This cant be good

Ok, so does anyone know the little plastic pipe(labelled calloway) that bends to the right, right in front of the intercooler, so that it blows air away from the intercooler. Well I popped my hood open the other day and it seems to me missing. Im guessing a gust of the air it shot out must have knocked the cheap piece of plastic clean off while I was cruising at highway speeds. Now my question is, how bad is this for my car. The air blowing out is no longer being redirected. What are the chances of my car overheating, or even detonation? Maybe im just being paranoid, but better to be safe than sorry. Has this happened to anyone else??
BTW -no negative side effects yet

um that doesn't shoot air. it directs the induct away from the fan blowing hot air. that is attached to the air box my friend. oh and don't worry about it. it really doesn't do much. but you'll be taking in warmer air cuz of that intercooler fan.

My bad, I knew it had something to do with redirecting air, but I wasnt sure which way it was comming from. I hope I dont sound like a moron now, but at least I know I dont have anything to worry about. I appreciate it. Thanks

don't worry about it. you learn something everyday. just drive carefully cuz that warmer air might cause some stalling. i say might mind you.

Mine fell off a couple months ago... Not a big problem.

The airbox probably loads up with a little more hot air at redlights with the fan blowing, but on the highway the air is so turbulent under the hood I don't think it makes a difference.

It is a poor poor design anyway, they may as well have put a fan shcroud on the radiator to pipe it right into the intake... any weather above 90 and it is such a dog!

Bring on the INJEN!

Gazord said:
Mine fell off a couple months ago... Not a big problem.

The airbox probably loads up with a little more hot air at redlights with the fan blowing, but on the highway the air is so turbulent under the hood I don't think it makes a difference.

It is a poor poor design anyway, they may as well have put a fan shcroud on the radiator to pipe it right into the intake... any weather above 90 and it is such a dog!

Bring on the INJEN!

So what does the Injen intake do if it is above 90? I thought it just pulled air from the wheel well instead of under the hood. Does it have something that actually cools the air?

Fakhelek said:

So what does the Injen intake do if it is above 90? I thought it just pulled air from the wheel well instead of under the hood. Does it have something that actually cools the air?
It gets VERY hot underneath the hood..

(Experiment: Do this.. One night find a long & curvy (or straight for that matter) road and just go at it for a good time. Then pull over, open the hood and look at your turbo. It's more than likely glowing red, literally.)

Anyway, that heat is being sucked into your engine as it's trying to do it's work. That's not good. The Injen extends the piping so it's right behind the fog light area, which draws in less hot air (think about to the school days and the "hot air rises" concept) and more cooler air which allows the engine to breathe a bit more and run quite more efficiently.

:D

I wouldn't worry too much about that extra piping. I don't even have an air box in my car. It's been replaced with a cone filter and everytime the fan kicks in when it's warm, all the hot air blows right directly into the filter. I haven't felt anything wrong with the car. Nothing to worry about

Back