reset.)
Easy peasy.

Unless they added them in 2019, it doesn't have individual TPMS sensors.
It monitors the rotation of each tire, and if it notices a change, the light will come on.
When you swap out the tires and rims, you need to reset the TPMS system.
Your winter tires are more than likely slightly different in circumference, so the rotation speed will be slightly different.
This is what triggers the warning light.
Look in your manual to see how you do a reset.
I have the same issue when I swap my winter/summer tires. It's no big deal.
(In my 2107 6, all I do is hold the tire monitor switch in for about 6 seconds, and voila, it's reset.)
Easy peasy.

This changed when the all new 2017 CX-5 was released, they are back to using individual valve stem based sensors.

OK, that's good to know. Sorry for the bad advice then.
If there are indeed individual sensors in each wheel, then the OP needs to source them and install them in his winter rims.
I doubt very much if Costco did this.
I suspect that he doesn't have the sensors in his steel rims.

OK, that's good to know. Sorry for the bad advice then.
If there are indeed individual sensors in each wheel, then the OP needs to source them and install them in his winter rims.
I doubt very much if Costco did this.
I suspect that he doesn't have the sensors in his steel rims.

I think the Mazda6 is only one still using the sensorless/revolution based system at the moment?

Hello All
Please advice.

If you don't have a TPMS Reset button on the dash, you have a "direct" TPMS system which has individual sensors in each tire. Did you buy a second set of TPMS sensors for the winter tires? If not, you'd need to buy a set and get them installed. Since the winter tires have already been installed, you'll probably have to pay to have the tires unmounted, TPMS installed, and tires remounted, as well as get the tires re-balanced (to account for the weight of the sensors).

Hello All
Thanks for your advise. Now i got the clarity. I don't have a TPMS in my winter tire Rims. Winter tires are on 17inch rims as against the all season 19 inch rims.
Is it okay to leave the TPMS signal on and drive for the winter? I checked all the 4 tires and they are perfect 36psi.
Kindly advise

Hello All
Thanks for your advise. Now i got the clarity. I don't have a TPMS in my winter tire Rims. Winter tires are on 17inch rims as against the all season 19 inch rims.
Is it okay to leave the TPMS signal on and drive for the winter? I checked all the 4 tires and they are perfect 36psi.
Kindly advise

Perfectly fine to leave it on. Just make it a habit to check your tires before every drive, and if you have one, keep a portable air compressor in the trunk (just in case).

Hello All
Kindly advise

Drove all last winter on my steelies/winters without TMPS. I don't even notice the warning light on the dash cluster, especially since you rarely have to look down if you have the HUD.

I read in the other Mazda forum that the Tpms light shuts off after a few days by itself. Is that true?

The TPMS light on my CX-9 didn't even turn on when I swapped my OEM wheels out for new summer wheels (bought a second set of sensors for the summer wheels).

I installed snow tires without sensors about 3 weeks ago. The light stays on. It flashes for about 30 seconds when the vehicle is first started then stays on until the vehicle is shut down. The orange icon is barely noticeable. The light will go out when I re-stall my summer tires which have sensors.

Wade

I re ad somewhere that for some vehicles, you cant disable the traction control if the TPMs light is on.

I couldnt confirm this so I got winter wheels with sensors to be safe.

Back