Timing belt

Shkybonez

:
2002 Mazda protege 5
Well I took a look at the belt today and she needs to be replaced I was wondering due to lack of funds to do it the right way can I get away with just the belt and tensioner? The car has 125k on it I know I should do the water pump but the cars temp is always at operating temp can I get away with not doing it .....?

Sure.

A lot of cars have the water pump driven by the timing belt, so if it seizes the timing belt goes with it, but that's not the case with these, the water pump is driven by the serpentine belt. You'll have to essentially do the job twice when the water pump fails though.

An Airtex timing belt kit with water pump is around 100 bucks shipped from Rockauto. I wouldn't skimp for 30.00, my time is worth a lot more than that.

There's no reason not to do the pump. It adds 20 minutes to the job and pumps aren't that expensive. Find the cash.

Ok thanks guys I go ahead and do it ... I just ride the motorcycle to work a few days until the parts arrive ��

You should be critical of the parts that you buy, the water pump in particular.

Advance Auto, Autozone, Orielly's, and the like sell garbage water pumps. I'd rather have an OEM pump with 120,000 miles on it than one of their lifetime warranty pumps. Perhaps one of those stores offers a higher end pump, but their lifetime warranty pumps are junk.

I bought both the timing kit and pump for my car from Rock Auto. Don't recall the brand at the moment, but I have 125,000 on the water pump and 105,000 on the belt kit. I had originally replaced both the belt kit and pump at the same time, but then the belt tensioner spring broke after 20,000 so I redid just the belt kit.

Ok so I did the timing belt, tensioner and so on now I have a po300 code I've replaced the coils word and plugs and it's still there idle drops to around 600 rpm and is fine when given gas any ideas?

photo.php

Shkybonez,

Not sure if the image will post, but the Specs are only a pinch above your current RPMs (650-750; +-50). I have the opposite problem. I just did mine yesterday, and now my idle RPMs are up to 1200. I am trying to locate the AAS screw, but I only see one screw in that location. An actual engine pic (photo) with an arrow to the actual screw would be appreciated, esp since there is a big caution note at the TAS screw maybe an inch away.

And if anyone can tell me how to properly post an image, I would be grateful for that too.

Back