Those exhaust tips are hideous

Agreed + comment

altspace said:
Woah people. Opinions respected please. I too have thought the same about the exhaust tips. I love the rest of the car but was disappointed when I looked closely at that one design element. Sure, other cars have incorporated the same idea including many classic 50's Ford Thunderbirds and Corvettes. Though their execution of the design was fluid and not disrupted by such seperation from functional to asthetic. Simply put, I think Mazda designers wanted a unique look but could only afford from a practical standpoint what we see today.

In anything from clothing to MP3 players there is always a disconnect when it comes to producing something that looked great on paper, then in the case of a car, the clay model, to the prototype. In the case of the MS6, I believe seeing very early prototype models with a slightly different rear facia. But in the end it is usually a battle between the original design team and the bean counters. Usually the compromise is somewhere in between.

Thus I am sure when counting pennies as it is in the automotive industry, it could have been more cost effective to install some metal heat shield/psuedo exhaust tips and save the $$$ on true polished stainless steel muffler tips that would undoubtedly cost many times more.

I know there will be some of you that will simplify this and state, "I just spent $30 for this car, what is another $50? Just add it to the price and do it right the first time!" While there may be some merit to this line of thought, the final outcome is decided through corporate bureacracy, MARKETING and the all mighty dollar, these people may not even own the product they are selling. So they use focus groups (I have attended in the past) to gather statistics and crunch them into a target budget and we have our final product for the particular market. (Do a Google search on what the JDM EVO VIII has that the USDM one doesn't and when you find out, you will be jealous of how theirs comes equiped from the factory, but then how many of you would be willing to shell out $40+ for an EVO?) (shocked)

But in reality people that is why there is an aftermarket isn't there? We are ALL enthusiasts and as such can never leave well enough alone any way right? (thumb)

This concept?

Mazda-6_MPS_Concept_2002_800x600_wallpaper_05.jpg

Magnaflow Exhaust

I dont know why those of you that do not have a magnaflow exhaust are saying it melts the bumper regardless. I have had it on my car since I bought it which was last april and have yet to had the bumper melt at all. Most people have fixed the pipe in place with another hanger but I haven't had the chance and so I just have a little vibration while it is at low rpm's. You have very little soot collect on the bumper as well since most of it settles on the pipe itself or gets forced out by the exhaust. I guess those that had their bumpers melt had the pipes constantly sitting against the plastic.

ok wow this thread is getting heated...so I thought perhaps I should share my knowledge having discussed this issue with a mazda developers at a recent dealers conference...The whole small tip big hole thing was an improvise between functionality and looks...the design people wanted a lower "looking" rear bumper trim to make the car look aggressive....the engineers however realized that this is an awd...and that means you have to have room to either go over or under the rear axles...in addition the ms6 has a very short axle to bumper length, meaning you have to consider the muffler end of things...as many of you had mentioned I specifically asked if it was so big on purpose for aftermarket exhaust, their response(2 gentlemen) was absolutely not, it was once again a comprimise between what the design people wanted aethstically and waht the engineers could provide functionally...but as many have mentioned this is easily fixed...and for those of you bashing mazda as he only idiots who do things like this...next time you have the chance go take a look at a 92 911 turbo...same problem...owners had the same complaint...my partner owns one and we actually swapped out the tips to fix it....like mazda they made a comprimise between performance and functionality...though in defense the gap on the 911s wasn't quite as bad...from memory it was about a half inch gap all the way around between hte actualy exhaust and the chrome "body" tip...

Having a bigger outlet than the actual exhaust piping is normal on upscale cars. I have been observing this lately after reading several threads on this subject. Acura TL, Subaru Legacy, even a BMW X5. Granted these have been set up so there is no visible space like on the Speed6, but it is common. I think it has something to do with projecting an image of power (bigger exhaust equals more power in people's minds). As has been stated repeatedly, if you don't like it you can change it the same way you do anything else on your car. Instead of arguing about the validity of the company having done it this way, why don't we instead work together to come up with some ideas to inexpensively fix it so it doesn't look so funny?

I have the same disgust for this cheesy excuse for an exhaust, for that matter the whole bumper set up is really lame and I would rather just have the standard 6 bumper with the cutout on the bottom edge of the bumper.
I have contimplated purchasing the regular bumper and having it painted but the cost of doing it and the fact that paint usually does not match up very well has me losing interest in that option.

I have looked at purchasing aftermarket tips to be installed but we have such a short amount of actual "straight" pipe after the muffler because it bends up and off the side at the same time and does not seem to center up in the bumpers hole so that the tip would sit right.
Most tips I have tried have been around 6 inches long and that is just far too long to fit, Magnaflow offers a stainless 4 inch tip with an angle cut that I thiink will work best but they cost $50 each and then the cost of installing them (if they come close to fitting), but it's just too close to Christmas and I need some new BfG's for my truck.
But if things change and I try them I'll post pics. for you guys to see, that is if I don't need some kind of sign with a name, rank, and serial # to be allowed.

my advise would be to go to autozone and play around with the reducers in thier exhaust sections...they're only about 3-4" long and have big size jumps...you have about an inch of room to play with inside the actual "bumper ring" so you should be able to slide an OD over the exhaust and the ID inside the body tips...i'm willing to bet you could get it within 1/8th inch of the bumper hole size...and it doesn't have to be chrome being as that the outside of it will be covered by the bumper ring and the inside will be coated with carbon anyways...and to keep it from rattling I would prob wrap it in a layer of header wrap...which will make it nice and snug and take out any remaining gap...if you really wanted to get tricky about it you could wrap the reducer about 1/4" back from the end then use jb weld to fill in the gap kinda like a caulking job....it doesn't have to be perfect due to the fact A. you have to be lying on your back in the first place to see it, and B. it'll be covered by black carbon after 15 minutes...

Last edited:
About a month after we bought our '05 6i something (industrial lawn mower I think) mangled the tip on the passenger side while she was at work. Mazda told me they had to replace the entire muffler which was around $350.00 plus install.
I checked out a couple of muffler shops and Midas was able to get me some stainless Magnaflow tips that are the same shape only a little bigger. They removed the factory tips, cut off a short section of the tail pipe and welded the Magnaflows on. The best part is I do not have the round tail pipe inside the stainless tip look that the factory ones have. Tips and install $100.00.

new6fan said:
About a month after we bought our '05 6i something (industrial lawn mower I think) mangled the tip on the passenger side while she was at work. Mazda told me they had to replace the entire muffler which was around $350.00 plus install.
I checked out a couple of muffler shops and Midas was able to get me some stainless Magnaflow tips that are the same shape only a little bigger. They removed the factory tips, cut off a short section of the tail pipe and welded the Magnaflows on. The best part is I do not have the round tail pipe inside the stainless tip look that the factory ones have. Tips and install $100.00.

Oh noes...a SOLUTION!(shocked)

As he stated, that was an '05 6 "i" not a Speed 6, completely different rear end and different muffler set up.

Check out the Lexus 450h if you think that the MS6 is the only car with this setup. I wonder if the Lexus owners are complaining about their exhaust tips as much.

R

thay are fuctional as a heat resignator the turbo exhaust of the speed6 comes out at 1600 degres and those help desipate the heat and reflect it from the bumper i tried to run exhaust pipe at stock size without fonny tip around the block and the bumper was hot and started to smell like burning car!

occschemguy said:
thay are fuctional as a heat resignator the turbo exhaust of the speed6 comes out at 1600 degres and those help desipate the heat and reflect it from the bumper i tried to run exhaust pipe at stock size without fonny tip around the block and the bumper was hot and started to smell like burning car!

and in English this would mean? (lol) J/K

occschemguy said:

Strange. Remus' exhaust for the MPS (Europes MS6) has pipes that fit in the stock location. I would guess if this would cause the bumper to burn/melt they would have fiured that out by now. . .

1600 degrees? Really? Seems a bit high.

Gandalf said:

1600 degrees? Really? Seems a bit high.
Maybe at the downpipe. but by the time it gets past the resonator its way lower. He is flat out wrong with his info.

1killercls said:
Maybe at the downpipe. but by the time it gets past the resonator its way lower. He is flat out wrong with his info.

I dont think even at the downpipe you'll see 1,600 degrees. More like 500.

Back