TPMS for Winter Tires

I had aftermarket sensors previously installed by Mazda 5 years ago on my winter rims for my previous 2014 CX-5

Really? Our 2014 does not have TPMS sensors. The TPMS mechanism works by detecting differences in rotational speed between the wheels.

Maybe your dealer (or whoever) sold you something you didn't need - or sold you something they didn't install?

Really? Our 2014 does not have TPMS sensors. The TPMS mechanism works by detecting differences in rotational speed between the wheels.

Maybe your dealer (or whoever) sold you something you didn't need - or sold you something they didn't install?
Or sold him something he may need in the future? ;)

Yes, gen-1 CX-5 uses a different TPMS system which doesn’t need tire pressure sensor embedded with valve stems.

When I bought separate 17" rims for my winter tires on my first CX-5 it didn't come with TPMS sensors so I asked my Mazda dealer what they were recommending. They suggested an aftermarket set that they preferred instead of oem, as the stems were plastic and not metal. Apparently the oem Mazda TPMS sensor stems were made of metal and they have had issues with corrosion on the stems. While I know I could have opted out of installing sensors I definitely wanted them for the peace of mind of knowing when my air pressure might be dropping, for whatever reason. If you choose to do a walk around and use your tire pressure gauge every day that's your choice but TPMS sensors serve a purpose which I have come to really appreciate on my 2018 CX-5 GT, as I did on my 2014 GT.

Maybe it was only the GT model of the Gen I CX-5 which had the TPMS reset button on the dash.

As stated above, there was absolutely no TPMS system on any GEN 1 CX-5 that used a wheel mounted sensor. The sensors were stationary on the vehicle and worked by sensing a wheel speed that was different from the others. This would happen when a tire got low. Yes, we have a reset button on the dash because the old GEN 1 system needed to be manually reset when you corrected the low tire pressure problem. On-wheel sensors made their debut on GEN 2. So, if your dealer sold you on-wheel sensors for a GEN 1 CX-5, they took you for a ride.

for you folks with winter tires and these spendy TPMS sensors... maybe you do a solution like this:

to keep them safe :)

This practice is very common for vehicles that get tracked frequently (special rim/tire combo that TPMS doesn't work well with) or vehicles that are used off-road with low tire pressure often.

Last edited:
As stated above, there was absolutely no TPMS system on any GEN 1 CX-5 that used a wheel mounted sensor. The sensors were stationary on the vehicle and worked by sensing a wheel speed that was different from the others. This would happen when a tire got low. Yes, we have a reset button on the dash because the old GEN 1 system needed to be manually reset when you corrected the low tire pressure problem. On-wheel sensors made their debut on GEN 2. So, if your dealer sold you on-wheel sensors for a GEN 1 CX-5, they took you for a ride.

My bad, you are absolutely right. The TPMS on Gen 1 were not on the wheel. It wasn't until I upgraded to a 2018 Gen 2 that I added the TPMS sensors to my winter wheels, and happy that I did. Below are the ones my Mazda dealer are now carrying as opposed to the oem ones with metal
stems.

. autel sensor (2).jpg

Last edited:
Is there much difference between clamp-in and screw-in? I found the latter a bit cheaper on Walmart.

I asked my COSTCO tire rep about this. He said that he prefers the clamp in style with a plastic stem as they can be carefully removed and reused if necessary and don't corrode, but, they do carry the screw in metal style which are standard equipment and recommended on certain model of vehicles. The downside with the screw in kind, he says, is that the screw in metal stem has a teflon seal that , once broken by unscrewing the stem(for whatever reason) or receiving a hard knock and breaking the seal, is no longer useable and must be replaced. The sensor part inside the rim with the threaded part that sticks out through the hole in the rim can be reused. He also added that the other downside of some (older) metal screw in kinds is that the internal metal sensor part and external metal stem parts that screw together were/are made from different kinds of metals and were therefore more prone to corrosion, causing the Teflon seal to break and the tire to slowly deflate.

Last edited:
Back