2007~2015 CX-9 Timing Questions

My water pump went out in my 2011 Mazda CX9. To avoid spending $2200 on the repair I have decided to do the job myself.

I am using the guide listed here:

As well as several youtube videos. I made great progress yesterday but now I have come to my first issue and its a big one.

While I was removing the crankshaft pulley with a breaker bar and holding the camshaft with the cam tool the lower sprocket slipped on the chain at least 3-4 teeth before I realized what was happening.

So now I am left with an out of time situation and cant line up my timing marks.

How do I get the engine back in the correct timing? Do I set to TDC then remove the main chain then set the camshafts to their proper location and move on?

There are colored links on the timing chain and there are dots on the sprockets that line up with those links.

I hope you used the special tools that lock the camshafts in place? If so, they should be fine, you will just have to move the crankshaft a little to get back to the correct position.

There are videos out there that show how to change the chain in a Ford Edge. Check this one, for instance:

If you had the top cams locked with the tool you can just rotate your crank back clockwise to the TDC mark. That is if I’m fully understanding what happened.

My water pump went out in my 2011 Mazda CX9. To avoid spending $2200 on the repair I have decided to do the job myself.

I am using the guide listed here:

As well as several youtube videos. I made great progress yesterday but now I have come to my first issue and its a big one.

While I was removing the crankshaft pulley with a breaker bar and holding the camshaft with the cam tool the lower sprocket slipped on the chain at least 3-4 teeth before I realized what was happening.

So now I am left with an out of time situation and cant line up my timing marks.

How do I get the engine back in the correct timing? Do I set to TDC then remove the main chain then set the camshafts to their proper location and move on?
I'm having the same problem...

Go to harbor freight and get the electric impact gun, I used the Bauer high torque one, loosened the bolt in 2 seconds. Removing a crankshaft bolt with a breaker bar never ends well.

Latest posts

Back