Tire Review: Continental True Contact

:
2016 CX-5, GT, AWD, Tech. Package
Driving with all season tyre on black ice! I am not sure if I would do that. Continental makes some real good winter tyres with sipes and that would be my preference. Better still is the studded winter tyre on black icy road.

If we lived in Sweden, we'd have studded tires as well. But we only get a couple of snow events a year in Portland.

:
CX-5 AWD, 2017
Studded tyres are the best in icy road conditions. They are great for acceleration, braking and cornering. They are not very much better than the soft rubber compound non studded winter tyres in mostly snow covered road condition. Here in Sweden we have a mix of cars, some with studded tyres and others with non studded nordic soft compound wintertyres, and that means even in moderate icy roads the studded tyres rough up the ice making it easier for the non studded winter tyre users. The studded tyres are more noisy and are not allowed in certain cities due to the particles that they create from the road surface that is considered health hazard.

Last edited:
:
CX-5 AWD, 2017
If we lived in Sweden, we'd have studded tires as well. But we only get a couple of snow events a year in Portland.

Point taken. Even in Sweden the northern areas (winter intense) use mostly studded tyres and the southern areas (near continental Europe) use mostly non studded winter tyres. The middle of Sweden (Stockholm level), has a mixed variety, some cars have studded tyres and some others have studless tyres. But winter tyres are compulsory during winter by law.