Ticking sound from drivers side wheel well

06Mazda5

06 Mazda 5 Sport 160000Mi
:
2006 Mazda 5 Sport
P. S. Drained 3 quarts of tranny fluid and replaced with new along with some lubeguard platinum and some Mobil one. Old fluid was dark but didn't smell burnt or anything.

That will be nice if it's something simpler with the rear and you don't have to replace the drivers cv axle. Glad you got the passenger side all fixed up.

06Mazda5

:
2006 Mazda 5 Sport
Well, I replaced cv shaft on both sides now and the transaxle seal on the left side. Took tires, brakes and rotor off on left rear. Turned the hub by hand and heard a definite grinding noise coming from the rear wheel bearing hub assembly. That has probably been the source of my ticking noise. Thank you bsedgal for suggesting my rear tires as well. Could have sworn it was coming from the front. Guess I'll be replacing both rear hubs in a few weeks. 😡 Oh well, it least it is nice to know where the noise is coming from. Thanks for your responses. I will up date as soon as I have those replaced.

thaxman

Mazda5 the Anti-Van
Are you sure that the ticking isn't a wheel weight hitting a suspension piece? You said new wheels, and very few people get wheels thinner than OE, so there is a good chance your backspacing decreased to the point it is hitting something like the ABS sensor, or, since yours is <10 years old, the TPM sensor (have no idea where the receiver is, I roll old skool).

06Mazda5

:
2006 Mazda 5 Sport
Thanks thaxman. I have a day off coming up in 3 days. I will take a look at that. If the weights are hitting the abs sensor, I am asumeing that I should see some damage on the weights or sensor. Ill report back next week.

thaxman

Mazda5 the Anti-Van
Thanks thaxman. I have a day off coming up in 3 days. I will take a look at that. If the weights are hitting the abs sensor, I am asumeing that I should see some damage on the weights or sensor. I’ll report back next week.

Nah, probably not. just feel around with weight on the suspension (so use ramps) searching for very low clearance spots by the inside wheel rim.

I thought the noise began after running something over and persisted even after getting new tires. Not sure why you guys are talking about the new tires being the cause.

06Mazda5

:
2006 Mazda 5 Sport
I dont own a set of ramps, but I was able to take a close look for any clearance issues. Every thing looks ok. I might want to add, that I dont hear the noise when I first start driving. It usually take about 10 to 15 minutes of driving before the sound appears. As if something needs to warm up before it starts to tick. Its the same weather I warm up the engine or hop in the car and drive without warming up the engine. Dont know if that helps. Also, the ticking is definitely coming from the rear of the vehicle. When I drive pass a concrete barrier, I can hear the tick even after my front tires pass the barrier and I hear it until my rear tires pass. I mean to say that I hear it all the time, it is just louder when I pass by something that the noise can reflect off of and it is louder to me then. I have not been able to change the rear wheel hub assemblys yet. Still shopping around. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good hub assembly. Im leaning toward Moog because of the cost. Are they any good? Thanks for all your feedback.

06Mazda5

:
2006 Mazda 5 Sport
I thought the noise began after running something over and persisted even after getting new tires. Not sure why you guys are talking about the new tires being the cause.
I hit something when it was cold outside and replaced all the rims and tires not long after that. I mentioned me hitting something because I thought it might be relavent. I didnt hear the noise until about 3 months later, when it warmed up and I could roll down my windows. The ticking could have been there before my accident, I just wasnt able to hear it because my windows were up. The sound could have started when I hit something on the freeway, Im just not positive when the sound started.

06Mazda5

:
2006 Mazda 5 Sport
If you guys are interested, I posted a couple of videos on my YouTube channel. I put a link to my channel as my home page, which you can view in the full mazdas247 view. One is of the ticking noise while I’m driving and the other is a sound I could hear in my transmission. The second video is before I changed my cv joint, but after I replaced it I could still hear that sound. I was wondering if that sound is normal. Thanks.

Latest posts