Thinking of turbocharging your P5? Here's a guide for getting started...

VTCS/VICS Removal

Would a turbo setup on a NA Protege5 require you to remove the VTCS/VICS with a 626 manifold? I didn't read anything about having to remove VICS/VTCS. It seems sort of obvious that you should, but is it required? Can you still run boost w/o removing it?

Hey guys i just boosted my P5 and what a difference. i do have a problem my engine light came on.
Its throwing a running too lean code (bank 1 O2 sensor)
I wondering if anyone might have encountered this problem
I replaced the stock ecu with a mazdaspeed one and i thought that would make sure the car is getting enough fuel while on boost.

is there anything i could check that might be causing this or its just a tuning issue i must get taken care of ASAP.

here is my set up:
garret gt28r turbo
wastegate actuator 6-7psi http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-028&Category_Code=VMSP
msp ecu
greddy rs BOV
mishimoto FMIC
ebay manifold
msp down pipe
water line throttle body re-route to turbo
sandwich plate oil feed and tapped oil pan
everything else is stock

the engine revs smoothly and sounds good but it seams to take too long for boost to build up

any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

The msp came with a t25 it might not seem like a big difference but it is. Get an ss afc and tune it before you blow it up

Yea everything is plugged in if it wasn't it would run like crap. But I'll double check better safe then sorry.
After the light came on I've been driving it very slowly and carefully I really don't want to kill my engine.

What other options on piggy back engine management are people using
I have been looking at both the split second one air fuel and fuel and ignition. Also looked at the AEM F/IC any other options there.
I'm also going to call local performance shops and see what they recommend

it is a possibility that the sensor went bad. I ll look into i hadn't thought about that.

ill start looking to order the ss afc too im sure im going to need it ether way

Hey guys i just boosted my P5 and what a difference. i do have a problem my engine light came on.
I replaced the stock ecu with a mazdaspeed one and i thought that would make sure the car is getting enough fuel while on boost.

is there anything i could check that might be causing this or its just a tuning issue i must get taken care of ASAP.

here is my set up:
garret gt28r turbo
wastegate actuator 6-7psi http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-028&Category_Code=VMSP
msp ecu
greddy rs BOV
mishimoto FMIC
ebay manifold
msp down pipe
everything else is stock

the engine revs smoothly and sounds good but it seams to take too long for boost to build up

thanks

Ummm...yeeeeah. That's called turbo lag, because the turbo you're using is typically used to support 300-350hp applications. It's going to take longer to spool up than a T25 because it's larger.

It also flows more air, roughly 400 vs roughly 525 cfm, so if your only fueling mods were an msp ecu, that's not going to be enough at high rpm, even at only 7-8 lbs. The msp was not designed as a turbo car from the ground up...it was basically a stock FS engine that Mazda asked Callaway to boost on a budget. So it has less room in the system to adapt to boost changes. You'll probably want to do something about your injectors.

hey guys thanks for the input
i took out my turbo and put all new gasket, im not 100% sure where the exhaust leak was but it was trowing off the ecu.
I also fixed some boost leaks
car is running nice now, no engine light and my exhaust no longer sounds like a weed wacker, im getting boost alot sonner and im actually getting about 23-25mpg(50/50city,highway)and thats with having fun here and there im sure i can get that number up if im easier on the boost.

i got the ss afc ill put it in when i get a chance and someone with a laptop can help me

here is my set up:
garret gt28r turbo
msp ecu
greddy rs BOV
mishimoto FMIC
ebay manifold
msp down pipe
everything else is stock

thanks
do you have a AF ratio gauge? if not get one, that will tell the story, also...the msp ecu is setup to run the stock msp setup, not what your running. you need a piggy back or standalone, and get it tuned properly

One more thing you could check is the A/R ratio of the exhaust housing on the turbo. It should have a .64 or a .86 cast into it. if it's .86 it's the bigger of the two and will take longer to build boost but flow better at higher volumes and rpms.

Hey guys! So I'm going to start putting together a kit to turbo my 2001 protege. I plan on using a used MSP turbo, manifold and S-pipe, and ecu.
going for a front mount from idn where yet really lol, and some oil and coolant lines and fittings from atp.

A couple things I've been wondering are:
Do you put any type of sealant on fittings when you screw them in?
Is Glowshift a decent gauge and sensor provider? http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/White-7-Color-Oil-Pressure-Gauge.aspx?sitelink=LeftNav
Also I think I'm sold on using a prosport oil filter plate to get my oil feed, but does anyone know if one of those cheap cross (4-way) fittings works well? It would go into where the stock pressure sensor is and (with a few adaptors) would allow me to take an oil feed, put the stock sensor back on and put on the aftermarket sensor ... Someone posted about that earlier but didn't really get replies :p

Thanks!

You can put something similar to plumbers tape on the fittings to ensure a good fit. Glowshift is cheap (AEM is nice, check Amazon). I'm not familiar with the Pro Sport oil plate, I'm using a T-fitting. Also, you said something about a cheap 4-way fitting. Don't use cheap. Oil lines are something you don't want to skip on or replace

hello guys,i am ready to do MSP built on my FS-DE,got all stuff needed,turbo and etc,exept ecu,my car is Premacy,but as i have checked,all sensors and other stuff are 100% as P5,so i am already dealing for ecu,i remembered,that i had the same ecu connection as P5,but today just checked one more time,to see what ecu is in my car,then i realised,that i have with different socket (i dont understand,why i thought that its the same,just it was in my head,that i was unscrewing that plug,since it has one screw to adjust,maby i remembered it from another car,cause i work as auto electric),my ECU is FS8V 18 881B,maby somebody know why is that,or maby because its European car,i was searching a lot for confirm,realy a lot,but no correct info was found,maby you guys had such a thing.Thanks in advance

Well I think the us is one of the few countries that use obd2 most countries do not use this setup and wiring ecu and many other things will change

mine is OBDII as well,just different connector of ecu,just ordered used ecu plug from one seller in Lithuania,that is parting out P5 FS-DE MT 2003,so i am going to change connector from mine to P5,cause thats the only difference,also ordered P5 FS-DE stock Ecu together with that connector,so i can test if it works after instalation.It would be enough just to flash that ecu to MSP,but i cant find anybody,who can do that in Lithuania,so anyway will have to get ecu shiped from member 95blkprobe.

Back