2017~2024 Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

The direct TPMS sensors have a battery life of roughly 10-12 years our so and then they will need to be replaced. When you replace tires, good tire shops will have a rebuild kit that will replace the valve core, rubber washer and retaining nut on the valve stem of the sensors. You don't replace the entire assembly with each tire change. Cost is $10-15 dollars per wheel depending on the shop. Normal rubber valve stems will be around $2-5 dollars apiece installed, so you are correct in that it will cost a little more with each tire change. Maybe $30 more total.
You may be able to get by it with rebuild kit at first set of new tires. Then you still need to replace these expensive tire pressure sensors for your 2nd set or 3rd set of tires if you plan to keep your CX-5 long.

Too bad about mazda's new TMPS method ...
had it been the OLD method I could order a set of wheels and tires from tire rack
and just put it ON ...

now its much more hassle since TMPS sensors have to transferred over ...

I guess be rollin STOCK wheels ...

Usually the only reason to pull them would be to replace the battery.

Well, often when you replace wheels, the sensors get "damaged" and have to be replaced. This never happens when you get tires from the dealers but rather only from other shops. Go figure. On our Odyssey, this results in all dash warning lights going off and yes, they are $115 each.

And I have never had a need to reset my TPMS after I adjusted tire pressure due to seasonal change and after the tire rotation.

Why is that? The owner's manual says you're supposed to hit the reset button any time tire pressure is adjusted and/or tires are rotated.

Why is that? The owner's manual says you're supposed to hit the reset button any time tire pressure is adjusted and/or tires are rotated.
Whoops! Good catch there PatrickGSR94!

Yes yrwei52, I think you just answered your own question on why they went away from this system. It appears that unless you RESET the TPMS with every tire pressure inflation or tire rotation, the system will not work as intended, or create false lights. So they must have gone back to the hardware based "DIRECT" system in order to keep the users safe, and take some of the thought process out of it.

Whoops! Good catch there PatrickGSR94!

Yes yrwei52, I think you just answered your own question on why they went away from this system. It appears that unless you RESET the TPMS with every tire pressure inflation or tire rotation, the system will not work as intended, or create false lights. So they must have gone back to the hardware based "DIRECT" system in order to keep the users safe, and take some of the thought process out of it.

I personally prefer the system on our 2014 without wheel sensors. My parents' 2007 Camry has wheel sensors, and one or more of them have gone out, causing a constant warning light on the dashboard. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.

I personally prefer the system on our 2014 without wheel sensors. My parents' 2007 Camry has wheel sensors, and one or more of them have gone out, causing a constant warning light on the dashboard. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.

I've read somewhere that one of the most common service complaints stems from TPMS sensors. But if people don't read the manual (most don't) and reset the indirect system when they should, they'll have a service complaint anyway.

I guess it really does not make sense to have individual valve sensors if you don't get a reading individually. I don't know yet with OEM sensors but my aftermarket sensors also shows tire temperature.

My short story on why I value TPMS:

Last 2013 I already planned on buying a set for my vehicle. Orange brand sells for $149 at Amazon and I kinda find it "expensive" and that I can live without it. A few months later I accidentally drove my vehicle on a flat tire for 2-3 kilometers (I don't have the habit of checking the tires whenever I drive) so I had to replace a 1 year old tire that cost me almost $100. That made me decide that I should get a set. I can say that it's worth it because I get to check in real time the tire pressure and gives me warning on low pressure. I don't have to visually check the tires on a cycle and I also don't have to drop by the air station on gas stations just to check on the pressure.

With regards to the temperature reading, last month I had my brakes cleaned. I don't know what the mechanic did but suddenly while cruising along the highway, I noticed that a tire was heating up to more that 65 degrees C. I stopped the car and noticed that the rims are heating up. The self adjusting system of the rear brakes must have gone bad. I drove slowly and pulled over a gas station to have the brakes adjusted. I would have drove more than 15 kilometers of city driving if I did not notice the heating tire which could have done more damage to the brakes.

My only experience with a blowout was on my new 98' Integra, and I would not have been helped by a TPMS, as it was caused by a drum brake bar puncturing and entering the tire at freeway speeds.

It was one of these
mxbrry23a_brake_shoes_96_Yukon.jpg

Was that drum brake piece like road debris? Because all Integras 94-up have 4-wheel disc brakes.

I've read the owner's manual and that's why I mentioned both situations when the old TPMS is supposed to get reset. I didn't do it and my TPMS doesn't complain. As long as the TPMS warning light isn't on, I could care less to reset the TPMS and I assume the system is working properly. :)

I guess it really does not make sense to have individual valve sensors if you don't get a reading individually. I don't know yet with OEM sensors but my aftermarket sensors also shows tire temperature.
I agree and this's my point all along. If Mazda has decided to go more expensive route of direct-read TPMS with tire pressure sensors, why don't you display the tire pressures? And even better, might as well just include temperature sensors and display both informations in instrument cluster. It'd be a unique and very useful safety feature from factory by Mazda!

⋯ A few months later I accidentally drove my vehicle on a flat tire for 2-3 kilometers
The air from a tubeless tire with a nail normally takes several days to leak out completely. From my experience you can feel the "softness" of a leaking tire especially at a higher speed when the tire pressure dropped below 20 psi. That's how I found out the nailed tire for the last several flats on my vehicles without TPMS. I still can drive to Discount Tire safely without tire damage to get my free flat repair and balancing.

I blew a rear tire in my Mazda3 on the highway and the car really didn't drive much differently up to the moment it blew. I had tires with stiffer sidewalls and driving straight on the highway I couldn't tell there was a "soft" tire. TPMS would have been nice.
I can feel it better on front tires or if I had softer sidewalls.

I blew a rear tire in my Mazda3 on the highway and the car really didn't drive much differently up to the moment it blew. I had tires with stiffer sidewalls and driving straight on the highway I couldn't tell there was a "soft" tire. TPMS would have been nice.
It's hard to tell why your tire was blown and Mazda's TPMS may not be able to give you a warning if the pressures on all 4 tires are similar. As an example from another thread a 2017 CX-5 owner who was driving his CX-5 for 4 months / 2,000 miles with 45 psi in all of his tires without any warnings from TPMS. Had he have a Touring or Sport with 17" tires which have 44 psi maximum inflation pressure on OE spec, he very likely would have a tire blowout on the highway during that time with over-inflated tires exceeded the spec limit!

That's why IMO if a car manufacture has decided to go with tire pressure sensors, might as well to include temperature sensors and report those data back realtime to the driver. Rising tire temperature is the main cause for tire blowout!

I understand the difference between direct-read (with tire pressure sensors) and indirect-read (with ABS speed sensors) TPMS and the benefit of each. But if you want to go more expensive route for the system, why make the system almost hidden acting like the old system? (it is not like the old system and I have already listed the many differences but you keep repeating the same thing) Mazda should offer tire pressure readout for each tire with a graph since it has the capability now to make the new TPMS more useful to warn drivers more abnormal tire pressure situations. (Mazda could offer a lot of things, but the price on the '17 went up $40 over the '16 so that's pretty good)

Unfortunately new direct-read TPMS on 2017 CX-5 should be able to but can't warn over-inflated or under-inflated tires if the tire pressures are similar among all tires (Yes it can, the new system does not care if all tires are inflated similar as it measures individual tire pressures, not the rolling outside diameter of the tires like the previous system where all tires need to be inflated the same and then calibrated for it to work) like a 2017 CX-5 owner found out the hard way after driving 4 months / 2,000 miles with 45 psi in all of his tires. (Most direct TPMS sensors do not warn of over-inflation unless it is severe, over 50 psi, because there may be situations where you need/want higher air pressure up to the max psi on the tire sidewall. In general, tires do not run around gaining air, but they do lose air and can become dangerous when they do and the new system will catch this before you start driving or while you're driving)

Although each pressure sensor has its unique ID, how does the new TPMS on 2017 CX-5 warn the driver which tire has abnormal pressure without an easy-to-understand graph? (it doesn't as far as I know, but like others I'm sure it will in the future)

As for old TPMS on our 1st-gen CX-5, the system is good enough and did catch a low-pressure situation early on my friend's CX-5 with a tire measured at 20 psi. And I have never had a need to reset my TPMS after I adjusted tire pressure due to seasonal change and after the tire rotation.

Yeah my one and only flat tire in 20+ years that I've had while out driving was on the interstate in my Integra. One of my front tires went flat but I didn't realize it at first (205/45 tires with stiff sidewalls). The steering just felt a little funny. I pulled over after about a mile, found the tire flat, so I put a rear tire on the front, put the spare on the rear, and went on my way and got the tire plugged.

About a year later I tried to get the tires flipped on the rims and found that tire all shredded inside. Looked fine from the outside. So I had to junk that tire with only 15K miles on it.

It's hard to tell why your tire was blown and Mazda's TPMS may not be able to give you a warning if the pressures on all 4 tires are similar. As an example from another thread a 2017 CX-5 owner who was driving his CX-5 for 4 months / 2,000 miles with 45 psi in all of his tires without any warnings from TPMS. Had he have a Touring or Sport with 17" tires which have 44 psi maximum inflation pressure on OE spec, he very likely would have a tire blowout on the highway during that time with over-inflated tires exceeded the spec limit!

That's why IMO if a car manufacture has decided to go with tire pressure sensors, might as well to include temperature sensors and report those data back realtime to the driver. Rising tire temperature is the main cause for tire blowout!

Wrong again.

Under-inflation can effect handling, causes too much of the tread to touch the road leading to increased friction and overheating and blowouts.

Over-inflation can effect handling, treadwear life (especially in the center of the tread), and braking traction, but may be beneficial or even necessary when carrying additional weight which will alter the contact footprint of the tire. Over-inflation is not over-inflation if it is within the branded recommendation on the sidewall of the tire.

You may be able to get by it with rebuild kit at first set of new tires. Then you still need to replace these expensive tire pressure sensors for your 2nd set or 3rd set of tires if you plan to keep your CX-5 long.

My 2000 Corvette with 85,000 still has the original tire pressure sensors and they work fine. Local tire shops changed the tires but never messed with the sensors at all so my experience does not match your opinion. I can read the pressure in each tire on the console and get alerts if low, which is the way the new CX-5 should work.

In my 83 Town Car while traveling on the highway I stopped to walk the dog and noticed a front tire was almost completely flat. I had no idea in that light steering car that the tire was low.

(it is not like the old system and I have already listed the many differences but you keep repeating the same thing)
No I fully understand the difference between two TPMS systems. I was not referring to direct-read TPMS in general but specifically the new TPMS in 2017 CX-5 which should have some tire pressure display like others with direct-read TPMS. Not until a smart member tomcat1446 noticed the different valve stems on new 2017 CX-5 when he reviewed it after so many others had done it and no one had noticed the difference on TPMS. The new system in 2017 CX-5 apparently can't tell which tire is having the problem, nor warn the driver if all pressures are similar but either too high or too low altogether which just like the old system, as indicated by the example giving before which is 10 psi over recommended tire pressure but the new TPMS failed to give any warning. As I stated before had that 2017 CX-5 owner have 17" OE tires with 44 psi maximum tire pressure and you really think those tires running at 45 psi won't have any risk of blowup or thread separation?
Mazda could have re-used much cheaper old system until they have tire pressure display ready with those expensive tire pressure sensors.

(Mazda could offer a lot of things, but the price on the '17 went up $40 over the '16 so that's pretty good)
Since new TPMS on 2017 CX-5 with expensive tire pressure sensors doesn't provide more information than the old system on surface, why can Mazda simply re-use the old and much cheaper TPMS like in many other countries until they're ready to fully utilize the tire pressure sensors with a nice real-time tire pressure display?

(Yes it can, the new system does not care if all tires are inflated similar as it measures individual tire pressures, not the rolling outside diameter of the tires like the previous system where all tires need to be inflated the same and then calibrated for it to work)
I've repeatly said I know direct-read TPMS can do much better but not the new TPMS on 2017 CX-5. It's a waste of money to me with a system can't fully utilize its potential with higher and unnecessary maintenance cost.

(Most direct TPMS sensors do not warn of over-inflation unless it is severe, over 50 psi, because there may be situations where you need/want higher air pressure up to the max psi on the tire sidewall. In general, tires do not run around gaining air, but they do lose air and can become dangerous when they do and the new system will catch this before you start driving or while you're driving)
Many tires such as popular Michelin Premier LTX and OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A all have maximum inflation pressure at only 44 psi. What a new TPMS system is good for if it can't give you any warning with the tire pressure exceeded the limit? Warning or not, with a real-time tire pressure display like Nissan Rogue and others with direct-read TPMS, all problem solved!

It's also possible to gain tire pressure due to seasonal changes. When I set my tire pressure at 39 psi in February and by May they all go up to 42+ psi if I don't release some air out.

(it doesn't as far as I know, but like others I'm sure it will in the future)
And until then, add those expensive tire pressure sensors with tire pressure display.

Wrong again.
Which part I said you think is wrong? (uhm)

You believe there's no risk of blowup running 45 psi on tires with 44 psi maximum inflation pressure limit?

Back