Thule 3160 Fit Kit can be unscrewed and stolen?

I have the Thule 3160 Fit Kit and uses 8 screws (6 point star pattern head) to secure to the factory side rail. It came with the 6 point star pattern hex wrench but anyone that also has it can unscrew them from the factory side rails and steal them it seems.
Can anyone comment about this?

Attachments

• B27D0ED8-89D3-4D9B-8F1B-397EAD633285.jpeg
    B27D0ED8-89D3-4D9B-8F1B-397EAD633285.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 113
It's a "security" hex because there's a bump in the center. Nothing is ever thief-proof. We can only think of it as theft deterrent device.

It's a "security" hex because there's a bump in the center. Nothing is ever thief-proof. We can only think of it as theft deterrent device.
Thanks for the reply, yes it does have a bump but anyone with the same Torx / Hex key can unscrew it from the factory roof rails it seems since this Torx / Hex key came with ALL 3160 fit kits!! 😳

Yeah, anyone can purchase those security bits. I have a set in my garage. However, just because some one CAN do something, doesn't mean they WILL do something. Most thieves are opportunistic, and if something is easy to grab, they will grab it. That isn't to say that all thieves are that way, but those are the ones that will be deterred by those little screws. The ones that you have to worry about are the thieves that will steal because they want something. Unfortunately, you have to get creative to make it difficult for them. In other words, don't become a creature of habit.

Yeah, anyone can purchase those security bits. I have a set in my garage. However, just because some one CAN do something, doesn't mean they WILL do something. Most thieves are opportunistic, and if something is easy to grab, they will grab it. That isn't to say that all thieves are that way, but those are the ones that will be deterred by those little screws. The ones that you have to worry about are the thieves that will steal because they want something. Unfortunately, you have to get creative to make it difficult for them. In other words, don't become a creature of habit.
I remembered those 8 screws are of decent length and it takes about 30 minutes to unscrew all of them from the side rails. Also I am thinking about using black Roofing Caulk to caulk the heads that way it will take even more time to dig into the heads before using the Torx / Hex wrench to unscrew them.

I remembered those 8 screws are of decent length and it takes about 30 minutes to unscrew all of them from the side rails. Also I am thinking about using black Roofing Caulk to caulk the heads that way it will take even more time to dig into the heads before using the Torx / Hex wrench to unscrew them.
30 mins because you were careful not to scratch the paint. But I do agree with you and comment about. Most thieves are just there for easy opportunities and if they target you, then they likely know the ins and outs and have proper tools to steal it. The caulk can definitely ease some of the paranoia. Or maybe black vinyl tape to "hide" the screws.

30 mins because you were careful not to scratch the paint. But I do agree with you and comment about. Most thieves are just there for easy opportunities and if they target you, then they likely know the ins and outs and have proper tools to steal it. The caulk can definitely ease some of the paranoia. Or maybe black vinyl tape to "hide" the screws.
Or super glue / epoxy that hardens after it dries (might leave white stain). Roofing caulk seems to soft since I have some in the garage.
Edit
Heck add black roofing caulk last to add additional layer plus its black.

There’s only so much you can do. If someone is willing to take a sawzall to your catalytic converter at 3am, then a few security screws aren’t really much of a problem to the dedicated thief. Most thefts in my area are committed by homeless…excuse me, “dwelling-challenged” individuals. The standard outfit is a repainted bicycle and a backpack. They prefer small items that can be easily carried and quickly sold. A Thule rack is neither of those, so the odds are in your favor that nobody will look twice at it.

There’s only so much you can do. If someone is willing to take a sawzall to your catalytic converter at 3am, then a few security screws aren’t really much of a problem to the dedicated thief. Most thefts in my area are committed by homeless…excuse me, “dwelling-challenged” individuals. The standard outfit is a repainted bicycle and a backpack. They prefer small items that can be easily carried and quickly sold. A Thule rack is neither of those, so the odds are in your favor that nobody will look twice at it.
Thanks for all the comments people hopefully common sense and being cautious on where to park along with Epoxy on the screw heads will deter anyone from unscrewing the screws from the fit kit. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back