2013~2016 Timing Chain Failures?

I don’t recall a single report of a failed timing chain on a CX-5 here. The vehicle they’re looking at in the vid is the discontinued CX-7 that I don’t believe had a SkyActiv engine.

Didn't get to watch the whole video, but safe to assume that this CX-7 has a 2.3 L DISI turbo... same one as the Mazdaspeed 3 and speed 6, wasn't too uncommon to hear of timing chain issues with these motors.... rest assured these motors have nothing in common with the new skyactiv motors, so it's not very indicative of how long the timing chains will last when comparing the two; different designs.

I drove a CX7 for 85,000 miles and was active on the CX7 forum. I never heard of a timing chain failing. The CX7 did have early issues with turbo seals and MAZDA was quick to offer extended warranty and replacement as needed.

I drove a CX7 for 85,000 miles and was active on the CX7 forum. I never heard of a timing chain failing. The CX7 did have early issues with turbo seals and MAZDA was quick to offer extended warranty and replacement as needed.

Maybe yours is ok, but there was even a class action law suit for the 2.3 liter, involving the timing chain, which seems to be due to the VVT system... in another thread I wrote a long "article" explaining how the 2.3 liter was a "franken" motor(some parts were shared with the 2.0 liter, while others were specific for the 2.3 liter.... in the long run Mazda found out that it wasn't a good idea and the 2.3 liter wasn't thoroughly tested enough as it had inherent problems, thus when they released the 2.5 liter, it was a scaled up version of the 2.0... no shared parts with the 2.0 but same essential design, just scaled up[CAD]... essentially.)

Just search how many issues there are with the DISI 2.3 liter turbo, involving the VVT system, hence affecting the timing chain. Not saying everyone has it, but seems like a relatively known issue.

-------------------

While driving (under 2,000 RPM), excessive stretching of the timing chain can cause a knocking / rattling noise.

Walkthrough on fixing it yourself:

--------------------

Anyone had a timing chain failure?

This guy has posted a few videos of him replacing Timingchain around 80000 Miles.

Others: https://www.youtube.com/c/AutoRepairGuys/search?query=timing+chain+mazda .

My 2016 CX-5 GT has 91k Miles on it and unknown service history so I wonder if I should open it up and have a look?

I know Mazda says it's good for the life of the engine, but if if the chain is the death of the engine then it's a bit circular logic...
What is the best timing chain kit brand?

Being old school,I still to this day wonder about timing chain wear with the thin 0w-20 oil.Next year I plan to run 5w-30 thru the warmer months.Maybe winter too.The bearing clearances are about the same as the GM 3800 V-6's I had and they did fine with 5w-30 in winter.May not make a difference except peace of mind.Who knows? What's the opinion of some of the other members here,especially those of us that cut our teeth on 10w-30 and 10w-40?

My teeth are still sharp & pointed having done 240k miles & 100k miles on 2 Ford 4.0's and 100k on a Speed3 using 20/50 Mobile1 and just recently being forced to be satisfied with 10/40 on my '16 CX-5, there is NO WAY I will run cat piss. YMMV

Last edited:
Being old school,I still to this day wonder about timing chain wear with the thin 0w-20 oil.Next year I plan to run 5w-30 thru the warmer months.Maybe winter too.The bearing clearances are about the same as the GM 3800 V-6's I had and they did fine with 5w-30 in winter.May not make a difference except peace of mind.Who knows? What's the opinion of some of the other members here,especially those of us that cut our teeth on 10w-30 and 10w-40?
The new GF6/SP oil specs that went into effect earlier this year include reducing timing chain wear

The new GF6/SP oil specs that went into effect earlier this year include reducing timing chain wear
Thanks for the update,I wasn't aware that this was addressed with a new spec.I wonder what they did to the oil and moreso,WHY they did this.Has there been a large amount of timing chain wear issues with the thinner oils that this was needed.I haven't heard.

My teeth are still sharp & pointed having done 240k miles & 100k miles on 2 Ford 4.0's and 100k on a Speed3 using 20/50 Mobile1 and just recently being forced to be satisfied with 10/40 on my '16 CX-5, there is NO WAY I will run cat piss. YMMV
With those grades of oil,you must live in a warm climate and run the hell out of your cars.Cat piss.LOL

Idemitsu 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil claims the following improvements over GF-6 standard:
  • 30% more protection against engine wear
  • 26-46% reduction in oil consumption for longer life
  • Up to 24% improved fuel economy
  • 90% more resistant to viscosity increases
  • Three to four times more protection against cold startups
  • 91% reduction in low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI)
  • 6% cleaner engine
40096F50-3BCC-4B10-8075-3BA6D1C17A68.jpeg

It doesn’t mention more timing chain protection though.

Last edited:
Yeah there’re plenty talks that watery 0W-20 oil would fail to protect timing chain in the long run. As for using 5W-30 on 2.5L, based on Mazda’s official viscosity chart we should have no problems of using it unless your winter temperature is below -25°F!

C1B0B63D-995F-4AD3-81C5-289D27E8C253.jpeg

DF9EA93F-82B5-43CF-BAE1-4A1B57B7E956.jpeg

Idemitsu 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil claims the following improvements over its GF-5 oil:
  • 6% cleaner engine
View attachment 233435

Now those are some remarkable improvements in the new formulation.Was the GF-5 really that bad?LOL. I'll use up the GF-5 I have and let everybody know when the engine wears out and gets dirty before it blows up.

Idemitsu 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil claims the following improvements over its GF-5 oil:
  • 6% cleaner engine
View attachment 233435

Regarding the Low Speed Pre-Ignition --- is it only an issue with turbo'd engines.And wasn't the high moly content in oils supposed to prevent this?

Back