2017~2024 Touchscreen lockout override in 2017+ CX-5

:
2019 CX-5 AWD
Anyone done this? It's a minor annoyance but I'd like to be able to use the touchscreen in addition to the center clickwheel.

Here's the thread on how to do it on the 2013-2016.5 model.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...able-touchscreen-while-in-motion-*not-a-hack*

I'd like to make this modification to my 2019. I may have to pay off a technician $10-20 on the side to make this mod! Obviously they changed the procedure to access that menu, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same option is still there. Checked all the downloadable FSMs and couldn't see anywhere to make the change. If anyone has any advice, I'm listening.

Mazda AIO tweaks can disable the touchscreen lockout. You will have to do connect directly via serial depending on your firmware.

Juice not worth the squeeze from what I can see so far:

cmu-rx-tx.jpg

Shame they eliminated the easy access debug menu, though I can understand why.
Still think there might be a way a technician can access the option in a software menu. Worth looking into.

No one is going to risk their job over a $20 tip. Do the hack. It's worth it.

Hey, you got to do yours through a screen... : )

There may be another way. There might be an anonymous, generous technician who could share the steps necessary to get into the secret menu mode.

No one is going to risk their job over a $20 tip. Do the hack. It's worth it.

I thought the same thing.

The contracts guy in me would worry about you getting in an accident because of inattentive driving and then it bites me in the butt.

I know the controls can be a bit much, but I wouldn't take the risk of undoing them for a stranger.

Maybe. However, what's Mazda going to do if someone on here posts the procedure? At most, change it for the next model. My expectation is that a very similar menu structure and setting is on the current CX, it may just require a different access procedure.

Maybe. However, what's Mazda going to do if someone on here posts the procedure? At most, change it for the next model. My expectation is that a very similar menu structure and setting is on the current CX, it may just require a different access procedure.

Since we're just chatting here:

I'm not talking about Mazda's lawyers. I'm talking about the lawyers of the family you rear-ended because you were driving with your eyes were on the touch screen that should not have been enabled unless you were at a complete stop. That screen might not have been the true causal issue...but that would not matter to the suing party.

Someone posting on these sites might have lesser exposure in being a party to it, but a technician in the profession would certainly have risk. Heck, I read of Mazda doing a software "update" that included removing the tach from CX-9 HUDs because it was "too distracting."

I'm just pointing out possible exposure in defeating a safety feature. Likely not an issue if you do it, or at all, really. But if I were a tech I wouldn't put my butt on the line.

Last edited:
That's quite a hypothetical. I wouldn't worry about that. No one is going to know the specifics of your firmware or internal settings of your infotainment screen, which is a touchscreen anyways. Can you imagine seeking that from another vehicle?

My last vehicle had a touchscreen with no lockout. It would just be nice to have the full functionality of the system. It's more of a curiosity or nice to have feature than a must have. I'll keep using the clickwheel and the steering wheel controls in the meantime.

Last edited:
Yeh, I shoulda been a lawyer.

The one that annoys me is the weather alert system. We had tornadoes pass through on Good Friday. I was on the road and the system thought it was OK for me to read one screen's worth of information saying there was a tornado alert in my county, but somehow it would have been crossing a safety line to let me read the next screen with specifics unless I pulled over...with tornadoes in the area!

Some of them are just stupid.

I did the mod two months after purchasing the vehicle. Taking apart the dash was the easy part but wiring the CMU took more time than expected. Overall, the entire process was about 2 hours. The software for Android auto isn't perfect but it's definitely superior to stock. In additional to install AA, I have touch screen while driving, removed the disclaimer, removed the safely back up warning and the delay lag when scrolling. I have FW 59.xxx something though, not FW 70+

The only time I use the touch screen is when I have to input an address into Google Maps.

Back